Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 19, 2004, 6:00 AM   #1
NHL

Default Kiosks, Minilabs To Fuel Photofinishing Rebound

Quote:
Eckerd. ''We used to talk about how many rolls we developed in a year. That's history. Now the name of the game is prints, and people are getting lots more of them.''

Her digital print volume has doubled in the past year, she says.
http://www.forbes.com/business/2004/...nnacor_ii.html
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2004, 6:29 AM   #2

The investment patern certainly fits with what's hapening in the UK, more print shops offering printing from Digital etc. They are having to make a major new investment but I've not noticed many of them going out of business.

Home printing is great if you want control of the end to end process but it is expensive and time consuming. I now tend to print less than I did and I'm considering moving to smaller paper sizes to help cut costs. As it is the prints are filed and very rarely looked at.

As many new camera buyers look to digital I don't see them all wanting to home print. How many prints they end up with may be determined by the size of the memory cards bought.

Regards,
Graham.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 9:59 AM   #3

Yes, I agree the ones that can afford to get good equipment will probably do quite well. Places like Costco and wallymart seem to be able to produce really good prints from digital on the spot. Only limiting factor is the output size, mostly seems to be max of 8*11 or so though one around here can output 11*14. I don't think this will be a problem as most people want smaller prints like 4*6 anyway.

And the self serv kosiks seem to be showing up in a lot of places like grocery stores.

I have even seen(at least look at the advert) a tour boat operator offering prints in minutes while on board.

If they can keep the price per print down, prospects will be good for both the operators and the people who don't want to do their own printing.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 11:04 AM   #4
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterP
Yes, I agree the ones that can afford to get good equipment will probably do quite well. Places like Costco and wallymart seem to be able to produce really good prints from digital on the spot. Only limiting factor is the output size, mostly seems to be max of 8*11 or so though one around here can output 11*14...
Our Costco actually do 12x18 for only $2.99 (same price as 11x14) !!! http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ghlight=costco
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 11:08 AM   #5

Ugh, thats too good.
:lol: Can you scan your costco and send me the replicator pattern buffer :lol:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
Our Costco do 12x18 for only $2.99 !!!
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote