Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/general-discussion-11/)
-   -   Should I be worried about sea air? (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/general-discussion/20900-should-i-worried-about-sea-air.html)

CheckSix Feb 21, 2004 8:59 PM

Should I be worried about sea air?

I just took a ferry trip today, and well, as boats are known for, they're on water. Anyway, I read places that you should be careful about being around water because the air might be salty. Should I be worried about the salty sea air getting into my camera? What should I do to clean it if I do need to :? ? Thanks!

ohenry Feb 21, 2004 9:13 PM

Kind of late now, but next time keep the camera in a plastic bag. If the air was misty with salt water, I would advise putting it in a dry place with some silicone packages to absorb any moisture. And hope that none of your contacts were exposed to salt. You might wipe it down with a dry lint-free cloth too. If the air was still and the waves weren't splashing over the deck, you probably don't have too much to worry about.

bradg Feb 21, 2004 9:19 PM

stupid question: why were you on a ferry in the middle of the ocean?
if im not mistaken, ferrys ride on rivers, and i dont know of any salt rivers

note: i am wrong alot, so if i am wrong about this, please dont call me stupid :wink:

Onyx Feb 21, 2004 9:19 PM

Don't worry about it too much. Unless you're exposed to that kind of environment on a daily basis. These days so much of cameras are plastic, salt ain't gunna do much to them.

ohenry Feb 21, 2004 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onyx
Don't worry about it too much. Unless you're exposed to that kind of environment on a daily basis. These days so much of cameras are plastic, salt ain't gunna do much to them.

While the bodies may be plastic, the contacts are not.

Brad, many ferries are on salty, or brackish waters, intercoastal waterways, and many rivers empty into the ocean and can have quite a high salinity value.

Bob_Wildman Feb 21, 2004 10:25 PM

We live on an island in Puget Sound (salt water) and ride ferries frequently. No problems over the past five years with digital cameras. As long as you treat your camera with reasonable care, it should be no problem.

CheckSix Feb 21, 2004 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_Wildman
We live on an island in Puget Sound (salt water) and ride ferries frequently. No problems over the past five years with digital cameras. As long as you treat your camera with reasonable care, it should be no problem.

Yup. That was it. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradg
stupid question: why were you on a ferry in the middle of the ocean?
if im not mistaken, ferrys ride on rivers, and i dont know of any salt rivers

Well some ferries are on water but here in Washington State, they run between Seattle and other places. :D

Thanks everyone.

slipe Feb 22, 2004 12:40 PM

I live directly on salt water and take my cameras out in my boat often. I keep the camera in its bag unless I am using it when on the boat. I do take pictures moving at high speeds but not when wave action could cause spray – the boat is usually dry. I think if you stayed on the front of the ferry or similar boat you wouldn’t be subjected to spray unless the seas were particularly rough.

Mist doesn’t have salt in it, just spray. If “sea air” had salt I would probably have lost a lot of equipment by now.

bradg Feb 22, 2004 3:24 PM

i knew i would be wrong 8)
thaks for clearing that up

CheckSix Feb 22, 2004 6:04 PM

Brad, you can see some ferry pictures on my site if you are ever so inclined to do so. :lol:

www.rsphoto.fotopic.net