Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 4, 2013, 10:32 AM   #1

Default Are CCD equipped cameras sill offered ???

Does any camera company today still offer digital cameras that are equipped with CCD sensors ? I'm talking about new 2013 models, both P&S and DSLR's. If so, who are they, which models ? Thanks.
surplusshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2013, 2:05 PM   #2

Panasonics pocket FS50 has a CCD... as does their FS5...
Why do you ask...?
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:44 AM   #3

I was just curious. I have always felt that the CCD sensor was slightly better for overall image quality as compared to the CMOS sensor at the expense of being power hungry. I see that even today the CCD is still the number one choice in super expensive high-end medical and scientific applications.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 11:44 AM   #4

A tricky thing to assess really- as a camera's output is a combination of sensor/processor/lens...
Interesting that high end scientific equipment seem to utilize the CCD however...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2013, 9:10 AM   #5

Simon40 is absolutely correct, the overall image quality of any digital camera can not be judged merely by which type of sensor it has. It truly is the combination of the sensor, the processor, lens quality, sensor size, number of megapixels and how well they all work together. However, it is common knowledge that in the early days when camera companies first started replacing the CCD with the CMOS sensor, they had a hard time getting the same image quality as the old CCD produced. Today, however, due to the never ending evolving technology, the CMOS sensors seems to be on par with the CCD sensors of yesterday. We all know why the camera companies went from the CCD sensor to the CMOS, it was the cost factor. The CMOS sensor is cheaper to manufacture but does this make it better ? I can't help but wonder how much better the CCD sensor would be today if the camera companies would have put the same amount of research and money into the CCD as they did the CMOS. Generally speaking, I still think that CCD sensors have a slight edge over CMOS sensors in overall still image quality in certain conditions, they seem to work more effectively in low light conditions with less noise at low ISO settings.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 9:31 AM   #6

CCD sensors consume more power than CMOS, which is another major reason CMOS is used more now. Maybe on a level with cost.
The higher power consumption of the CCD generates more heat, and corresponding thermal noise, so in consumer devices, CMOS tends to do better in sensitivity. The high end scientific and medical devices often have sensor coolers to control CCD noise. Astronomical cameras, which use long exposures, will cool the sensors to nearly cryogenic temperatures, which is not feasible in consumer cameras.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2013, 10:04 AM   #7

I think the Pentax 645D has a CCD sensor in it . . .

http://www.steves-digicams.com/news/...best_dslr.html

As well as the Hasselblad H5D-60

http://www.adorama.com/HSH5D60K.html

Actually . . . in other forum sites . . . while I was reading posts about the new Nikon Df . . . I noticed that there are people going back and picking up old Nikon D200 cameras for their CCD sensors . . . Its cheap . . . at lower iso its fine . . . its a cheap(ish) way to go have some fun!

I still drag out my old Pentax K100d with its CCD sensor every now and then and perfectly happy with it . . .

Take care & Happy Shooting!

NOTE: I'm trying to capture the picture in my head! Not the one my camera sees!

Personal Flickr Favs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tacticd...7631300869284/
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote