Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 19, 2013, 1:03 AM   #1

Default After market stand alone GPS tagger for Canon 60D

I feel like I've been beating my head against a brick wall trying to find a GPS logger that's not a hot shoe model i.e. battery hog. The aftermarket model Canon came out with does nothing more that logging with my model. For between $250 and $300 it should be able to merge the coordinates into the exif data. The 60D is not bluetooth capable.
I'm a retired / disabled Army medic, I'm not made of money but I will pay to get good quality reliable product for this purpose. Coordinates aren't an area to be skimped on. I do a lot of outdoor photography and when driving I tend to end up in out of the way places and do many roadside stops for photographs. I'm somewhere above amateur, closer to enthusiast. I also do volunteer photography for Find A Grave. I've been waiting to start a volunteer project for the City of mapping and photographing the local historic cemetery until I get a GPS. There are 2,000 graves and no records.
I'm not a techie geek type so something that would merge the info into the exif as seamlessly as possible would be nice. I have LR 3.2 and Elements but haven't used either (I'd rather be outside). I understand LR works well with some GPS models.
I don't have an iphone and the gps app I have on my HTC One uses about 10% of the phones battery power in 10 minutes or less (repositioning every 5 min). The process of turning on then disabling the app takes about 5 minutes. Not to mention it's a pia to take a photo of the coordinates on the phone and add them to the photos exif by hand.

Hoping someone has some useful information. I'd really appreciate it.

Michelle
medic04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2013, 6:22 AM   #2

If the date and time in your camera is accurate (The date and time of GPS devices is always accurate.), any GPS device (Garmin, Magellan, etc.) that keeps track logs can provide the data you need to geotag your photos. You can do it by hand, but there are lots of free programs that can do it for you (Microsoft Pro Photo Tools version 2, for instance) by matching up the date and time in the photo's EXIF data with data in the GPS track logs. (Of course, you need to have had the GPS device with you when you took the shot.) And even if the clock in the camera was off a little, most applications can time shift to make the pairing.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2013, 7:02 AM   #3

You might want to check into Eye-Fi. Some of the older cards have GPS built into them and tag for you automatically. Only SOME of the newer ones have GPS and right off hand, I can't tell you which ones. There are some Eye-Fi knock-offs out there, too. I don't know if they have GPS built-in or not, but it'd be worth a look-see.

Here's the deal on Eye-Fi's GPS. They use WPS not GPS. https://x2help.eyefi.com/hc/en-us/articles/200112756
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3

Last edited by gjtoth; Dec 19, 2013 at 7:22 AM.
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2013, 8:38 AM   #4

The advantage of a separate GPS device is that you can use it for things other than geotagging your photos.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 9:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
You might want to check into Eye-Fi. Some of the older cards have GPS built into them and tag for you automatically. Only SOME of the newer ones have GPS and right off hand, I can't tell you which ones. There are some Eye-Fi knock-offs out there, too. I don't know if they have GPS built-in or not, but it'd be worth a look-see.

Here's the deal on Eye-Fi's GPS. They use WPS not GPS. https://x2help.eyefi.com/hc/en-us/articles/200112756
Thanks on this. As of Sep they stopped the geocaching on all of their cards. I don't know how that would affect them if at all. It's no longer an option. I know the wps and geocaching are different so I'll look into the wps for use in populated areas. There are a lot of places I end up that might not have a wi-fi signal for 50 miles or more. On the other hand satallite aquisition is not optimal everywhere either. I think using a combination of the two would be my best bet. Thanks again.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 9:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
If the date and time in your camera is accurate (The date and time of GPS devices is always accurate.), any GPS device (Garmin, Magellan, etc.) that keeps track logs can provide the data you need to geotag your photos. You can do it by hand, but there are lots of free programs that can do it for you (Microsoft Pro Photo Tools version 2, for instance) by matching up the date and time in the photo's EXIF data with data in the GPS track logs. (Of course, you need to have had the GPS device with you when you took the shot.) And even if the clock in the camera was off a little, most applications can time shift to make the pairing.
My first response didn't go through. I did just order a Garmin etrex20 partly for hiking purposes, mostly for accuracy. I just seemed like all the forums I read everyone was wining about how much of a pia it was to synch handheld gps devices or to get whatever program they were using to work with embedding the info. If I can find a decent program that works well with it then great. Then all I have to do is remember to take it with me
Old Dec 19, 2013, 10:07 AM   #7

I'm on my third Garmin, which is quite an accomplishment since they never break. I've got tracklogs dating back to March of 2001.

You need to transfer the eTrex 20's tracklogs to your computer via Garmin's software, then select the particular tracklog you want, and export it to a text file, then pair it up with your photos using some application (like the Microsoft Pro Photo Tools I mentioned.) It can be tedious, especially since you may need to work with multiple tracklogs. Tracklogs end when the device loses the satellites, like when you go into a tunnel, or are in a heavy forest, and start a new track log when it gets the satellites again. It's definitely not as easy as having a GPS in the camera, but GPS in your camera won't help you find your car.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 8:02 PM   #8

"It's definitely not as easy as having a GPS in the camera, but GPS in your camera won't help you find your car."

bwahahaha...too true!
Old Dec 20, 2013, 5:21 PM   #9

I'm another that uses a Garmin device and a software solution to geotag my photos (when I remember to bring the GPS, which isn't always the case if I'm not hiking). I've been using Lightroom, version 4, and it does a nice job. I've also used PhotoLinker (I'm Mac-based) but I just downloaded an update that torched it - I'm still using an older operating system and I think the latest version wasn't backward compatible, something I didn't think about when I automatically upgraded. But I haven't used it since I got LR4 so I'm not unhappy about it.

I usually take a picture of my GPS when I start out, just as a double-check to make sure the two are synchronized. I'm going to look at the tracks on the computer anyway, so it's not a big deal to export them to a file that whatever software you use understands, then import it into the program. Since I already use Lightroom as a photo organizer, I don't have to use another program, I can geotag at the same time I keyword my photos, save the metadata and then continue editing the photos.

I will say that I've eyed a GPS device that is made for my camera that also can be used for limited tracking while doing astro-photography (it also gives you compass heading), but it's hot-shoe mounted and I know I don't want to add any more weight to the camera when I'm hiking - I'd rather have a hand-held device on my belt.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2013, 5:55 PM   #10

Thanks mtngal. I'm about to upgrade to the LR4 and actually start using it I'm pretty good about doing a check and double check before I leave to go hiking or urban shooting. As a fall back I do have my phone. I'd heard a few good things about the Garmins and LR but it's good to get verification so thanks again.