Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticdesigns View Post
What I find interesting is . . . if one of those shooters wants to do more than what their cell phone can give them . . . what are they going to get? As you pointed out, probably not a cheap(er) point-and-shoot, as the improvement in the picture won't necessarily be that drastic.
That is the billion dollar question. Personally, I think we're going to see ILC cameras for "the masses" in the style of the Pentax Q, m4/3, Nikon 1 - small is definitely key.

Then you're going to have full-frame DSLR at the top end of the spectrum. Once these smaller form factor ILCs get focus right and get more lenses they'll dominate what used to be the APS-C DSLR market.

What will be interesting though is what FEATURES will drive that new market. While a small form factor will be critical - which implementation succeeds will depend on what features the masses really want. I posted in another thread I think better integration/control with the cloud and other devices will be key. The ability to shoot 1080p video and stream it directly and send photos directly to social media - AND offer remote control via smart-phone of the device (or remotely via internet). I think the future isn't about increasing image quality - it's about how to better integrate the photo/video capture device with other devices and social media. That's what I believe the masses want.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 12:07 PM   #12

Hi, I agree with all of you that smart phone cameras are the primary/only camera used by a lot of people. However, I see a lot of people toting DSLR's around, too. My wife is a piano teacher. On Sunday, he had a recital for her students. At the end of the recital, it seemed that more than half the parents were pulling out their DSLR's to take a group shot of the students. They weren't all entry level DSLR's, either.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 2:31 PM   #13

Flickr shows the number of pictures submitted by make and model of 'camera'. Last I looked, Apple iPhones had 3 of the top 5 spots:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoVW62mwSQQ

Craig
(Hmmm, no direct YouTube links here?)

Last edited by PvrFan; Jun 18, 2013 at 2:37 PM.
PvrFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 3:37 PM   #14

Just got back from a hot day at Sea World Orlando. in vast numbers were the smart phone, used by the not so tech people, I don't like labeling things but this was the way I saw it, the compact camera the high end bridge one stop fits all was out on the move around the park, I think people like this solution to carry around. also in good numbers was the interchangeable lens headed up by a lot of canon EOS cameras. my conclusion is that the smart phone is taking over from the compact but not the DSLR type cameras
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 3:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo View Post
Hi, I agree with all of you that smart phone cameras are the primary/only camera used by a lot of people. However, I see a lot of people toting DSLR's around, too. My wife is a piano teacher. On Sunday, he had a recital for her students. At the end of the recital, it seemed that more than half the parents were pulling out their DSLR's to take a group shot of the students. They weren't all entry level DSLR's, either.
This is something that struck me at my niece's wedding this spring. Several years ago, I (reluctantly) did the photography at a nephew's wedding and noticed that there were a lot of people with P&S cameras bobbing up and down, getting in the way. At the niece's wedding, there were more people with DSLRs than with P&S cameras, by a good margin.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 6:34 PM   #16

did my nephews last year and had the smart phone set all over my shoulder
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 10:41 AM   #17

Kids nowadays grow up with smartphones like the iPhone or Samsung. They don't want to be bothered with carrying a camera since the smartphones have a pretty decent camera already built-in. They can to all kind of things within the camera like cropping and editing with software. To top it off, they can sent out the pictures to friends as well as posting on the social media networks. You may say that kids these days are getting lazier than the older generations.

The reason why we see more people carrying Canon DSLRs is because Canon has a lion's share (65% ??) of the DSLR market. DSLRs are cheap these days comparing to the old days. $400 will get you a pretty DSLR or mirrorless interchangeable lens camera.

Amateur photographers with P&S in a wedding are a pain in the neck as they get in the way of a pro who is trying to make a living. It happened in a wedding I attended in Hawaii. I really sorry for the pro working in the wedding.

Depending on where you go, Canon DSLRs are the most popular in the North America. However in the Far East like Hong Kong and China, people prefer Nikon DSLRs. I saw more Nikons than Canons in the many trips I took there.
Mirrorless APS-C camera: Samsung NX100, Canon EOS-M.
M4/3 systems: Olympus OM-D-E-M5 and Panasonic DMC-G3.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 11:10 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCKSer View Post
Amateur photographers with P&S in a wedding are a pain in the neck as they get in the way of a pro who is trying to make a living.
Not just weddings. I was contracted to shoot photos for a prom. Take a look at the 3 in the middle - they're not looking at me. Even parents paying for photos help damage the results because they HAVE to have that picture RIGHT NOW so they can post it on facebook. This was the "best" of 3 photos of this pose where the most people were looking at me.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:41 PM   #19

my p&s is a Nikon aw100, and when I started using it and comparing the photos with my iphone there wasn't much to choose between them at all, which was surprising.
but should it have been? Nikon aw100 200 iPhone 500
most people get there phones "free" (or so they think) on a contract so don't really see how much these devices cost, but if your going to be paying that much for a phone with a camera then it should take good pics.
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2013, 5:02 PM   #20

JohnG

Just got back from a week at Disney.

Your post got me looking around while I was down there.

I did notice a lot of cellphones, but still a lot of point-and-shoots.

I did notice a lot of dSLRs. A lot more than I thought I'd see. Evenly split between Nikon and Canon. With one Samsung (GS10/20?) thrown in there for good measure. And one Sony.

Then that got me to thinking . . . that might just be returning to where we were before this digital camera thingy <grin> Like when my father walked around with an SLR (Pentax SV) hanging around his neck as he walked us kids around the park.

I didn't see nearly as much MILC cameras. I think I saw 2 Sony E mounts, maybe 2 m4/3 cameras. I thought I'd see more. Plus my Pentax Q around my neck.

What I thought neat was I saw 3 people walking around with Hero cameras.

What I didn't know going down was that there is free WiFi around the Disney parks. So if you got a camera that can WiFi to your phone, you can post better picts to your Facebook.
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote