Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 11, 2013, 1:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PvrFan View Post
The camera automatically takes multiple exposures every time you use it and "chooses" the best one. How the heck does it do that? Do any apps let you control this feature?

The true tone flash sounds awesome! Again, how does it work? What if part of your picture is primarily incandescent lit and the the rest is fluorescent? Then what happens?

I heard something else similar to this. You take a bunch of pictures and then an app determines which ones to upload to either Facebook or Instagram or something like that? Sounded different to me.

The 2nd one "True Tone Flash", I caught that one with yesterday's release of the new iPhone. Its changing the colour of the flash to balance with ambient lighting. Sorta like putting a colour filter on your flash (like the Nikon SB700 with its included coded filter), but its automatic? Now that is cool! Only a matter of time before that idea works its way to P&S and ILC cameras. For that matter, give manual control over the colour to make it something like the Colorsplash of the Lomography cameras?
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 5:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
I doubt too many are getting into the types of in-depth conversations about the technology you're talking about. i could be very wrong, but that is my opinion
Hey John, the way this conversation is going there may be an argument to your opinion.

Honestly, I'm not ready to rely on my cell phone for anything other then my work where the photos are mostly for reference, serial numbers and such.
I did have an instance where my cell phone was the only camera I had that would get the image iI needed. I needed to get the serial numbers off the AC pump in my truck. Not even my NEX could be positioned to get the shot in such a tight area.

As for the technology in phones, one of my kids has a fisheye lens attachment for his phone and he gets some pretty cool shots. And the technology mentioned above sounds like there's quite a bit to discuss.

I think you maybe surprised if the forum were start a new "phone cameras" section.

You could be the first camera forum to have a section dedicated to phones with cameras.

Give it a test period and see how it goes.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 5:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomitamike View Post
I think you maybe surprised if the forum were start a new "phone cameras" section.

You could be the first camera forum to have a section dedicated to phones with cameras.

Give it a test period and see how it goes.

IMHO that sounds like a great idea!

Happy Shooting!
Old Sep 11, 2013, 6:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomitamike View Post

What the heck? Steves still has a Kyocera / Yashica that hasn't been touched in over a year, an H-P forum that hasn't been touched in over two years, and a Kodak Pro dSLR forum that hasn't been touched in over three years. What could a Smartphone / Tablet Camera forum hurt? I can't imagine that they'd have anything to say except that "mine" is better than "yours", but I could be wrong.

Do people really pick one smartphone or tablet over another because it comes with a better camera? Isn't that like picking one breakfast cereal over another because it has better prizes?

Last edited by TCav; Sep 11, 2013 at 7:04 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 8:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Do people really pick one smartphone or tablet over another because it comes with a better camera? Isn't that like picking one breakfast cereal over another because it has better prizes?
Well, if the prize happened to be a Porsche I could actually drive............

The market is heating up, though. MS and Nokia are putting on the pressure, and others are responding, so I imagine there will be some pretty capable cameras with phones attached pretty soon.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 9:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
MS and Nokia are putting on the pressure ...
Get serious.

Windows Mobile 7 might be a great smartphone OS, but Android and iOS are too firmly entrenched, and with the colossal blunder that is Windows 8, the paradigm won't ever get off the ground, and no camera is going to change that.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:49 PM   #17

The thing I find cool about cellphone photography is that regardless of whether it is Apple or Samsung or Nokia for that matter . . . all the cellphones introduce some sort of limitation. It gets me thinking of that expression . . . its not the camera . . . its the photographer.

If someone can get an interesting / impactful / etc . . . picture with a cellphone . . . then kudos to them! Its not because of the camera, which may be a limiting factor, but because of something that they bring to photography.

The way I think of it . . . if they can't choose their lens or f-stop, etc. . . what is it that they are bringing to the table?

Sure . . . there are those that will argue based on specs and megapixels and brand, but what's wrong with that. IMHO that's cool too!

And then I'm sure there's a lot of people that are shooting more pictures because they all of a sudden happen to have a camera with them when they want to take a picture. And I'm sure there will be a portion of that group that literally point-and-shoot, because they don't have the time or aren't aware of things like rules of composition. If they happen to come across a website / forum like Steve's with all the knowledgeable people here . . . would that be a bad thing?
Old Sep 12, 2013, 6:31 AM   #18

First - let me say, I have no input into forum setup - so I cannot influence a decision on whether to create a new forum or not.

Now, Glen - i think you're correct. But, I'm a HUGE proponent of: it's the picture that matters and a picture should be discussed based upon it's own merits, not the brand of equipment that produced it. That's why I like the genre-specific photography forums here and elsewhere. Helps you get away from every shot being a "great shot" just because it was taken with a Brand X camera.

For those of you that want this type of forum I suggest posting in the "general" forum - create some topics and see how many people are interested in contributing. Steve's has a pretty small amount of activity, people see new posts regardless of the sub-forum they are in. I'm sure if there's enough sustained interest after a few months then a new sub-forum could easily be created.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 11:39 AM   #19
Administrator

I'm not opposed to the idea of a forum specific to mobile device photography (i.e., Smart Phones, Tablets, etc.).

The question becomes if we'd see enough traffic to warrant it.

Each additional forum on the main page also increases the page load time. So, performance and bandwidth considerations come into the equation, too. I've removed forums in the past for that very reason (no posts to them, so why keep them on the main page).

Also, what tends to happen with sites that have too many forums is that members get confused about the forum they should use to post in; and when you have a lot of forums with very little traffic, regular members may not notice the posts in them. So, you end up seeing dupe posts (where someone doesn't see a response in the "xyz" camera forum, so they post in another forum with more visibility instead).

Again, I'm not opposed to it, as it wouldn't be much trouble to add. It's just a matter of if it would get enough traffic to warrant the potential downsides to yet another forum. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see how more members feel about it.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 1:17 PM   #20
Administrator

We'll give it a try and see how it works. Refresh the main page at http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ to see the just added changes.

If you scroll down past the dSLR section, you'll see a new Mobile section, with separate forums for General Discussion; and OS specific forums for Android, Ubuntu Mobile, Windows Mobile and devices using Other Mobile Operating Systems.

I could always merge the separate forums back into a single mobile forum later if traffic doesn't warranty that type of setup. But, having them separated by OS would allow more flexibility in that area (it's much more practical to merge multiple forums back into one forum later, as compared to trying to separate existing posts into separate forums later).

So, feel free to post in them now.

To PvrFan

Thanks for the suggestion. Mobile Devices are becoming more and more popular for photography anymore (as well as for other needs like e-mail, web browsing, social media, etc.). So, perhaps it is time we added some forums specific to those devices.

We'll have to wait and see if the traffic warrants them or not. It's the old "chicken and egg" argument (which came first). IOW, we may need to have forums specific to those devices before we see any interest. Only time will tell.

JimC
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote