Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 19, 2004, 5:40 PM   #1

Default Suggestions for photoshooting a Race...

Hi,

I'm in need of some tips regarding shooting an freestyle motorcross race (jumps ETC...). :shock:

First, for some reason (probably the LAGS :x I have with my digital and having horrible :x viewfinder that I cannot adjust the focus manually as fast as I can with my film camera..) I take much better shots with my film camera.

Ok to this race i'll take both my cameras, ussually the film SLR I have is fast enough, and adjusts itself good enough.
I only use manual focus to save time and all the other is auto.
But now it's different, I ussualy photoshoot outside on daylight time, pretty idle. Now it's going to be an indoor race.
Any tips? how to set my camera to catch the racers in the air (both for my Digi and my film, both are fully adjustable)?

Also, on my film camera I have a good external flash, should help with these type of shots.

Should I take BURST shots (to catch the whole picture sharp and clear) :?:
And about panning, I just set the camera to about 1/45 or something, depending on how close I am to the target and how fast it is moving, and just follow it? enough light will be in the picture to have a good picture?

Any other tips that might be usefull to me? I will gladly hear them.

Thanks alot!
tphss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2004, 7:56 PM   #2

Go to the 'Sports and action ' posts in this Forum we have disgussed action and low light alot there. Sounds like your digital is a point and shoot variety since you mentioned LAG so forget it ,it wont do the job. Lighting is Very, Very impotant you mentioned burst unless you have a VERY GOOD FLASH, and lots of power for the flash, your burst will outshoot the Flash meaning, You will get the first exposure and 2,3,4, exposure you won't ,mabybe after the Flash refreshs you might get 5 miss 6,7,8 and so on so try to capture your shot 1 exposure at a time. Panning It can be done but takes alot of practice. and playing with settings. Indoors is harder than outdoors because of the light. Flash won't help you here because of the long shutter speed unless you set to rear-sync mode on the Flash. Try 1/4 sec shutter and f11 Good luck
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 4:35 AM   #3

Thanks,

I think the main LAG is as a result of my sucky Compact flash card... 256MB PQI regular.

Well the camera isn't such a point&shoot, more "half professional".
You can see it in my signature, it's a Minolta DiMAGE 7i...
Old Feb 20, 2004, 5:35 AM   #4

James takes these sort of shots with his 602 lying on his back, with bikes roaring over the top, his camera(s) seems expendable with multiple lives and opportunities for dismantling and repair. You can see from the EXIF data what you have to do.

http://www.pbase.com/digsys/thumper

I'm sure the 7i is capable of the same sort of thing. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 7:53 AM   #5

Your digi will catch the action. It just takes lots of practice. It took me about 3 races before I got the timing down with my Fuji 602. Low light indooors will be more difficult. (Ditto everything Cowboy stated.)
pbnoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 8:26 AM   #6

Damn, so I assume I won't catch alot of good pictures (if any..) this race with my Digi, only with my film I will (has programmable external flash).

But panning doesn't use a flash right? so I can atleast try with my digi..

Also, this indoor race isn't HUGE, it's exactly the size of a basketball indoor field (it is, but for a week it's going to be a motorcross arena).

And I got pretty close spots... 6th row.
Old Feb 20, 2004, 8:30 PM   #7

Your Digi no way, take it with you and try it and you will see. Inside you will have only about 3000k incandesent light, Flash will be 5400k with 1 exposure vs. 8000k daylight shade, See how important the right lighting is!! This is my philosiphy Light freezes action. Photograpy is all about Light getting to the sensor without it it better not move.
Old Feb 21, 2004, 6:31 AM   #8

So basically, for this type of race photoshooting (indoors) a external flash is a MUST right?

I guess I'll be photoshooting with my film camera... damn.
Old Feb 21, 2004, 8:47 AM   #9

Yes, you will need a Good external Flash It all depends on the lights inside, they may seem bright to you, but not like outside. it is just not the same light, Take your Digi and try it , this is the best way to see what your camera is capable of doing. If you have the oportunity for some Still shots use the Digi it will work fine(with Flash) Try the stills with Flash, then without, and see for yourself the difference.
Old Feb 21, 2004, 10:04 AM   #10

OK then, I'll try on Thursday to take regular stills with flash with my Digi.. need to get me the 3600HS or the 5600HS..

After the race i'll update here how was it...