Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 16, 2013, 2:46 PM   #21
Administrator

I think it will probably work out for them in the long run. They no doubt weighed the pros and cons and looked at their potential profit model before taking this step.

Lets take a look at something like Photoshop CS6.

Even discounted, you're going to spend in the neighborhood of $600 for a copy of it if you're a new user (versus upgrading from an older version). Even amazon (which has pretty good prices compared to many vendors) is getting over $600 for it:

http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-65158237-Ph ... B007R0RKV8

If you shop around, you can find it for a little less, but not a lot less if you go with a reputable vendor. For example, B&H (one of the better known vendors of products for photographers) has it for $579.99 right now:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... details&Q=

As for a lot of other vendors, make sure you're not getting a pirated/counterfeited copy that you may have issues activating. As the old saying goes, "if a price looks too good to be true, it probably is"

You can get better pricing if you're upgrading from a previous version. But, even the upgrade pricing is pretty steep.

Yea... the Adobe Creative Suite products (Photoshop, InDesign, Dreamweaver, Premiere Pro, etc.) are not cheap.

But, personally, I think Adobe's move to subscription plans will probably pay off for them. That's because photographers that were hesitant to spend $600 for something like Photoshop can now use it with a much lower cost via a monthly subscription plan, versus needing to invest a lot of money for it up front.

That also means they'd get new features with newer versions, without spending hundreds of dollars to upgrade each time Adobe releases a new version.

As for continuing to use the same version year after year, one problem is that you don't get the latest features, and you may upgrade your camera model and find out that it's no longer supported by an older version of Photoshop.

That's because Adobe doesn't continue updating the Camera Raw plugin for the old versions after a new version of Photoshop is released (meaning that if you buy a new camera, you may have to upgrade to newer version of Photoshop if you want support for converting raw files from that new camera model; unless you want to use something like the free Adobe DNG converter, which means a multi-step process in order to open your files)

So, a subscription plan solves those issues, at a lower cost than you'd have upgrading to each new version of Photoshop as they're released.

Not everyone is going to like it. I'm seeing lots of threads about Adobe's changes in various photography forums, and many users of their products are not very happy about it and want to change to another product going forward.

But, I suspect that they'll make a lot more money overall, especially considering new user subscriptions, even if they lose some of their existing users that don't like the idea.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 8:10 PM   #22

While I understand the business model and the need to make a profit in order to pay the development costs associated with offering the user community the type of software that we value (while also making a profit to stay in business), I look at this step being taken by Adobe to "lock-in" their user base as a short term fix as far as their profits go. It's being penny wise & dollar foolish as far as the average user is concerned.

I think I'm pretty average in my thinking that I DON"T LIKE being 'locked in' by paying a monthly fee for something be it software or Cable/Satellite or a land telephone line.

Most people rebel against being forced into being locked in paying a monthly fee for a tangible item that we, up to this point were able to buy and I'm not alone in my thinking (based on the responses).

As for buying new cameras and being able to continue to use the "old" version of CS6, I'll happily use the RAW converter supplied with the camera, then import it into CS6. Or, until such time when some one comes along with a better solution.

I don't have to go any further back than 'Polaroid', a company that thought they came up with the best way of locking up their customer base by supplying them with a camera that forced their user base to buy their film.
It worked for awhile.

"sayonara" Adobe

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 8:09 AM   #23

Fortunately this is solved if you are a lightroom user.
It has the adobe camera raw converter, and works well with an older version of photoshop specified as an external editor.

At least until adobe decides to fix that low cost option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
you may upgrade your camera model and find out that it's no longer supported by an older version of Photoshop.
I've been buying and upgrading photoshop (every other release) long before it became the CS suite.

But as Inspector Clouseau said when he destroyed the Steinway "Not any more"
Old May 17, 2013, 10:19 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
Fortunately this is solved if you are a lightroom user.
It has the adobe camera raw converter, and works well with an older version of photoshop specified as an external editor.

At least until adobe decides to fix that low cost option.

I've been buying and upgrading photoshop (every other release) long before it became the CS suite.

But as Inspector Clouseau said when he destroyed the Steinway "Not any more"

Lightroom is a great organizational program with (IMHO) the most important part of Photoshop's editing program, Adobe's Camera RAW.

Unfortunately, what LR lacks is the ability to layer. Something I can't live without.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old May 17, 2013, 10:52 AM   #25

Layers and a lot more, no need for photoshop!
onOne works with Lighrtoom, Aperture or standalone.
http://www.ononesoftware.com/products/perfect-layers/

It is part of onOne Perfect Photo Suite 7, (in 2012 they had a 50% discount on Black Friday!)
Old May 17, 2013, 5:05 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
Layers and a lot more, no need for photoshop!
onOne works with Lighrtoom, Aperture or standalone.
http://www.ononesoftware.com/products/perfect-layers/

It is part of onOne Perfect Photo Suite 7, (in 2012 they had a 50% discount on Black Friday!)
Thanks for the heads up, Peter.

Old May 18, 2013, 8:33 AM   #27

Interestingly enough, DPR has a little write-up of 10 photo editing packages. One of which is Corel's Paint Shop Pro. I used it years ago and it seemed pretty good. And Zig, it has layers! Here's the link to the little write-up on the packages:
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/664...rent-photoshop
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2013, 9:54 AM   #28

Yes, Corel purchased Photoimpact from Ulead a few years back, and incorporated a lot of its technology into PSP.
I had been working with HDR for over a year when it was 'discovered' by the PS gang and turned into the greatest thing in photography since glass lenses.
I'm happy that Photoimpact hasn't gone away, but has been taken up by yet another company and kept up. I may need a new version one day.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2013, 11:17 AM   #29

Maybe with this new business direction adobe is taking some of the other photo editing software
companies can grab some market share from those seeking alternatives... More business for them
means they have more development money to improve their products... This could be the best thing
ever for the end-user and the worst thing adobe could have done to themselves...

Yep, I think adobe really DID shoot themselves in the arse...!

D7k with old/new glass and a few other things...
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2013, 2:33 PM   #30

Hi All,

Thank you all, for all of your input on this topic. If anything has come out during this discussion, it's the fact that, we have lot's of choices as far as photo editing is concerned with my guess being that there's more to come.

AND that's a good thing.

Zig