Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 9, 2013, 2:06 PM   #31

http://www.amazon.com/Weaver-Leather...rds=buggy+whip
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2013, 2:08 PM   #32

What is ironic is that my state, Ohio, has a large population of Amish who do, in fact, still use horse and buggy. Of course, none of them are buying replacement whips on Amazon - kind of ironic, don't you think?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2013, 2:11 PM   #33

We have a significant Amish population here in Maryland too. What I've noticed is that the Amish don't own telephones or power tools or computers, but that doesn't stop them from using other peoples'.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 2:57 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
Don't worry about it, is my advice. After all, you can still buy new replacement buggy whips if you don't want to deal with those newfangled automobile things.

brian
Yeah. I guess I'm just getting a bit anti tech now a days. Oh, well! <grin>

But I figure, if I have to give up auto focus speed and pay money doing it, it doesn't really make sense for me to do that right now. Especially since I started to want to try to do more with my dSLR.

NOTE: I'm trying to capture the picture in my head! Not the one my camera sees!

Personal Flickr Favs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tacticd...7631300869284/
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2013, 6:00 PM   #35

Default The Sky IS NOT Falling.

All it takes is to look at the data for prior years, and one will discover that, while shipments for fixed lens cameras is certainly down, shipments for interchangeable lens cameras is higher than for any prior year (for which CIPA has data) with the single exception of the year 2012.
Attached Images

Last edited by TCav; Dec 9, 2013 at 6:05 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 4:01 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticdesigns View Post
But from the chart above, it looks like DSLRs is holding pretty steady. What percentage is DSLRS vs. all cameras sold for 2012 vs 2013? Is the percentage going up?
Yes. While digital camera shipments as a whole are hurting, shipments of interchangeable lens cameras is going up.

(Let me be clear. The CIPA only distinguished between cameras with a built-in lens and cameras with interchangeable lenses, which, until recently, meant dSLRs. Beginning in January of 2012, CIPA further distinguished between Reflex cameras with interchangeable lenses and Non-reflex cameras with interchangeable lenses. Since there's less that two full years of data on this new distinction, I've been responding to questions about dSLR shipments from P&S shipments by using CIPA's categorizations. It seems to me that the authors of the articles linked to in the OP, and the authors of the articles those articles are based on, focused only on those two years, and therefore, are of little value, sensationalistic and irresponsible. Instead of discussing the fall of P&S sales due to the widespread adoption of smartphones, they went for the shocking headline by predicting the downfall of the dSLR, which is blatantly false.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticdesigns View Post
Of course, this kinda gets us right back to the idea that cellphones are eating up the point-and-shoot market, which we already know. ?
Absolutely.

Last edited by TCav; Dec 10, 2013 at 4:03 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:00 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Yes. While digital camera shipments as a whole are hurting, shipments of interchangeable lens cameras is going up.

(Let me be clear. The CIPA only distinguished between cameras with a built-in lens and cameras with interchangeable lenses, which, until recently, meant dSLRs. Beginning in January of 2012, CIPA further distinguished between Reflex cameras with interchangeable lenses and Non-reflex cameras with interchangeable lenses. Since there's less that two full years of data on this new distinction, I've been responding to questions about dSLR shipments from P&S shipments by using CIPA's categorizations. It seems to me that the authors of the articles linked to in the OP, and the authors of the articles those articles are based on, focused only on those two years, and therefore, are of little value, sensationalistic and irresponsible. Instead of discussing the fall of P&S sales due to the widespread adoption of smartphones, they went for the shocking headline by predicting the downfall of the dSLR, which is blatantly false.)

Absolutely.
+1

I think I'm going to go take some pictures with my dSLR. <grin>

NOTE: I'm trying to capture the picture in my head! Not the one my camera sees!

Personal Flickr Favs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tacticd...7631300869284/
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2013, 12:48 PM   #38

Just my thoughts put in to few words.

First, for now the A7/R is where things are headed for the short term.
Later, further down the road there will not be any still cameras for photo enthusiast like us. The video clips captured with the cameras of the future will be so good along with new future smart software that all stills will be taken from the clips. Just imagine your camera being able to capture adjustable frame rates such as 5, 10, 60 or 120 FPS.
Then you will have so much to choose from you'll almost always get the shot.
The manufacture wars will come down to FPS speed with quality rendition. And battery life will also have to be brought up to future demand.
Your existing home PC will become obsolete in an instant once this new technology starts. What's beyond the terabyte?
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:35 PM   #39

I see about %95 of people either using their phones or P&S on trips. Very few shlep around those huge clunkers costing $3500 just to snap away in Vegas. If you print 4x6 P&S is good enough; but no one prints so who needs DSLRs?Only for weddings, pro, studio work.I could get a bridge for $350 with a big zoom, all I need.
romphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2014, 11:24 AM   #40

Nothing is ever up, up and up as there will always be fluctuation. I'd be concerned if the dropping was year over year. However, I don't see the manufacturers abandoning DSLR's anytime soon. 15 yrs from now....who knows.

When you compare a picture taken with a DSLR vs a Point and Shoot, most people (from my experience) prefer the DSLR. I wouldn't go back to a fixed lens if you paid me too. I think the micro 4/3 are a bigger threat to taking a chunk out of the DSLR's sales as they become more sophisticated with their lenses. I do foresee those sales increasing as they are more affordable than the higher end Nikon/Canon lenses (while the quality isn't quite yet there for certain type of shots, give it a few years and I think that could change).

Canon 5D III
50mm 1.2 L l 24-70 F2.8 L l 70-200 F4 L l 40mm 2.8 l 100mmL 2.8 macro

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Alainn...39490172728282
http://alainnbellephotography.smugmug.com/
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote