Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 15, 2013, 10:02 PM   #11

I've always had a distaste for adobe and the way they do business so I've always avoided
using any of their products unless there was absolutely no practical choice...

When I first heard about this my gut reaction was, "adobe just shot themselves in the arse...!"

I still feel that way...

D7k with old/new glass and a few other things...
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 11:21 PM   #12

No company of any kind is too big to fail. The worst thing they can do is change something that works. You can't tell me that they can't copy protect their installation cds? They do it for cheesy movies all the time. Allow for only one installation without going through a security screen. There are ways of protecting your software. This is a money grab, plain and simple. Adobe may not go under, but I think they will feel the backlash of this decision.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 3:22 AM   #13

i dont think there will enough changes in cs7 from cs6 to make it worth while a lot of people changing, a bit like microsoft are finding with windows 7 to 8, a lot of people, me included are perfectly happy with 7, so they try bully tactics to make people upgrade like saying the next version of DX will be windows 8 only.
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 8:33 AM   #14

Although I totally disagree with what Adobe is doing here, Here is Scott Kelby trying to explain the positives of the CC thing. I guess for people who use the Whole Adobe suite, it might be a good thing.

http://kelbytv.com/thegrid/2013/05/0...reative-cloud/

MAR's Flickr
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 9:16 AM   #15

Robert - it isn't really about unauthorized copy - they already have pretty good controls. It's about a continuous revenue stream for a relatively mature product. I skipped 5 upgrades - and lots of other people are similar. They tried to nudge people by not updating their RAW converter with new cameras but people just convert in other products. For businesses using Photoshop and Illustrator, Adobe needed to find a way to force the revenue to come in.

They're a business. They need to make money. And do it with a relatively mature product. Right now, they're banking on the notion that the guaranteed revenue stream will offset the customers they lose. If they're wrong they'll go back to what they've done in the past. But, I think they'll be fine. Remember, photo editing is really a small part of this - it's about graphic design - there's a reason why businesses use the suite of products - they're industry standard (in graphic design industry). And there is definitely benefit to multi-media companies working with an integrated tool environment - design, layout and video. Just like Microsoft Office Suite is.

As a photographer, I don't like it. As a businessman, I completely understand it. As an IT professional, it's a good business model - BECAUSE they are the industry standard for integrated graphics/photo/video

I don't think you'll see this behavior for their other tools because the model won't work for them - there is too much competition for photo editing software.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 9:23 AM   #16

in fact I see yesterday Adobe publicly confirmed Lightroom will remain a stand-alone package (and there are no plans at this time to move it to subscription based).
Old May 16, 2013, 9:35 AM   #17

John,
I have not used the MS Office Suite in years, switched to liberoffice (free) after working a while at a large IT company that had made the switch to OpenOffice (also free)

OpenSource projects are neat , after this Adobe cash grab I'd say it is possible someone else might decide to come in to try to develop a unified graphics environment the Open way.
Can only hope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
And there is definitely benefit to multi-media companies working with an integrated tool environment - design, layout and video. Just like Microsoft Office Suite is.

As a photographer, I don't like it. As a businessman, I completely understand it. As an IT professional, it's a good business model - BECAUSE they are the industry standard for integrated graphics/photo/video.
Old May 16, 2013, 10:34 AM   #18

Peter - I agree. I use openoffice at home. But no way the corporation I'm working for would go a freeware route. Too much risk. You can't open a severity 1 problem ticket with Open Office Unlike office though, I doubt you'll see a freeware attack on the Adobe Creative Suite - just not enough people using that type of software. We have freeware - like Gimp - for photo editing because so many people use it. But the entire creative suite is a different ballgame. It would be nice though for any competition. I just don't think we can rely on open source providing it in this case
Old May 16, 2013, 11:22 AM   #19

Before I started using digital cameras, I was scanning photos and working with them. I took on a project that involved graphics design, digital art and photo manipulation. Looked at Photoshop and liked everything about it but the price (the project wasn't that lucrative). Went with Photoimpact instead, which included a lot of the extras that were additional cost add-ons with Adobe.
Haven't regretted it a bit. Found that many things could be done quickly and simply (as well as much cheaper).
Adobe is a large company, and has the installed base, as well as the knowledge base to keep it on top, but that doesn't make it the best choice.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 3:30 PM   #20

It will be interesting to see if they do give up on the cloud business, or if the more steady income stream makes up for the loss of customers.

Photography is my hobby, I don't make any money at it, so there's no way I can justify a monthly bill for software. I've managed to keep relatively current on photoshop by being eligible for the academic discount. I'm sure that most people like me will feel the same way and just keep what they have, giving up on any additional upgrades. I'll be sad to do that, but I get along very well with cs6, have no intensional of upgrading my computer for a few years, so it isn't so bad.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote