Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 22, 2013, 3:47 PM   #1

Default which rokkor to keep

I recently bought a grab bag with MC 35mm HH 1.8 and MC 100mm 2.5, both turned out to have oily blades. The 100mm aperture opens and closes using the aperture ring, but the 35mm would only close. Price was about $80 for both. Repair would be expensive, the only reason I am thinking of keeping is because of the 35mm, as 28mm seems too wide.
Also, bought another bag with MD 85mm 1.7, was advertised in great condition but on receipt seems to have a rainbow spot on front glass (not sure what that is, it does not seem to affect image quality) and maybe a tiny spot of fungus.
Any recommendations on which to keep/return? I also have a few 50mm Rokkor and a MD 28mm/2.8 one. All for Lumix G5 (2 crop factor). Thanks for you help, also posted on flickr
tch200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2013, 9:20 PM   #2

I use 28 and 50mm primes with a G-body and those are comfortable and useable to me.

With the big EVF's and grips, most Panasonic user's are fine with focal lengths anywhere from 28mm to 135mm.

How do you figure that 28mm is too wide when the kit lens is 14mm?

Are you using them for telephoto or for close-ups? What do you want them to do?

You have adapted them and tried them, haven't you?
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 10:29 PM   #3

The 35/1.8 should make a dandy portrait lens on your G5.
The rainbow spot on the 85 could be a smudge from a too close filter, if it is in the center, or possibly from an attempt to clean it with a silicone treated lens wipe.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 10:30 AM   #4

Thank you both for your replys. BBbuilder467, yes I have adapted and tried the lenses on, most uses are portraits and short telephoto. On the 85mm I was able to clean the spot that looked like fungus, it was on the outside of the front glass, so perhaps was just some dirt since all i had to do was wipe with a dry micro fiber cloth. Rainbow spot is still there

On another note, is oil on the apertures much of an issue for digital (since aperture is set manually anyway)?
tch200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 7:14 PM   #5

A bit of oil on the blades shouldn't be a problem for manual aperture use, unless it drags so much as to prevent opening or closing all the way to the setting, or one or more blades is out of sync with the rest.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote