Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 17, 2004, 6:56 PM   #11

Thanks all for your replies! I feel better. So the oportunity for dust to get on the ccd is there, but should be minimal as long as I follow the guide lines. I can live with that.

Thanks
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2004, 7:13 PM   #12

I was concerned about this also, No more I clean it myself ( Nikons)when ever it needs it. And have had it since Feb 2003 and change lenses almost daily, Have cleaned 3 times, Common sence and care go along way here, I recomend getting the AC adapter and Eclipse cleaning solution and pec pads.http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning this is not that hard to do. Good Luck
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2004, 2:17 AM   #13

Has anyone ever damaged a sensor while cleaning??
Mork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2004, 7:11 AM   #14

Whenever im outdoors or in an environment where dust is apparant or obvious I place my lens and cam into a one gallon "zip-lock" bag and change it inside there.... Worked well for me in the past and so far...

Also I keep my lenses capped at all times and also in sealable plastic bags when not in use with packets of silica to absorb moisture... never had any problems...
mrkryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2004, 1:32 PM   #15

I wouldn't freak out about dust every single time you change a lens - there is a mirror and a shutter that provide some degree of protection while you change. Having said that, I usually wind up cleaning my CCD every few months. The Fuji S2 as well as most other DSLR's has a function to lock up the mirror and open the shutter while you clean it. I got a blower without a brush to get rid of the big stuff, then I use a cleaning kit I got from Far West Photo. It has a bottle of cleaner and some swabs. The swabs are like q-tips with a cloth over the tip folded so it makes a flat edge. I wet the cleaner with the fluid and wipe the sensor once in each direction with the swab and that's it. The trick is to be gentle. I check it by photographing a bright sky or something to verify it. Works every time!
LTBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2004, 3:57 PM   #16

This for most people shouldn't be such a paramount issue. All devices need good housekeeping to keep them functioning properly, whether it be a 35mm camera service interval, your cars oil change or your house's heater filters. Nothing in life is ever really "maintenence-free" that isn't disposable. I haven't seen any one brand more susceptible then another for dust on an imager just as no 35mm camera operates perfectly in dirty/dusty environments w/o cleaning and service. The only difference is how long the duty cycle is before you need to tune-up your gear. If anyone is that fearful of dust on an imager their better off with a f828, 5700 or S7000 that will yield moderate results and moderate functionality. If you want a higher plateau of performance and results you have to accept the increased amount of upkeeping and prevention it requires to achieve the results you paid more for.

Folks that buy Ferrari's pay 5K for service because their high end car requires high end maintenence to maintain tighter tolerences and technicians that are skilled in technology that surpasses the norm. If you buy a 13K civic with a 50,000 mile warranty your maintenence is thrown in or is significantly cheaper because the equipment is simpler, cheaper and easier to maintain.
Old Mar 10, 2004, 8:57 PM   #17

Has anyone damaged or know someone who has damaged their sensor while cleaning?? It seems to be a very uncommon occurence.
Mork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2004, 9:35 PM   #18

Ive only heard of one nimrod who damaged the ccd on a d100 by trying to clean it q-tips and rubbing alcohol... but that is darwinism at its finest....