Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 20, 2002, 4:31 AM   #1

Default Is there picture delay on all digicams?

Do all digicams record a different image to the one that appears on the LCD just before the picture is taken? Ive got a Pentax Optio230 and getting good pics is proving really difficult. I keep missing the moment! I do use the LCD viewer.Please help.. I'm considering changing to something like a Fuji finepix S602 to get better results.
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2002, 5:10 AM   #2

Julian,
This is as fast as it gets... Might be ordering 1 today for myself. Can be ggotten for $499.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_reviews/e100rs.html

Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2002, 7:36 AM   #3
lg

Julian, are you using the "pre-focus" function of your camera? Most cameras have the capacity to depress the shutter release half-way and hold it there, setting the focus and exposure. To take the picture, depress the shutter release fully. If done this way, there is very little delay; on my camera, it's almost instantaneous. If this isn't the case, then you won't find a faster camera than the one Gary's recommending.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2002, 9:01 AM   #4

Hi Julian,
The answer to your question is no, but the vast majority of digicams are consumer or prosumer models and they have two factors which delay the image.

First, as mentioned in lg's post, there is the autofocus time. This is the time which the camera needs to properly set focus and is by far the longer of the two factors contributing to the delay in image capture. As he said, if you pre-focus and hold the shutter half way down, there will be much less delay in acquiring the image.

The second factor is called shutter lag and is the time after focus, white balance, and exposure have been calculated which the camera takes to actually acquire the image after you depress the shutter all the way down. This time varies somewhat, but is usually less than one second.

The professional digicams and higher end "semi" professional models like the Canon D30, D60 - Nikon D100 - Fuji S1, S2, etc. are extremely fast at both autofocus and image acquisition. Most people would not notice any difference between the "semi" pro models and a normal film camera in this regard. The true professional models like the Canon EOS-1D, Nikon D1, D1h, D1x, Kodak's series of pro cameras, etc., have for all intents an instant shutter response. That is, you press the shutter and you get the image. This comes at considerable expense, however. The lower end "semi" pro models start at a bit over $2000 without a lens and true pro models go from $4500 upwards to well over $7000.

Lin

[Edited on 8-20-2002 by Lin Evans]
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2002, 12:49 PM   #5

Default Big thank you

You guys are fantastic and what a great website...... this sort of help usually costs money. Thanks..... I hope your next photo is your best yet!
Regards Julian
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2002, 1:07 PM   #6

Default Ezekial as a photographer

The shutter lag business is a real PITA. In addition to the other strategies already mentioned, I try to use the same strategy I use wih film ... that is anticipation. I try to shoot before the event .. it helps that I am a descencetn of biblical prophets.
Steves is offline   Reply With Quote