Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 3, 2013, 1:42 PM   #1

Default Help - Sensor Cleaning

Hi Everyone

I have a horrid feeling that I have dust spots and tiny fibres or hairs on my sensor. I have attached a couple of shots taken 2 days ago which clearly show the problem.

The spots arrived a few months ago, but do not show up in most of my shots - just blue sky shots - and cropping worked, but now the pesky fibre or hair has shown up and rained on my parade!!!............. and more spots

I have also cleaned both my lenses and taken shots with both to make sure that the problem was not with the lenses. The spots are there regardless of which lens is used.

Does anyone have any good tips, advice, video links, products etc that will help me with the sensor cleaning??

This problem could not have come at a worse time as I am off to New Zealand in 4 weeks time, and the camera shop have said they would need to send the camera off to get a quote, find the problem etc etc ......... which will take 3 weeks (hmmmm) and cost a fortune.

So all help and advice from Steve's will be greatly appreciated.

Look forward to hearing from you - Diane
Attached Images

Last edited by DyaneG; Oct 3, 2013 at 1:44 PM. Reason: typo error
DyaneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2013, 2:03 PM   #2

Here are two links with some information that may be of help. As a disclaimer, I have never cleaned the sensor on my camera using any liquids or brushes (a Gittos Rocket Blower seems to clean up any dust, etc. that does accumulate) so I can't vouch for any of the products or methods recommended in these links.

Regards

http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/index.html

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2010...-camera-sensor
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 6:38 PM   #3

Looks very much like standard issue dust etc on your sensor...
I use a blower brush like the one displayed on this ebay listing (this listing has
nothing to do with myself,nor do I endorse the seller of this item...).
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KOOD-PRO-B...-/200821368577

I remove the brush and just squeeze the blower near the sensor- which has always removed any dust or such like on my cameras....
I haven't however used the brush, as I don't fancy actually touching the sensor...!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 8:09 PM   #4

I have a great deal of faith in anything that the people at LensRentals.com have to say, so I'm inclined to support the info in the link bluenose posted. They probably deal with more abuse to their gear than any other single entity.

But I would hesitate to refer to a wet cleaning and "a pain in the ass". It's really not that tough, but any measures you use to keep everything dry is a good idea.

http://www.moosepeterson.com/blog/20...th-copperhill/
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 8:53 PM   #5

G'day Dyane

I have a Copperhill cleaning kit and have now used it about 50 times - in the early days on the Pentax and my Panny G2, but in recent times on other cameras that I come across where a good clean is obviously needed

Yes - it's scary the 1st time ... even the 2nd time, but it is easy and very successful if you follow the notes provided with the kit

I suggest you get Copperhill to airfreight a kit to you and then it will take you about 1/2 hour to practice and make it perfect. - really truly !!

The secret to 'washing' the sensor is -not- to use too much liquid on the wiper, as it leaves little drops behind in the corners of the sensor. After each clean, reconnect a lens, set to f16, f22 and take a photo of clear sky or a clear wall if inside the house - then look for the little grey spots

It will take 3 or 4 swipes to get it all clean - and you will be very surprised at how easy it all has been

Over to you ...
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2013, 10:50 AM   #6

Hi Everyone - thanks for the advice and site links which are really helpful (cheers Bluenose).

I am swatting up and have ordered the necessary for the job from Amazon.

Will be taking things very carefully and will let you know how I get on.

Thanks once again - Dyane
Old Oct 6, 2013, 11:13 AM   #7

Good luck.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote