Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 20, 2004, 5:34 PM   #1

Default can you help me? shooting a wedding

i am shooting my first wedding tomorow, and if any one has any tips that might help, they would be greatly apretiated even the most minor stuff like remembering to take your lens cap off would help

thanks,
brad
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2004, 7:15 PM   #2

Well Brad. I am not a wedding photographer but I have done some, My best advice is relaxe, shot off a Tripod, and get the light right, and chimp alot, YOU are in control so don't let them rush you, Use your flash all the time, Have plenty of power, and shoot a alot of each pose, this is not a race, slow down, and do your stuff. good Luck my friend.
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 7:20 PM   #3

thanks,
i am going to rent so strobes for this
do i need a pocket wizard if not, how do i triger them?

thanks again for all your help!!! it is greatly appreciated,
brad
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 7:45 PM   #4

Brad Whoa!!!! on the Strobes, Make sure you can trigger them by SLAVE mode and the SLAVE is on TOP!!!! of the light not the back of the light.This way you can trigger them from on Camera Flash , also have them plugged into AC power and use the Model light on them to avoid hot spots, the battery will usually not will power the Model light.
Old Feb 20, 2004, 7:57 PM   #5

Whoa again, with all the $5 box cameras likely in the chapel doing an IR remote sync with your strobes may turn into a disco effect and at key times you might miss a shot. The pocket wizard (rental) or direct wiring is not a bad idea.
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 8:05 PM   #6

Castledude is right I forgot to mention with the slave mode you had better be the only photog there!!
Old Feb 20, 2004, 10:13 PM   #7

You have to make sure that it is ok to use the flashes at those key moments.

Sure, you can use it outdoors for those poses, but inside while the cermony is going on? I will be surprised if that is ok.

I have written about doing wedding here so often it is getting kinda silly.

did you read this thread:
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...hlight=wedding
And the things I linked to?

I don't want to repeat myself if you have.

You have already potentially blown one important thing. Did you go to the practice & dinner and get pointed out who is important? You have to make sure you get candid pictures that include all the important people on both sides of the couple. The only way to really do this is to have them pointed out to you by someone who knows.

Do you know how to get there? Do you know how long it will take to get there? Have you pre-driven the route you'll take to make sure you know it? Did you make sure you have a full tank of gas?

Do you have backup equipment? Are you sure it works? Did you charge all your batteries, including the backups?

Did you bring a grey card? Metering off the black tux or white dress will not work very well.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 11:02 PM   #8

From being on the other side looking out Iíll add my little bit. Make sure you are completely ready to take the shot before asking anyone to pose, including pre-framing the shot if you arenít extremely quick with a manual zoom. Watch a pro at work and they bring the camera to their eye Ė ready? FLASH. You get much better pictures of people if they donít have to hold a smile until it turns fake. A spontaneous smile is easy for a second or two Ė then you have to fake it. Pros usually get much better expressions than amateurs because they understand that.

Practice a lot with your equipment if you are renting stuff. Do full portrait workup of your family in various situations similar to the wedding. Do some of the dog. Check the pictures and do it again. A wedding is a bad place for OJT.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote