Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 3, 2013, 12:21 PM   #1

Default bad Canon SD4000IS???

Hi!

I bought a Canon SD4000IS when it came out. I was very happy with it until last year when I started having trouble focusing and shooting pictures. I'm hoping someone can give me an advice what to do....

The problem is that my pictures now are never clear even in broad daylight. It takes longer to shoot. And then if I need to use flash, it takes forever to take a picture and even then, it is out of focus! God forbid that someone else is taking pictures, it come out as a blur?!

Nothing unusual happened: no drops, no contact with water, no sand. I cleaned outside lens, I have two battery packs... it is just slow! Is it possible that the camera is dying after only few year???

This is my third Canon and I wouldn't change previous ones but I had unfortunate accidents I don't know what to do with this one: it is worth fixing? Or it might be something silly? I'm going to have a baby soon so I would really like to be able to take nice pictures without trying for 5 minutes...

Thank you!
goddessofspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2013, 1:00 PM   #2

The first thing I would try would be to find in the camera manual how to reset it to factory default settings. Secondly, sometimes leaving the battery out of the camera for a day will reset things that have glitched.
Third, the batteries get weaker with age, and if you have had both batteries since the camera was new, it is possible they are both somewhat weak, so trying a new battery might help. (this is also a likely reason why flash pictures take longer)

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 7:18 PM   #3

Hi Brian!

Thank you for your suggestions. I tried resetting and leaving battery out.... but it didn't work I can't find someone with same battery. I guess I need to go to the store and ask to try new ones. However, if it is up to battery, why is focusing so bad even in daylight???

Thank you.... or anyone else who has a suggestion!
goddessofspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:21 PM   #4

Well, the battery does power the focus motor, and the IS, so there is a chance it could still be the problem, and would be less expensive than replacing the camera.
The problem, of course, is that if it doesn't fix the problem, you are out the cost of the battery, and will need to replace the camera.
I would give serious thought to finding a new camera, though. They do tend to get more advanced with every year, and with a new baby, you are not going to want to worry about the camera.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 3:39 AM   #5

Try formatting the SD card "in-camera".
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote