Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 22, 2004, 6:05 PM   #1

Default Kodak Instant Camera

Hey all,

A friend at work is a pretty intent professional photographer. He is retired from doing photography for a business forms company. He was saying a long while back when Polaroid first came out with there "Instant" camera that kodak was soon to follow with a release of the same technology as the Polaroid. Polaroid shortly sued Kodak and Kodak removed the instant camera from the shelves. He to this day still has a Kodak Instant Polaroid camera (works). He thinks that Polaroid sued because the whites in the instants where actually white... :lol:

Anywho, does anyone else know anything about this camera? Seems like there might be an interesting story behind all this. If so, please share...
UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2004, 7:11 PM   #2
NHL

It was a true story!

Kodak came out with instant cameras after Polaroid had some sucess at it but get sued almost immediately: Kodak was defeated in court after a dozen years of marketing, because the technology it used imitated a Polaroid process even though they didn't use the same chemical formula: It had to do with blocking out the light after the paper was exposed, and pulled out from the camera, until the 60 seconds processing was completed. The top layer then became transparent again for the photo that was exposed to show through... :P

http://user.itl.net/~kypfer/instant.htm
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 11:06 PM   #3

lol thanks man...
UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2004, 7:28 AM   #4

I had one of these cameras. There was a class action lawsuit and part of the settlement was that I had to give up the camera, but I got a bunch of coupons for Kodak and some $$ (not much $$).

It was a very nice camera, and I thought it was much better than the Poloroid.
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2004, 3:26 AM   #5

Ive got an old one of those. I have collected quite a few cameras over the years and intend to make a display out of them. I guess the old polaroid was the closest thing to digital in that we got to see our photos so quickly. And at the time we all thought it was amazing technology Im talking early 1970s here
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2004, 12:58 PM   #6
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by aladyforty
Ive got an old one of those. I have collected quite a few cameras over the years and intend to make a display out of them. I guess the old polaroid was the closest thing to digital in that we got to see our photos so quickly. And at the time we all thought it was amazing technology Im talking early 1970s here
Hi Lady!

I guess I'm one of thoses collectors too:

Left - Land 250, and on the Right - Kodak "the HANDLE" Instant Camera

... and as a reference to modern days a 4G MuV02 MP3 player for size!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2004, 6:43 PM   #7

Ive have an old projector, a yasicha SLR, a Zenit SLR (everyone bagged that yet it took some great photos and still does) the polaroid, A little point and shoot which took a 126 sized film. a few other point and shoots. My first camera was an agfa point and shoot that I seem to have lost. Mum had a box brownie that I am going to try and get off her. people think im nuts keeping all this old stuff
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote