Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 17, 2004, 9:51 PM   #1

Default Digital To SLIDES ARGH

I just got hired by a travel magazine to do some shoots for them as well as stories. The problem is that they want everything on slides. IMAGINE SLIDES ARGH. Payment is quite good but I only have a digital camera. Enquired with my photo lab and he says the pics get distorted by 20%. Any idea if this is true or is there any way to counter it?
ALL HELP WELCOME
Cheers.
LYn
Sassalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2004, 11:11 PM   #2

Yeah...rent a film camera
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2004, 2:00 AM   #3

Film cams cost significantly less than dig cams, so if you can afford a dig, you can afford a film - esp when you'll be getting payment for your results in the end.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2004, 4:15 AM   #4

Why slides though????? I know the problem, my local photography club will only except slides for the state competitions.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2004, 9:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aladyforty
Why slides though????? I know the problem, my local photography club will only except slides for the state competitions.
If you want to measure the quality of the photograph and the skill of the photographer for competitive reasons, slides are the medium. You can't alter them (save pushing/pulling during development). You get what you take.

They also give the very best images for critical work. They are, and continue to be, the medium of choice for most professional photographers (although digital is beginning to take notice)
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2004, 9:49 AM   #6

ok...i will get a film camera... the question now would be what to get. Something that is okish and easy to handle for an Auto person
hehe
Sassalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2004, 11:02 AM   #7

A 35mm SLR would be best and they are showing up cheap used in camera stores and online auctions. If you go into a camera store they can steer you to one with a full automatic mode and a general purpose lens. And talk about an automatic flash attachment for it even if it has a built-in flash.

Iíve had good luck with refurbs. This one would be nice if you donít want to carry a SLR and donít want much in the way of manual control. http://www.heartlandamerica.com/Item...39+55921+57613 The biggest downside is that there isnít a hot shoe. Sometimes you need a flash and the little ones built into any camera arenít usually sufficient for interiors you would likely be photographing. A tripod can make up for that a little, but you would still be better off with the faster lens on the SLR for interiors even on a tripod.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2004, 11:27 AM   #8

I'd suggest that you look at a second-hand Nikon F5. That way you stay in the Nikon line (if you're happy there). Also, If you decide to buy additional lenses for the F5 you can use them on a Nikon digital body at a later date. The F5 will handle G as well as D type lenses so no worries there.

Regards,
Graham.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2004, 9:15 PM   #9

Hi, after being absent for a while I checked in again.

Sassalin; First of all share us your secret how you obtained a well paid photo reportage aasignement for a travel magazine, as a auto camera user.

Next as others pointed out slr is the way to go, for the sake of quality of the picture. Most point and shoot cameras have fair (upto horrible optics), exceptions exist ofcourse to confirm this rule.
You will notice it when shooting architecture or sun peaking in the lense.

I share Sassalins arch, I always understood that slide is more narrow in light min<-> max capture than negative film. So what quality standarisation does the magazine have?
If there is the slightest chance your photos could be used on front cover, don't save on lens or UV filter.
Buying a heavy 300mm top quality lens may also be overdone and even counter productive, but there are some very nice cheap alternatives. Always remember a slr is as good as the optics that come with it and the user.

A secondhand slr with 50mm lens can be great for peanuts price. But be cautious with secondhand plastic cameras, knobs and dials may be wobbly.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2004, 10:56 PM   #10

most annoying eh.

Most of my personal stock sales still require ether the original 35mm slide or a 2-1/4 repro quality dupe of it.

Some are currently willing to accept a digital file if it came from a 10mp or higher camera , I guess it will be next year that the P&S are out at 10mp. But what I have noticed is that it is a moving bar, and as the high end pro dSlr move up so does the minimum file size.

For the ones that want slides, I'm guessing it may be they are still setup to make their seperations from slides, and have not yet spent the $ to change their printing press .
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote