Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 31, 2013, 3:52 PM   #1

Default Smugmug site totally redesigned

I've been a user of Smugmug Pro as a photo hosting site for some time now.
Curious to hear from users of smugmug your impressions regarding the completely new redesign of their site.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2013, 4:22 PM   #2

There must be something going around. Flickr made a whole lot of changes recently as well.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2013, 7:48 AM   #3

Hi TCav,

I think that there is ever increasing competition to photo hosting sites such as Smugmug, PBase, etc. that are eating away at their existing customer base. They have to continue to offer programs and updates to their existing customers in order to keep them & attract new users.
I have a Pro acct. which has an annual fee of $150. With it comes a fair amount of features that allows me an opportunity to show my work as well as sell my photos online without the cost of building my own website.
my understanding is Flicker does not charge. Is that correct?

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 8:15 AM   #4

On May 20, Flickr went through a massive change. Flickr doesn't use thumbnails anymore. Instead, it displays a "Justified" view that individually scales each image so it fits within a page. As a result, horizontal images get much more screen real estate than vertical images, but more important, pages take forever to display.

And recently, Flickr changed the layout of the Groups pages, making the discussions less useable, in favor of a "Justified" view of the Pool photos. It's a whole different look, and Flickr seems to ignore the problems and criticisms.

I'm a moderator for the Sony Camera Club, a sponsored group on Flickr, and I've been very disappointed with the changes.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 12:17 PM   #5

I hate the new Flickr layout....
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2013, 1:04 PM   #6

Flickr now gives everyone 1gig of space free the old concept of "Flickr pro" is gone, more space is available but a bit expensive.

Flickr does not permit use of their services for commercial uses, you can not try to sell from your Flickr site or use it to try to advertise another site.

You can make your Flickr images available to the Getty crowd source service,
which will try to sell those images for peanuts as royalty free.

Note that Yahoo the owners of Flickr also just bought Tumbler and are busy messing it up as well

Yes a lot of these services are changing (photoshelter also just made a switch to something they call beam) and the results seem to be more difficult to use on normal desktops. Maybe they are all trying to become tablet/smartphone friendly where you are touch swiping to move around.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 2:16 PM   #7

I think all these services think they're getting their butts kicked by Instagram, just like the camera companies think they're getting their butts kicked by smartphones.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 11:59 PM   #8

I agree with TCav that Flickr is somewhat "messed up" now. I liked it better before they improved it. LOL. I had a pro account before the change, and was grandfathered in. I still pay my usual yearly fee.

I have an ipad2, and I find that Flickstackr is an awesome app. I never use the Flickr app anymore. On the PC, however, you have to suffer with the new changes. Maybe if enough people complain, they'll change it back. We can hope.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 3:23 AM   #9

have had a smugmug account since 2007... had my site the way i liked it, and had to completely re-do it. still can't get quite what i want, but close enough that it's not worth changing for, especially given what the other hosting sites have to offer. i think smugmug felt that their product was getting stale, and they wanted to offer subscribers newer, flashier, more "hip" designs. frankly i don't care much about that; my site is simple, clean, easy to navigate, and that's all i wanted. a lot of grumbling going on over on the D-grin forums, but i don't think too many people will abandon ship just yet. smugmug says it will be "many months" before they start forcing people to migrate to the new site.

Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering...
~ Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 5:31 AM   #10

Hi Winston,

I too, was happy with my "old" gallery. Got caught up in the hype that was being made by the founder of Smugmug and ended up changing my site to something I'm not particularly happy with. But, I just don't have the time nor frankly, the enthusiasm to devote to this project. So, I'll leave it be until the dust settles and try again in the winter.

By the way I did take a peek at your site. Great body of work.
zig