Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 23, 2004, 3:20 PM   #1

Default Re: Reputation of Retailers

Re: Retailers

Starlight Cameras out of Brooklyn has excellent prices.

http://www.starlightcameras.com/

Does anyone know of their reputation or know of a site where consumers have ranked their satisfaction with this company?

Thanks,
Tom
Tom Schauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2004, 3:25 PM   #2

wow.....at those prices i'm thinking......"what's wrong with them"!

a Canon EOS 10d with deluxe package is 500 dollars off!
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 3:45 PM   #3

Here is a link to www.resellerratings.com for this store:

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller4099.html

Hope this will help.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 4:12 PM   #4

address is Crooklyn...I mean Brooklyn.... Check them very closely! The prices are VERY low. Those Brooklyn based mail order houses come and go so fast that it's hard to keep up.

Caveat Emptor
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 5:15 PM   #5

Hmmm, I read some of the reseller ratings. I'd call them up to see what they were like. I guess it would also depend on what you are buying. I've called up a couple of these NY places and they were typically very rude. HOwever, you never know! As long as you can open your mouth and say "no" to additional accessories, warranties, etc., it could save you money. If I were spending, say, $300 on a camera I might consider it. As I am in the process of purchasing a digital rebel now, I think I would be weary. What if something goes wrong??? Yikes! Good luck and do me a favor, pls let me know how it goes if you do decide to contact them.

Amy
amytude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 5:43 PM   #6

Amytude, the problem with that strategy is that many places will claim the item is not in stock unless you say "yes" to those extra items.

Also, some places will try to sell you many of the things that actually come with the camera (like a battery or 16MB CF card.)

The tricks they come up with are truly sad.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 6:05 PM   #7

Thanks, Eric. Well, in this world you never know. I was trying to get sears to give me 10% off the price of the rebel. I was just going to sell the kit lens. Unfortunately, they wouldn't do it. So, now, my search is on again. I really wish I could find the rebel body with only bare minimum accessories (I hate paying for ps elements, b/c I already own it). I want to get the 28-135mm IS lens.

Also, don't many of these places not offer the full canon warranty (if that is even possible)??? It is sooooo tempting to want to save $$$ any way I can. Another thing--I've been to two local camera shops. Both people there were pretty snobby! What's up with this? I explained that I'm a newbie and taking my first photo class. I tried my best to sound intelligent, but both guys tried pushing the 10D (which blows my budget). Arrghhh! It's very frustrating for me, as I have limited time to shop these days. Well, thanks for listening to me complain.....

Amy
amytude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 6:45 PM   #8

Hi Amytude

Newegg has it w/o lens but is out of stock right now for about $900.

They have always done right by me.

Check out this link:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...120-106&depa=7

Good luck
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 7:50 PM   #9

Sometimes these places are selling "Grey Market" cameras they are lower price but you don't get USA warranty and sometimes Normal things That the Manufturer includes they will charge you for. B&H is a very reputable company, I have Delt with them alot and have allways delivered. Good Luck
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 8:01 PM   #10

NewEgg, B&H, Adorama, Samys -- I can give a positive recommendation for any of those. I have ordered from all of them before and have always been treated right.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote