Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 21, 2004, 1:19 AM   #1

Default Fast shot-2-shot times

I'm looking for a point and shoot camera with fast shot-2-shot time. Hopefully less than 1 sec. My dream camera, if any one knows of one, would be a pocket sized camera, 2 MP [or greater], 2-3x optical zoom, good flash controls [red-eye, manual, auto, on/off], optical view finder and the ability to be fast using the flash [even in burst mode/only in burst mode]. Does any one have recommendations.

Most important [beside picture quality] is speed and size. Thanks.
bvcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2004, 6:09 AM   #2

The Casio EX-Z4 comes to mind, read a review of it, there are lots.
Robotnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2004, 6:18 AM   #3

Whoops I take it back, that Casio isn't as fast as you want, shot-to-shot.
Robotnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2004, 6:46 AM   #4

Take a closer look at the Fuji F601 or the new model F610

Atleast the F601 has with all small pocket cameras, not so great optics, but overalll quality is pretty decent, 3 mB, good colors, and most important it is quite trigger happy.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2004, 9:45 AM   #5

Default Re: Fast shot-2-shot times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvcurtis
... the ability to be fast using the flash [even in burst mode/only in burst mode]. ...
Compact and fast flash are contradictory characteristics. If a camera is small, it cannot have a large battery. Without a powerfull battery, the flash cannot rapidly recharge.

IMHO, the built-in flash in all cameras (digital and chemical) are junk. Some are better than others, but since it is built into the camera the flash must be close to the lens (red-eye), small (glare), low power and slow recharge (uses the same batteries as the camera). All of those characteristics are likely to get worse as the camera gets smaller. Better than nothing, but not by much.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2004, 2:09 PM   #6
Administrator

As Bill Drew already mentioned, flash recycle times are not going to be very fast in a pocketable size camera.

The range to subject will also impact recharge times. My latest camera is the Konica Revio KD-510z (Minolta DiMAGE G500).

At close ranges (3 to 4 feet), with continuous mode turned on, and "quick view" turned off, I can get approximately 1 flash photo every 2.1 seconds. This is because the camera is "throttling down" the flash strength at closer ranges, so recharge times are faster.

However, if I take a photo of someone across the room, then recharge time may increase to as much as 5 seconds (because the flash power was much stronger, requiring a longer recharge time).

Also, (again, as Bill Drew already mentioned), you will have redeye in a subcompact camera. I'd guess that I have to correct redeye in approximately 90 percent of my flash photos using software. This is because the flash is located so close to the lens.

I don't even bother to shoot in redeye reduction mode. This is because it may reduce (but does not eliminate) redeye. Also, I think that a "preflash" can spoil the shots (because facial expressions change when they see the redeye reduction preflash).

If you want to see some photos from my camera (Konica KD-510z/Minolta G500), along with links to my user review; go to this link:

http://www.pbase.com/jcockfield/konica_kd510z

This is a 5 Megapixel Pocketable camera, and can be found for a bit over $300.00

In continuous mode, with flash turned off, it will take approximately 1 photo every 1.27 seconds until the memory card(s) are full. BTW, you can leave it set in continuous mode all the time.

If you want to try one out in a store, make sure to turn on continuous mode (under Setup, Custom); and make sure to turn off "Quick View" (Setup, Quick View). This setup will give the fastest cycle times when holding the shutter button down for continuous shots.

Basically, setting "Continuous" on tells the camera not to remeter and refocus between shots when holding the shutter button down; and turning "quic view" off tells the camera not to display the last photo taken for as long.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote