Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 24, 2004, 11:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactor
Heh, yeah... well, that's the common end-user.

The FZ10 is available in Aus, but it is a fair amount more pricey than the C-740 (which is right on the money, for me). I'd like to go for it, but the cost could be a real stretch.

C-740 is $750AUD
FZ10 is about $900AUD

I'll wait and see, but... I have a feeling the C-740 will be the ticket.
OOI, Where are you sourcing these prices? I looked, and the cheapest I could see the FZ10 was ebay at $999. The only ad I saw when shopping for the Oly 750 was really an overseas sale, with very questionable backing and maybe warranty. What is the price of the C750 at that source? from memory, the FZ10 was quite a bit more $$ than the 750, even in the US.

A quick look in the Web brought up a C740 for ony Aud$720, not on Ebay. I did find the FZ10 at $1039.

Why are you jumping from Oly _740_ to FZ10? I know I own an Oly 750, but it is priced nicely in the middle, at around $900 with current $50 rebate. It does have the higher pixel rating.

I can maybe understand the Oly 740 over the 750...._IF_ it measn better noise and fringing presentation, as I am wondering.
Nickagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2004, 4:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Heh, yeah... well, that's the common end-user.

The FZ10 is available in Aus, but it is a fair amount more pricey than the C-740 (which is right on the money, for me). I'd like to go for it, but the cost could be a real stretch.

C-740 is $750AUD
FZ10 is about $900AUD

I'll wait and see, but... I have a feeling the C-740 will be the ticket.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok. Here is my real, honest advice. In this case I actually did this, or something ike it. I have seen so many messages from people disappoointed by buying the "perfect" digicam, only to find it had flaws, then getting totally down on that camera.

I in fact bought a WebCam (640 * 480) which had no zoom and no settings. Back when I bought, it was not that cheap, maybe $250-300?

I learned of most of the problems, but not all. You have heard all the problems. You need to see them in action on a halfway decent camera.

If you are a better "salesman" than I am, buy the best you can afford, with a good zoom. If you find that digicams are not for you, then get what you can for it and take it as a lesson well learned.

Otherwise, since you appear to have liittle still camera experience, and seem to be basing your expectations on your experience with Video, I would suggest :
- borrowing someone else's
- If you can't do that get the cheapest 3MPi (or even 2MPi) camera that you can, that still has ISO speed settings and some level of manual override. Then take the shots you would like to take; dark; difficult; sport, whatever. Don't worry too much about zoom, although a 2-3X would be handy. See the results, and the shortcomings (or NOT, you may find) of digital cameras in the conditions you require of them. When you have decided whether digicams are for you, sell the thig for a hundred or so less than you paid, or give it to your relatives, and buy a "real" camera if you want to.
Old Feb 25, 2004, 9:37 PM   #13

That's interesting advice... thanks. I may just do that.

I have a webcam too. I love it, and I'm not mister picky when it comes to certain devices. I don't want a perfect digicam- I just want something that isn't going to make me regret buying it. Then again, as I said above, I may give it a whirl and sell it later if it isn't my cup of tea.
Reactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2004, 12:43 AM   #14

Quote:
That's interesting advice... thanks. I may just do that.

I have a webcam too. I love it, and I'm not mister picky when it comes to certain devices. I don't want a perfect digicam- I just want something that isn't going to make me regret buying it. Then again, as I said above, I may give it a whirl and sell it later if it isn't my cup of tea.
Hope I helped. You admitted it was a tough question <G>

Good luck, sport!
Old Feb 26, 2004, 5:58 AM   #15

Yep, sure did. And thanks... it all goes to helping me choose
Old Feb 26, 2004, 9:06 AM   #16

A WebCam/BarbieCam is a good way to start out in digital photography. Just make sure it can be used untethered - you don't want to be restricted to only shooting while connected to your PC. Beside price, I'd pick one on the basis of a reasonable amount of memory (maximum number of shots at highest resolution) and a style that it would make a good Christmas/Birthday present for your cousin/sister/nephew/...

One of the dirty secrets of digital photography is that you have to do your own "darkroom" work with a photo editor. Spend some time learning how to use a photo editor with your WebCam/BarbieCam's photos. After you have figured that out, you will have a much better idea of what you want in a digicam, you will be ready to use it, and it will be cheaper/better.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2004, 10:06 PM   #17

Thanks BillDrew... it's interesting you put it that way. I am quite comfortable with photo editing (colour correction, noise elimination, etc) so I'll try to think of it as darkroom work