Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 20, 2013, 11:12 PM   #1

Default Minimum ancillary photo gear for travel?

I've been dropping items off my travel packing list. I'm reluctant to bring less photo gear so I'm curious what ancillary equipment other photographers carry who are trying to travel light.

This is my minimum list for the care and feeding of my photo habit and photo gear. I left off brands and models because this is a packing list, not a shopping or wish list.

Bring every time:
camera
lens(es) & lens cap(s)
case(s) for above
batteries
charger & power cord
USB cable
lens cleaning cloth
extra memory card(s)
empty filter case for filter of lens on body
empty case for memory card in body.
camera manual pdf(s)

Bring sometimes
body cap and rear lens cap for lens on body if more than 1 lens
external hard drive and cable (For 2nd backup. Netbook is 1st backup)
tripod
ItDontMeanAThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2013, 6:51 AM   #2

My small waterproof point-and-shoot. I keep it in my pocket where sometimes its the easiest camera to get to.

That and lots of batteries!
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 10:20 AM   #3

What I take along depends on several factors, such as how long, where, how I travel, etc.
For extended trips by car, I would take more than if I were traveling by air, or just out for the weekend. For day trips on the motorcycle, it is just the camera, with a fresh charge on the battery.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2013, 11:33 AM   #4

We always over pack with camera gear and still seem to forget something at home.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 11:05 AM   #5

my usual is camera 3 lenses, flash and diffuser, various chargers and an ipad plus tripod. travels the world with me
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2013, 2:33 PM   #6

I recently flew somewhere on a trip, one that had a plane-change. I didn't bother with the USB cable for the camera - I have a micro card reader that I got a number of years ago with a SanDisk SDHC card and it still works great. I also didn't bother with a spare memory card case - figured I'd always have a card in the camera and would just use the case that the extra card was in when I changed cards. I also skipped the tripod as the purpose of the trip was visiting family more than taking pictures. I would have taken a gorillapod if I had thought of it - the camera I took is small and light enough to work well with one. I didn't miss it on this trip, might have missed it on a different type of trip.

I did take a portable external hard drive as my netbook sized computer only has a small amount of flash memory. It all worked out very well.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2013, 6:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calicajun View Post
We always over pack with camera gear and still seem to forget something at home.
LOL. Now . . . isn't that always the case. <grin>

Take care & Happy Shooting!
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2013, 9:45 AM   #8

Well I need to have a reason for that one shot that got a away.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 12:54 PM   #9

of the items you isted I do not take these when I travel by plane

empty filter case for filter of lens on body

empty case for memory card in body. -- I keep the extra memory cards in the same case as the used ones. Used are turned upside down and the ready to go are label side up. I use a pixel pocket rocket case not indivual plastic cases.

camera manual pdf(s) -- keep these on my laptop all the time do not cary any extra USB humb drives etc

body cap and rear lens cap for lens on body if more than 1 lens - I use lens caps from the 2nd lens I carry (the one in the bag) - switch as needed with the 1st lens the one on the body

external hard drive and cable (For 2nd backup. Netbook is 1st backup) -- I do this but a year a go made a point to get a 6' USB cable to avoid having the long 3' cable in my camera getting in way and taking up space.

Last edited by Photo 5; Sep 25, 2013 at 12:56 PM.
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2013, 5:32 PM   #10

Thanks to the multiple posters who mentioned multi card holders. I didn't know they existed. Now if I ever shoot enough big files to need more than 1 extra card ...

D'oh! the card reader on my laptop is busted, but the card reader on my netbook works. Mtngal, thangs for reminder my computer has a card reader.

Photo 5: Thanks for mentioning the way you can tell at a glance which cards are full and empty.

Calicajun - I make and refine lists so I don't forget stuff. Learned that from a sailor for who, if he forgot something, it could be weeks before he put into port and could get another one.
ItDontMeanAThing is offline   Reply With Quote