Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 15, 2013, 4:14 PM   #1

Default Archive Photo Storage

Thought it would interesting to see how people archive their photos and how much storage space it takes and how much total space they have set-up for photos. I will start this off

1.3TB of photos stored
2x 2T Seagate G-Shock Drives In External USB 3.0 Enclousers (1 used and 1 for future use).... recently moved to this system from Netgear Storage Central which has 2x 2TB ha drives in it. No longer compatible with my new Windows 8 laptop

All photos also backed up to CD/DVD/Blue-ray disc (since 2010 98% is to DVD or Blue-ray). All completed discs stored in anti-static type sleeves; all discs not completed-being added to are in slim line jewel cases. All discs stored in 4 draw Valutz DVD Storage box divided into 5 categories. I also keep at least 50 extra sleeves and 10 extra slim line jewel cases on hand for archive use and 25 to 30 regular jewel cases to give photos to people in.

Every photo in the archive is both on hard drive and optical disc

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2013, 4:51 PM   #2

G'day P5

A more extensive setup than mine
I guess it will vary for each of us as to whether any $$ or professional work is involved too

I have 2x duplicates of images on disk drives & use off-site storage too
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 4:13 PM   #3

My original way of storing photo files was on CD, then DVD with no back-up, later as I started using LR I kept the exported tiff file (an intermediate file) on a different DVD. My original thought was that no one but me would want the pictures, and if something happened to them, it was no great loss.

That is, until someone actually wanted some of my photos for a book that was being published. Then I discovered that several of the early CD's were no longer readable. For the book I was able to use the tiff files in the cases where the original was no longer readable, but it taught me a lesson that CD and DVD disks are NOT a reliable way of storing files.

Then I bought a eSATA docking station for bare hard drives and copied the CDs that were readable onto it, for an additional copy if more CDs fail. After discovering the bad CD's I started also keeping another external hard drive with the files, then got lazy about making the DVD back-up. I have a 1TB bare hard drive that is pretty much only backed up by the CDs. I have another 1 TB bare hard drive that is backed up by a portable 1 TB hard drive. The intermediate tiff files I was keeping on an additional 1 TB external drive (without a back-up), until it failed.

At this point my head was starting to spin about whether I had copied the files from the portable drive onto the bare drive or not, and sometimes I'd add or delete files from one or the other and they got out of sync. When the un-backed up tiff file hard drive failed, I decided that my method wasn't really working - too many external hard drives, too much to keep track of, too many cables. I finally bought a LeCie 10 TB (5 bay) RAID box with five 2TB drives. I have two sets of the drives mirrored (RAID1), one for the original files and one for the tiff files and final completed files. The last drive I use to back-up the computer, which means I don't need the other external hard drive I had for that.

Both the LeCie box and my new portable hard drive are thunderbolt and so much faster than what I had before.

All this turned out to be easier than I had expected to set up. Before the external hard drive failed, whenever anyone tried to explain RAID my eyes would glaze over and my mind would stop working. I spent a couple of hours one Saturday looking at LeCie's website and all of a sudden it made perfect sense, RAID 1 has two drives automatically mirroring each other and a few days later I had it set up without any issues.

There are cheaper ways of automatically mirroring a drive (RAID 1) than the way I chose, and I don't think everyone needs 6TB of memory. But I'm really happy with the speed gains I got and I no longer have to think about back-up.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 8:32 AM   #4

The subject of backing up files is a can of worms to me. Sounds simple at first until you start evaluating what you have, where you have it stored now, and then what is the best solution. That includes the process of transferring it in such a fashion that it is an improvement over what you have now.

Mine is a hodgepodge of different mediums used that makes no sense(as I look at it now).

MtnGal, I think you've just about gave me the solution I've been looking for.

Photo 5, thanks for starting this post.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 8:33 AM   #5

I'm looking a Raid or server setup, which ever my son make for me. My son is tired of me losing picture or just not able to find the needed picture. Do have a lot of pictures on CD/DVD and after reading this thread I'm going to check them all out this weekend and make backups to DVD's and external drive.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:51 AM   #6

This is my current setup.

3 x 1 terabyte drives in the imaging workstation for online editing work.
(primary copy of images)

Acronis True Image 2013 running regular scheduled archives to 2 terabyte usb3 external enclosure drives, (multiple drives in a rotation, so can always go back a generation or two if needed).
As well as a usb3 drive toaster for bare sata drives as needed.

Archive drives are replaced annually, old ones go into storage.

Also upload currently salable work to photoshelter (on the expensive side for what you get, but it works for me)
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:54 AM   #7

Take care with that option
I had a NAS (Network Attached Storage) raided storage unit before I went to my current method.
The raid controller board blew and cooked every drive in the unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calicajun View Post
I'm looking a Raid or server setup, which ever my son make for me. My son is tired of me losing picture or just not able to find the needed picture. Do have a lot of pictures on CD/DVD and after reading this thread I'm going to check them all out this weekend and make backups to DVD's and external drive.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 1:19 PM   #8

Well guess I'll have to send my son back to the drawing board.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 1:45 PM   #9

Not necessarily, raid units can be great and the correct type (raid5 or raid6) can automagically recover a failed drive.

But an occasional full backup of the storage unit is still a good idea in case of a disaster like a controller board going insane.

Raid1 makes 2 simultaneous copies of everything, and can continue to operate if one drive fails.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 2:11 PM   #10

I have multiple meda in distributed locations - for all records, not just photos.
Found out early on that CD/DVD backup can only be considered temporary, due to the organic dyes used. Unless you keep them hermetically sealed in a refrigerator, they start to deteriorate after a couple years, and after ten or so, may have major data loss. Happily, Blu-Ray discs use a different, metallic based layer, which only needs to be kept from strong light. The hard coating is also less prone to scratching from handling. Best guesses for Blu-Ray longevity exceed 50 years. Since I'm not planning to be around that long myself, I think I have found what I need without getting to technical (or expensive).

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote