Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 19, 2002, 3:45 PM   #1

Default New Kodak DX4330

I have been looking at the new Kodak DX4330 since before It was officially announced recently. However, I don't know a great deal about digital cameras, so was wondering what other peope think about it...does it sound good? And how long will it be until I see reviews of it on the web? Especially on this site, as they seem so thorough? I really want it now!!!

Thanks, Jon
jonframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2002, 2:51 AM   #2

i have here of that cam
mdorani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2002, 3:25 AM   #3

Jon,
The DX seies seems designed for people that are afraid of thier computer with gimics and big megapexil numbers. Digital zoom can be done with software after picture is taken, but digital is just bigger and blurrier. Would not touch a digicam with annything less than a 3X optical zoom. For inside/outside the 3x ok, for the great "outdoors" 6X optical min.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2002, 6:47 AM   #4

Default dx4330

Yeah it has 3x optical zoom, complimented by 3.3x digital zoom so seems pretty good for the price. I just want to see that other people who know more about them, have used it/reviewed it and okayed it! Especially the video recording - that seems so cool, I want to see a sample video but only seen one for the ls240 (?)...not too bad, and its a lower megapixel camera.

I'm so impatient!
Old Aug 20, 2002, 7:35 AM   #5

jon,
You will find that the 240 has more than enough res for the video clip. 320x240 tends to be it. Great small files to send over the internet nomo, also use of the digital zoom will destroy the quality of printed pictures. The cam or software has to "guess what the larger size infrmation is. Just big and fuzzy.
Good Luck,
Gary
Old Aug 20, 2002, 10:35 AM   #6

Don't rule out the Kodak too fast. My first digital was a Kodak. It was super easy to use and still gets used a lot at family functions, mostly by others. If I give my dad my camera to take a picture, he freaks, too many buttons and stuff. If I just hand him the old Kodak, and remind him 5-8 feet from subject when using flash, I get back a lot of good candid shots, that I would have otherwise missed.

Mine is a truely P&S fixed everything camera, which can produce good snap shots (no AF, no shutter delay, very very very seldom out of focus) within it's limitations. The limitations are very limiting, more red tone than I'd like, low light shots without flash isn't going to happen, but it wasn't a waste for me either, even though I outgrew it fairly rapidly, because I wanted more control.

It isn't designed for those who like to tinker, but for those who want simplicity. I don't know anything about this Kodak, but I'd not fail to generally recommend a Kodak to someone if I knew they would only be frustrated by more options. They just need to know what they're buying and what they're not. The 3x optical is a plus, mine only had 2.5x digital zoom, which I never used. The newer models have more pixels, so can be enlarged, and I'd bet it's still easy to use. That is Kodak's selling point. They don't make really great cameras. They generally make really easy to use cameras that are nearly foolproof and can take decent shots, which is all a lot of people want.

One thing about the newer Kodaks, how is battery consumption? Mine was great, but seems that I've heard that newer ones are hogs. Of course the sales person said the same about my camera which turned out to be untrue.

So Jon how much control do you want? Good luck. ar
A Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2002, 12:28 PM   #7

AR,
My remark was at the DX series. Have had a 215 and 290. to prersent dx series has either no optical or 2x optical. I have not seen white paper on the new one, but a 3 mega already released w/o optical zoom is a total turn off to me. "and when i get my next .....""
Gary
Old Aug 21, 2002, 1:33 AM   #8

yeh i have the Kodak DX3600 its verynice
easyest to use. good colour. but the file size of the pictures seem to be very small of ex. 1600x1200 = 500k where the other cams like nikon or sony r 800mb to 900mb .. in 2mp... realy all the kodaks r low in flie size meaning more pixels will show.. but anyways its good for prints go and buy it. im very happy wit mine and all the others i have
mdorani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2002, 9:16 AM   #9

Default 4330

Well, tell you all what if anyone really wants to have a look at the specs and tell me what they think....its going to retail for like 299 I think.....tell me your opinions! I am not at all a beginner to technology, and like lots of buttons but not on a camera I can't be bothered I like tinkering with pictures on a PC but I'd prefer simplicity on a camera, providing it produces good results. and with the l=kodak colour technology and stuff, will this camera provide this??? That's the question...hmmmm???

There's specs at:
http://www.kodak.com/global/en/digit...4330Spec.jhtml

Thanks, Jon
Old Aug 21, 2002, 11:44 AM   #10

Jon,
Looked @ white paper, finally 3X optical on a DX, long overdue. Reviews by the experts like steve will tell the real story. Whitepaper kind of like a movie trailer, sometimes its the best part.
Good Luck,
Gary