Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 8, 2013, 5:50 AM   #1

Default Adobe's CS7 subscription on the cloud

Adobe recently announced that Photoshop CS6 will be the last version that you can actually buy. CS7 and all future releases will be available on the Cloud only by monthly subscription.

I'm not sure how feel, but to me Adobe just wants to get into my wallet.
Yes, I know, I've read all their hype about users now having the ability to access their software from any pc/mac in the world.

Personally, I think they are doing a diservice to their user base.

What do you think?

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2013, 8:01 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Adobe recently announced that Photoshop CS6 will be the last version that you can actually buy. CS7 and all future releases will be available on the Cloud only by monthly subscription.

I'm not sure how feel, but to me Adobe just wants to get into my wallet.
Yes, I know, I've read all their hype about users now having the ability to access their software from any pc/mac in the world.

Personally, I think they are doing a diservice to their user base.

What do you think?

Zig
CS6 will be the last version I will ever buy from Adobe.
Old May 8, 2013, 8:27 AM   #3

This isn't a surprise - lots of professional software is driven by licensing /subscription fees. Remember, Photoshop is really a graphic design tool. Like everyone else, Adobe wants to make money. However, business' are in a bind and very often now only upgrade software when it is absolutely necessary. Consequently, I'm sure Adobe has seen a drop in revenue. Yes, this will cost them business with the amateur photographer but that's not the bread-and-butter buyer of Photoshop. I bought CS6 recently just because I was still working on CS so I figured it was time and I got a student discount. In reality, I use such a small amount of the product. In another 4 years when it's time to upgrade my software again, I'm sure there will be a package in the $200 or under category that meets my needs.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 8:42 AM   #4

You've hit something that I have been harping on lately on twitter/google+/fb

<start soapbox>
Try to find the CS6 package, Adobe seems to have done a good job of hiding any link to it.
All you get when you look for CS6 upgrade now is links to the new CC stuff.

They have also said the purchased version of CS6 will get no further enhancements, all new features will only show up on the clod version.

And mentioned that LightRoom5 will be available on both "the Cloud" and as a download version (for now, that is the same way cs6 started off).
http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjour...ive-cloud.html

They have turned everyone into permanent renters, (19.95$US/month for a single product)
you can no longer purchase a version (pay once) and stay on that version if you happen to like it.

Only way out of paying monthly forever is to find alternatives.

I've been buying Photoshop upgrades (every other release ie: CS1, CS3 CS5) and lightroom for many years but this has
PO'ed me enough I've started to look at alternates like GIMP http://www.gimp.org/

Which is turning out to be a very nice and capable product (and free!)
If you are a RAW user GIMP through the UFRaw product (also free) can open just about anything.
http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/

Only way to let Adobe (or any other company that tries this money sucking tactic) know what you feel about this attempt at wallet vacuuming is to stay away from their products until they change their ways.

</end soapbox>

Last edited by PeterP; May 8, 2013 at 8:48 AM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 8:52 AM   #5

You did read the license that came with it?
Using the student license discount version of PS for any business related reasons is a no no.
They seem to expect when you cease being a student you upgrade to the full non-discounted license.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
and I got a student discount.
Adding comment:
it will cost them more than just the amateur photographers,
I know a lot of small businesses (portrait/wedding studios and stock shooters) that are part of my local association, who only upgraded photoshop every few releases to keep costs down.

Last edited by PeterP; May 8, 2013 at 9:02 AM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 6:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
I know a lot of small businesses (portrait/wedding studios and stock shooters) that are part of my local association, who only upgraded photoshop every few releases to keep costs down.
It is not limited to portrait/wedding studios. Even commercial printers, including some online discount printers. That is why CS6 Illustrator and InDesign give the option to export in CS3 or CS4 so you don't hit them with an advaced pfd with functions they can't read. Luckily, my local printer (a mom-n-pop shop) has updated to CS6, so no problem with the marketing brochures I give them.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 4:41 PM   #7

G'day all

While this might -in theory- work in the big cities of big countries where there is extra-good/fast internet coverage, if they try this in outback Australia where there is meagre fixed-line & no mobile phone coverage for hundreds if kilometers between towns, it will fail abysmally.

I am currently touring the outback - yesterday's journey was a 250km drive over bumpy gravel roads between two towns I was visiting. In each town my wireless internet is fast enough for email and forums like this, but so slow that -sometimes- a screen image takes 90 seconds to fill the screen - tho 10 seconds is about normal.

Satellite comms are available to many farms and cattle stations, but it is no faster than the wireless I am using in the towns I go thru - and at $2 per minute the user will not spend too much time editing images this way

So if you cannot have [good] access to the internet, you cannot use the software ... and on that basis alone, the proposal will fail completely

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 5:06 PM   #8

Phil, there are many misunderstandings of how Adobe is implementing their new delivery method and what this means to people.
You do not need a constant connection to use the software
once it downloads it checks for a valid subscription at intervals maybe weekly or monthly.

I personally don't like the new model because it means you are paying monthly forever, if you stop paying the software stops working.
Unlike the old normal model where once you buy the product you can use it forever if you are happy with it and don't want to upgrade to a new version.

Much like you in the outback, I am in the northern Canadian bush for up to 2-3 months a year.
With no internet access at all unless we come out for supplies and a stop at McD's (with their free wifi). I would be dead in the water if it needed constant access.

For now I am sticking with LR4, CS5, and fiddling with GIMP, Adobe can keep the Creative Dark Clod they have created to help separate people from their money.

Read Scott Kelby's (Mr.Adobe) take on the new creative Clod
http://scottkelby.com/2012/my-adobe-...loud-quick-qa/
Old May 15, 2013, 8:17 PM   #9

If this happened in 1944....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67Iw9q2X9cU
greyowl750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 8:44 PM   #10

When I read the info and then watched another forums video on the announcement, my first two thoughts were Adobe is gonna fail in about 12 to 14 months (they may even regret doing this to the point that they bring the old model of boxed software back) and Lightroom 4.4 is the last software I will buy from them. I paid $79.95 for lightroom 4 (and it was not a student version, it was as an add-on to a laptop I recently bought) and if they wanted me to pay $19.95 a month for it I would be paying more than the original cost of the software in 6 months........

I saw the main reason for doing this in my opinion was to get more money from the customer although they said its because we pirate too many copies or share too many copies of their software with our friends and we need to start paying for it (I agree we need to pay for it, but too what cost).

Lets see where this leads to in 12 to 14 months
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote