Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 17, 2013, 9:46 AM   #1

Default Unofficial camera sampling from Disney World and future of digital photography

OK, so I just spent a week at Disney World. LOTS of people taking photos. Like many people on photography forums, I tend to pay some attention to what people are actually shooting with. Disney offered a much larger sampling of what I see in everyday life. Here's what I found.

By and large the VAST majority - 90% of people I saw taking photos were people using a smart phone. This included my girlfriend who has an iphone 5. In fact, I was in favor of it after comparing photos from it and from her 3 year old Canon digicam. I don't know about the other smartphones but the apple certainly does a great job for snapshot photos - which is what a vast majority of people want. AND, it's something they're already carrying.

I saw a good number of people with interchangeable lens cameras. The largest portion of them were Canon users - I'd say 9 of 10 people shooting an ILC were using a Canon EOS. The other 10% were a mix - I saw Nikons, a Sony and a couple Pentax. Then, just below that tier were some super-zoom parents. But there was a significant drop-off from ILC to superzooms I saw.

By far, in last place in this completely unofficial and unscientific viewing were non-superzoom digicams. I saw only 1 or 2 of those. I think for the snapshot crowd the smart phone is now producing photos "good enough' - especially when people already have it with them AND these people are sharing photos digitally anyway - texting the photos or posting them on social media.

That's the biggest takeaway for me - the smartphone is really going to take away the non-superzoom digicam market.

The ILC data I witnessed isn't surprising - it's fairly indicative of sales trends for entry level ILCs. Anyway, I just thought I'd share my thoughts and see what others have to say.
By the way, our trip photo book will be made by photos from a Canon 5dIII and an Apple Iphone 5. Sure the photos from my 5dIII are of higher quality - but MAN I had to lug that (and 1 or 2 lenses AND a flash) around to get those photos. All, while I was already carrying an iphone anyway. But my point is - even though we had a digicam - it's photos just weren't enough better to justify carrying yet another "something" around.

OK ramble over
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2013, 12:36 PM   #2

Depending on what lenses you were "lugging" around- you could wipe the floor with an iPhone thingy (yes,I don't have one...) in the IQ department...
But yes,most people just want a snapshot,a memory,a quick web-share- and for that,they suit their needs perfectly- never mind the obvious convenience...
I guess there are many "snappers" around- but few photographers...

If I was going to such a place, my "FZ" Panny would be with me- light enough and versatile enough to cover most bases...
The DSLR would be at home- it has specific uses- but not travel/holiday/general walkabout use....
Then again, I'd probably be craving the large sensor for night shots...
perhap's it would come with me after all....

Perfect travel kit...? FZ200 and a Sony RX1..?
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 3:16 PM   #3

A question about the phones with cameras - how much storage do these things have and how many photos can you keep on one? (OK, that's two questions, but they are related) The reason I ask is that many tourist/vacation destinations are not the crowded, urban places like Disney, but rather wilderness/natural areas, which don't have cell coverage. Would be rather upsetting for some to find they could only keep a very few shots until they got back to civilization.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 4:31 PM   #4

I have no doubt that the vast majority of people you saw just wanted a photo they could post on their Facebook pages. Before Smartphones and Facebook, most of them wouldn't have bothered taking a photo. So it's not like Smartphones are replacing P&S cameras; those photos probably would never have been taken. And for most of them, they'd have been better off that way.

The percentage of people lugging ILCs around Disneyworld probably hasn't changed very much over the park's history. What I think would have changed is that the Instamatics and Polaroids have been replaced with an even mix of Superzooms, P&S and Smartphones.

Except for the "Facebook" part, this is all good news.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 4:45 PM   #5

Im off to seaworld tomorrow so I will look at the camera usage there
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 9:22 PM   #6
Dig

Hi Brian:

To answer your question, smartphones, at least newer ones, can use 16, 32 or 64gb microsd cards. So storing pictures is not an issue. The new galaxy s4 has a
13mp camera that can also take 1080p video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
A question about the phones with cameras - how much storage do these things have and how many photos can you keep on one? (OK, that's two questions, but they are related) The reason I ask is that many tourist/vacation destinations are not the crowded, urban places like Disney, but rather wilderness/natural areas, which don't have cell coverage. Would be rather upsetting for some to find they could only keep a very few shots until they got back to civilization.

brian
Dig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:42 AM   #7

When we go to fun parks, I carry the wife's Canon T1i with her (she reminds me it her lens) Canon 17-55 f2.8IS lens. Not too big and heavy to carry around and it does a great job too. Will admit that sometimes, ok about half of the time, I use the green box while at the park. Yes, our iPhone 5's get use also during the day too.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 9:32 AM   #8

My wife's got us going to WDW for our vacation 1st week of July . . . so what camera I'm taking has been on my mind.

We went WDW back in 2010. Then I took my Nikon D70s with a superzoom. Kinda big. It did get in the way while riding rides . . . Back then, I didn't notice too many dSLR cameras around. As far as someone carrying an external flash, I think I only saw 2 guys the whole week.

Now, I've got a Nikon D5100 with a superzoom that I was planning to take this time around. It's smaller than the D70s.

But I also just recently got a Pentax Q (with the 01 lens) which I'm trying to get set-up to try it as my primary camera for this vacation. It's just so much smaller than any of my dSLRs that it shouldn't get in the way. Just trying to get an 02 lens before I leave so I can have a 28mm equivalent. And waiting for some spare batteries that I ordered way back when . . .

But I also like the waterproof cameras, so I've got my FujiFilm XP50 for the pool / beach days and if it rains. My thoughts on the waterproof cameras are . . . as everyone is putting their cameras away so they don't get damaged from the rain, water, sand or whatever, I'm pulling my waterproof camera out to capture my kids having fun. <grin>

Take care, Glen
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 10:01 AM   #9

Glen - I only took the external flash because I had to - my camera does not have a built-in flash . I guess my point was not about - what gear to bring to Disney - just more about what I see the masses doing. I think those of us that are on these types of forums forget we really are a rather tiny portion of the market. If it were a matter of a "vacation camera" I agree - the Q or Nikon 1 seem like very nice solutions. But, what I saw in Disney seems to reflect what I see anywhere I go where you're not talking about photography spots. For example, tonight I'll be taking my son to a local parade to kick off a community festival. I expect I'll see more people taking photos with cell phones there too and a lot less people with pocket digicams.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 10:45 AM   #10

John -- Yeah. I just found your post interesting because it was hitting so close to what is on my mind right now.

As for more people taking pictures with cell phones . . . I kinda get the impression that its not only people that are abandoning their cheap(er) point-and-shoot cameras and using their cell phones, but also that a lot of people that never had a point-and-shoot camera (or had one and never used it) are taking more pictures, because when they see something, instead of thinking oh, I wish I had a camera, they remember that their phone has a camera and they pull it out. So although cell phone cameras are calling the demise of the cheap(er) point-and-shoot cameras, it is probably a big increase in people taking pictures overall. So bigger market.

What I find interesting is . . . if one of those shooters wants to do more than what their cell phone can give them . . . what are they going to get? As you pointed out, probably not a cheap(er) point-and-shoot, as the improvement in the picture won't necessarily be that drastic.

Is the cell phone cameras something negative to camera manufacturers or a potential positive?

EDIT: That's my misc rambling for the hour. <grin>
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote