Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 10, 2013, 2:18 PM   #1

Default Smartphone Photography

Where is the forum for/about taking photos with smartphones?

Craig
PvrFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2013, 3:43 PM   #2

There isn't much to talk about.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 4:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
There isn't much to talk about.

Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 6:15 PM   #4

Point, click, view. That should about cover it.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:01 AM   #5

I think thats a legitimate question.
Phone cameras or just iPhones alone take more photographs each day then all other cameras combined.
In regards to this forum, we are real photographers who use real cameras and won't hear of phone cameras as being legitimate.
Now, just to complicate things even more Sony has come out with these.

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...S_DSCQX_series

So what category do these fall into?
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:21 AM   #6

Mike - no doubt about it - cell phones take more pictures than any other type of camera. The question is: are users who primarily use cell phones really going to come into a discussion forum to discuss the photographic equipment or technique? I like the idea of reviews of such equipment. But how much discussion is there going to be in a forum?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:01 PM   #7

Certainly, the users of smartphone cameras might appreciate discussions on subject matter and composition, but the purpose of the equipment specific forums, here and elsewhere, don't have the typical discussion topics that smartphone users would appreciate. I have no doubt that contributions from smartphones to, for instance, the Wildlife or Travel forums would be welcomed (if they haven't been already.) But I can only imagine that equipment specific smartphone discussions would quickly deteriorate into brand debates.

... because there's nothing else to talk about.

Last edited by TCav; Sep 11, 2013 at 12:04 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Certainly, the users of smartphone cameras might appreciate discussions on subject matter and composition, but . . .
I agree. And if it is about subject matter and composition, then the forums already exist here at Steve's for different subject matter, regardless of whether it is a dSLR, m4/3, P&S or Cell Phone that you are using.

And the cell phones are getting more powerful, so they are pretty much replacing the P&S cameras. Maybe the discussions just go on in the P&S forums? Just add Apple to the Digital Camera section?

As for Sony's new add on lens (camera), that's a P&S camera without a screen, so I suspect that falls right under the Digital Camera forums here at Steve's anyway . . . just that you are forced to remote view if you want to see what you are taking a picture of . . .

Quote:
... because there's nothing else to talk about.
The other thing to talk about is the Apps . . . different apps to take pictures and different apps to process the pictures. That's something different than what we have seen in the past with digital cameras. That's something new.

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:49 PM   #9

My question was spurred by yesterday's iPhone 5s announcement. It includes an updated iSight camera with:
Larger sensor, larger pixels, larger apeture
Continuous burst mode
True tone flash
Image stabilization
Slow motion video
etc, etc

Look halfway down the page at:
http://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/features/

The camera automatically takes multiple exposures every time you use it and "chooses" the best one. How the heck does it do that? Do any apps let you control this feature?

The true tone flash sounds awesome! Again, how does it work? What if part of your picture is primarily incandescent lit and the the rest is fluorescent? Then what happens?

Then apps on the phone can edit, process and share the capture instantly. What are some of the best and how can we take advantage of them?

Cell phones can take some awesome pictures. Like any other camera, there are strengths and limitations--to take advantage of or work around!

Craig

Last edited by PvrFan; Sep 11, 2013 at 12:50 PM. Reason: meant to include link
PvrFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 2:00 PM   #10

Craig - yes, cell phones can take some very nice photos. I just don't think there's a huge audience of people that want to discuss the photographic technology involved in them. You're also not likely to get a whole lot of "how does it work" answers from the manufacturers. A better question is - how WELL does it work. Again, though, most people using cell phones for photography are interested in convenience. I doubt too many are getting into the types of in-depth conversations about the technology you're talking about. i could be very wrong, but that is my opinion
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote