Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 15, 2013, 3:01 PM   #1

Default is the canon 18-55IS lense a crappy lense

I moved up to an slr, 650d in january and i have read tons of stuff, tutorials etc, i have been shooting loads, i go to a few car shows too and wanted to take better pics than with my point and shoot, i have been trying to take a decent picture since i got it and no matter what settings i try i just cant get sharp pics, even in full auto it still takes rubbish pics, i get marginally better pics when i use manual and try out different settings myself, i have done loads of test shots of the same subjects with different settings, but it's no good, i'm thinking of just selling it and buying a bridge.
Andemk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2013, 3:39 PM   #2

No it is not a crappy lens. It is actually a decent lens. Pretty sharp. It is not by any means a L series lens. But for a kit lens it does a decent job.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 3:41 PM   #3

Also sample of the problem would help.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 3:57 PM   #4

Hi, not sure how to post a sample, i suppose you want exif data too? how do i do that?
Old Jun 15, 2013, 4:13 PM   #5

easiest way is to use flickr or photo bucket and link or embed the photos here. That way you can photo a higher resolution file. It is limiting on steves with the files you can upload.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 4:37 PM   #6

I don't know if trying upload a sample will make a difference because that's just discussing the problem with a particular shot and i am having no luck with anything, if i sit in the garden for example and choose something to photograph, i will try different apertures,exposure times, iso, different combinations, different modes, even full auto, but when i put them on the pc and zoom in they are soft or blurry. If i take a pic and it's out of focus i think right so i'll try a different f number, faster shutter speed, but even if i manage to keep re-adjusting until i get it right, which i have a few times, how would i ever manage to come back from a day out with any decent shots? when i walk round a car show for instance, surely you don't stand infront of each car trying and trying over and over to get a decent shot. Sorry if it sounds a bit whiney, i know photography doesn't come in a day, but i think it's a reasonable question.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 4:43 PM   #7

Is this your first dslr. And a photo would really help. Also are you using a single focus point or is the camera picking it for you. We really need to know how the photo is looking to try to figure out what is going one. And how much do you zoom in on the PC. If you are looking at 100% crop it will not look great with any camera. Even 75% crop is pretty blurry. I would keep it 25% and under when zooming in on the image.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 4:55 PM   #8

I use a single focus point exept if i try and use auto and then it uses multiple focus points, there isn't any way of disabling this either i don't think. I know zooming in massivley will start to look blurry but i will occasionaly take a pic of one of the kids for instance and then i zomm on on the pc and it is really sharp, the eyelashes, even the moisture around the eyes, and then the rest of the time it's soft But that is occasionaly up close, if i try and shoot something a few feet away, like a car or a building or plant life for example, i can't get sharp pics. Yes it is my first slr.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 5:10 PM   #9

Forgive me for stating the obvious- I assume the MF/AF switch on the lens is in AF...?
Also,the IS switch in the "On" position will help in most situations...
Whilst being a DSLR "newbie" various setting might seem daunting- and indeed with little knowledge might make things worse. However, if shooting in full auto mode, things should generally be fine.
As for the 18-55is lens- it's not too bad- sharpness is pretty decent,though some examples have slight fringing issues- though that shouldn't be a concern for you with your problem...
Try using the specific scene modes to see if that helps...
Failing that,you might have an issue with your lens... and might be worth trying another lens(which is known to be fine) on your body...

Last edited by SIMON40; Jun 15, 2013 at 5:13 PM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2013, 5:40 PM   #10

You really need to post a sample of the shot of a car that is not sharp in full auto, in aperture priority and shutter priority. There is something you are not doing right with your settings.

Got to dslrtips.com there are some video tutorial you can go through to help you with your setting.