Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 29, 2013, 4:54 PM   #1

Default COREL PAINT SHOP PRO PHOTO X2 Ultimate

Has anyone ever used this software? I know it's not the latest version but for 19 bucks it might be worth a try.
Old May 29, 2013, 10:38 PM   #2

Haven't used that version, but an earlier one I tried out seemed very competent. If I hadn't already had Photoimpact, I probably would have gone with PSP, partly because the programs are somewhat similar, and at one time Corel had purchased PI from Ulead, and used parts of it in PSP.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013, 8:46 AM   #3

I have Corel PSP X2 and it is a very good photo editor. Only problem with PSP products is there are not any books out there to help you use the software to its' fullest. There are loads and loads of You Tube videos for PSP that are very good.
Old May 30, 2013, 9:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Has anyone ever used this software? I know it's not the latest version but for 19 bucks it might be worth a try.
I just snagged this one on eBay http://goo.gl/t8CH8
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013, 10:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calicajun View Post
I have Corel PSP X2 and it is a very good photo editor. Only problem with PSP products is there are not any books out there to help you use the software to its' fullest. There are loads and loads of You Tube videos for PSP that are very good.
This deal I'm looking at comes with a few bonuses, one is a learning video by Lynda, whoever she may be.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 5:40 PM   #6

Lynda.com is well worth the $25/mo after trial...and it is month to month, no long term obligation.

Back to the original question...I have used PSP X2, and think that was the last one I upgraded too before transitioning to Photoshop with the assistance of Lynda.com. I used Paint Shop (before "Pro" added to name) since it was one of the core 'must have' shareware programs and during the ownership by JASC and Corel, updated every other version. X2 is a very capable software platform. Think of it as doing 95% of what Photoshop does - and will even use some of the Photoshop plugin programs. Historically, it has been so strong vs the version of Photoshop of its era, and at the low price point, that it basically forced Adobe to create Photoshop Elements and not water it down significantly just to compete at that pricepoint. Personally, I think PSP is still stronger than Elements.

While I transitioned and am using Photoshop CS6 for professional reasons and have avoided Creative Cloud. In a few years when I retire - and CS6 not supported with updates (like Adobe Camera Raw for new cameras/lens), there is no way I am going to a monthly subscription. I would return to PSP in a heartbeat. The only downside...there is no Mac version, so may be stuck with Windows despite my dislike of Win 8.0.

Last edited by tizeye; Jun 5, 2013 at 5:43 PM.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 8:21 PM   #7

I just got a promotional email from Corel. PSP X5 $46.99 ($36.99 upgrade) through June 16th. At that price for the current version, X5, why bother with several versions old X2?
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 11:07 AM   #8

I have used PSP for many years. My recollection (always iffy at my age -- can anyone with better memory confirm or deny this?) is that X4 was the first with anywhere near full 16-bit support for processing. I shoot raw and like the Capture NX2 platform as a raw converter. So I export the raw conversion when done as 16-bit TIFF and edit that in PSP. My Topaz plugins (which are supported under PSP) and X4 itself are able to work on the 16-bit data, which only gets down-res'ed to 8-bit when I am ready to output the image. There are still a few operations that are 8-bit only in X4, but they are few and far between. I imagine X5 is even better on this score. So I would vote with tizeye to go for the current version of the application.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 8:53 AM   #9

Nice to hear that PSP now supports 16 bit, that was the only reason I went to CS6. Guess I will be upgrading my current PSP-X13 to X15.