Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 23, 2004, 8:50 PM   #11

Default Thank you!

Thank you all for the responses. I have found similar sites such as Bizrate, etc. that includes customer ratings of retailers, but I did not see Starlight on that site.

I saw the Nikon Coolpix 5700 on their site for $399.99 after the $150 rebate, and was pretty impressed, was wondered about the service. I found other sites that still have prices 50-100 above that price after rebate. I have looked at so many sites, that I can't remember their customer service ratings now. I think 5 star electronics had the 5700 for $449 after rebate and Butterfly Photo had it for $499 after rebate. It seems that quite a few sites had it for around 650 - 150 rebate, or close to that price. That still seems like a phenomenal price for that camera. I am waiting for reviews on several of the new cameras from Nikon, Minolta, and Canon.

I wish I could find a 5mp with a large zoom (somewhere from 7x-10x) with minimal shutter lag, fast autofocus, and lowlight AF assist or at least good lowlight autofocus capability. Many of the new cameras seem to be addressing many of these items, but are also all competing with 8mp models, which is not so important to me.

More of that on other forums---
Is there a forum for camera comparisons such as 5mp, 8mp, super zoom, etc.? I have posted under forums by manufacturer, at least for the nikon models.

Sorry to get off topic---thanks again for the help with retailers!
Tom Schauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 10:47 PM   #12

Quote:
I wish I could find a 5mp with a large zoom (somewhere from 7x-10x) with minimal shutter lag, fast autofocus, and lowlight AF assist or at least good lowlight autofocus capability
How about the Minolta A1?
sjm817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2004, 12:48 AM   #13

This site was posted sometime ago and Starlight is mentioned. . .

http://www.panix.com/~donwiss/pictures/BrooklynStores/

Good luck, Suzan
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2004, 6:34 AM   #14

More than a few years ago, I was in the market for a camcorder. I bought a video camera magazine and started calling the stores with the big ads. Boy that was an eye opener. I discovered that many came without the standard charger, they'd open the package and replace the charger with a crappy one. If you wanted the good one, you'd have to pay extra. I also discovered that many were gray market cameras so they didn't have US warranties.

I did wind up ordering from a mail order house because even with paying extra for the right charger and battery, I still wound up paying about $250 less than I would have paid locally for the same camcorder.

However, they did overcharge me. Not by much, it was less than a buck. I called and they explained that they "always" round up. I made a fuss and they refunded me my money. Just think, steal 75 cents from a thousand customers a month and that helps your bottom line. I reported them to the attorney general for their state.

One big eye opener happened when I was on vacation in Florida, visiting my father-in-law. I wanted to get a couple filters for my camcorder so I wandered into a camera store at the local mall. Not a big name store, just a little mom'n'pop. I told the guy that I wanted a CP filter. He said that he had a set that had a CP, UV and something else that has faded from memory. I liked the price so I bought it. When when I got back to f-in-law's house I realized the package had a LP and not a CP filter. Called the store and the salesman claimed that he never would have told me that it was a CP. He said, "Bring it back." I explained that I was leaving town and that I'd have to mail it back. "We don't accept packages. If you mail it back, it will come back unopened." The result was that I had f-in-law return it and he told me that the salemans was royally ticked. I'm thinking that the place regularly screwed tourists who weren't willing to drive ten hours to return something.

The bottom line is BUYER BEWARE.
Yaworski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2004, 10:06 AM   #15

I ended buying the rebel and a lens from B&H. A couple salespeople were friendly and helpful and one salesperson wasn't exactly rude, but wasn't "chipper" (maybe it's a NY thing--NOT to offend anyone here) You'll get that anywhere, I guess.

Their prices were fair, and I can't wait to receive my camera. Good luck with your search, Tom.

Amy
amytude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2004, 10:28 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by amytude
I ended buying the rebel and a lens from B&H. A couple salespeople were friendly and helpful and one salesperson wasn't exactly rude, but wasn't "chipper" (maybe it's a NY thing--NOT to offend anyone here) You'll get that anywhere, I guess.

Their prices were fair, and I can't wait to receive my camera. Good luck with your search, Tom.

Amy
It's a NY thing! (I'm a native born NY'er, so I can say that!) It's the accent I think!

You're in good hands with B&H. I recently ordered some accessories from them. Ordered on Monday and received on Friday!
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2004, 12:09 PM   #17

Quote:
It's a NY thing! (I'm a native born NY'er, so I can say that!) It's the accent I think!
That's where my family is from, and by listening and watching over the years, I've decided it's not just the accent, but also a necessary protective shell. It gives the appearance at times of aloofness or toughness or even a sense of superiority. It's none of these. NYC folk are people just like anywhere else.

However, for those new to the accent and the attitude, it could easily be an experience and a half!

B&H--I almost inevitably end up with them. I dream of wandering into that huge store of theirs, touching and sniffing and testing.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2004, 1:02 PM   #18

Default Something of interest...

I used to work there & Sears has a "price matching guarantee". If you print out one of those Ads for a super cheap price on something Sears carries, they will match the price on the spot. I guess it depends on how well you want to sleep at night too...(I actually ordered some Z-rated Brigestone tires from them referring to a Tire Rack flyer...the Auto Service manager just ordered the tires right from Tire Rack & installed them on my car).
Old Feb 24, 2004, 1:05 PM   #19

that is a great link, gave me quite a chuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImKayd1
This site was posted sometime ago and Starlight is mentioned. . .

http://www.panix.com/~donwiss/pictures/BrooklynStores/

Good luck, Suzan
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2004, 2:49 PM   #20

Kalypso,
I know abt. Sears, I've used it before time and time again. However, this time I ended up calling THREE different sears stores. They all stated there was a new policy on discounting anything over $35 and that they had to write it up. I actually talked to 2 of the managers. This stinks, b/c Sears was really good to haggle with. Staples will also haggle, as I got my A80 for $330 instead of $399 (which I'm now selling, btw). So now I'm anxiously awaiting my DR!!!!

I think you're right abt. the NY thing, bcoultry. I went to college with several New Yorkers and once I got to know them it was fine. Being a girl from small town Kentucky (originally), everything was sugar-coated. Even if you hated someone, it was well, "Bless their heart, don't they look awful today?" with your best fake smile & southern accent. LOL...regional differences.

Amy
Is it Thursday, yet? I want my DR!!!
amytude is offline   Reply With Quote