Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 3, 2004, 4:04 PM   #11

You could also consider the Canon Powershot S1 IS with 3 mpixels and 10x zoom image-stabilisar. Don't know if somebody already mentioned this.
Bloodstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2004, 6:20 PM   #12
Tik

[quote="murphyc"]I had looked at the Toshiba, but from what I read it has a couple of the same disadvantages as the Z1

I got a Z1 in January and like you was worried about construction, fringing & lens wobble etc.

It's been a delight & I haven't regretted the purchase at all.

I've added the ZCW wide angle and keep the adaptor tube on the camera all the time for mounting filters .
Purple can mostly be seen and coped with by stopping down - or you learn to 'know' when it's going to happen - shoot straight at lights recessed in ceiling boxes - the box edge will sometimes fringe purple - it's not a major problem.

I had a 3x zoom before and the 10x was my reason for changing cameras - it's great and much more useable than I had anticipated.

10 frame per second burst works great.

Very pleased with it - I actually leave the house
now & take walks.
Tik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2004, 7:04 PM   #13

The Canon S1 looks like a good camera with great features (just pressing a button to get MF is a definite plus) but it's a bit beyond my price range. It's about $500 w/out accessories, and it doesn't have a hotshoe. If I were to upgrade from the Z1-level camera down the road, I would either jump to a Nikon D70-level or take the smaller step to Minolta A1/A2, Olympus C-750, Canon S1 etc.
Tik--thanks for the feedback, esp. about the burst mode working well. 8)
I've read how the Z1 can be coupled with one of three Minolta flashes only. I haven't seen anyone mentioning being able to use a different (i.e. cheaper) flash?
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2004, 7:33 PM   #14
Tik

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyc
The Canon S1 looks like a good camera with great features (just pressing a button to get MF is a definite plus) but it's a bit beyond my price range. It's about $500 w/out accessories, and it doesn't have a hotshoe. If I were to upgrade from the Z1-level camera down the road, I would either jump to a Nikon D70-level or take the smaller step to Minolta A1/A2, Olympus C-750, Canon S1 etc.
Tik--thanks for the feedback, esp. about the burst mode working well. 8)
I've read how the Z1 can be coupled with one of three Minolta flashes only. I haven't seen anyone mentioning being able to use a different (i.e. cheaper) flash?
I use the Z1 at work to record servicing procedures and find the flash pretty damn good.

Lifeboat house is next door
http://www.freeuploads.co.uk/uploads/lifeboat.jpg
Tik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2004, 7:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyc
I had looked at the Toshiba, but from what I read it has a couple of the same disadvantages as the Z1 (including construction) and it doesn't have the hotshoe. Also, it seems to be a bit hard to find. One of the prominent digicam sites doesn't list it, and I didn't see it listed at top rated stores like B&H or New Egg.
Pooper, as I stated in the original post I'm looking at $500 level including accessories. It looks like I can get the Z1 with everything for that price at B&H, so I'll be making the purchase soon.
Had no problems finding it up here in Canada, in fact it was the best priced camera in the class here. That and the better accessory package it comes with (compared to most the others in the class) were certainly factors in my decision.

My top choices were the Oly 750 or the Panasonic FZ10 but both would have cost me approx $400-500 overall with the the camera and additional accessories I've bought to this point and surprising I found the Panasonic hard to find here in Canada.
Gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2004, 7:13 PM   #16

Just to add I was considering similar cameras recently, previously owning an early fuji digicam, 1.3 mega-pixels will produce a good 6x4 print!! Looking keenly at the fuji S7000, I finally selttled on paying the extra for the fuji s7000. Best decision I made! Faultless easy to use and supurb picture quality. Buying a higher resolution camera to some extent future-proofs your investment. Okay so you may not always want to print @A4 size, but the extra pixels are invaluable when you want to crop and magnify a poorly framend photo. Also the build quality and features of the 7000 are higher. Hope this is of some use.....
mike from liverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2004, 4:58 PM   #17

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I looked into all the suggested cameras, and for the dollar and my needs the Z1 came out on top. I ordered it from B&H for just over $500 including 256 Lexar 32x card, 2.0 SD card reader, 5-yr warranty, batteries/charger and screen kit. Look forward to getting it shortly and testing it out at the track later this month.
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote