Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 24, 2004, 6:08 AM   #1

Default Image size, what gives?

I downloaded some pictures from my camera and they were all around 750 KB in size. I cropped a few and the saved images were suddenly about 1.4 MB.

What happened?
Yaworski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2004, 6:29 AM   #2

Assuming you saved as a JPEG file, when you cropped and saved you were presented with a window that said 'select quality'. In the bottom left corner of your screen, sometimes after a few seconds delay, some text appears which shows you the file size for your chosen quality level. This quality level is the amount of compression (and quality) which will be applied by Windows or your editor, when your edited file in pc memory is saved.

I would select a quality level producing about a 20% larger file than the original, that way you you shouldn't see much more compression distortion after saving, than on the original pic. Choose a file/quality level/ size of about 800Kb to 1Mb.

PS at these pic file sizes, hard disc storage is cheap - don't worry too much. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2004, 2:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
PS at these pic file sizes, hard disc storage is cheap - don't worry too much. VOX
Thanks for the info. I wasn't too worried about disk space, I was emailing the pictures and I am not one of the blessed with DSL.
Yaworski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2004, 4:15 PM   #4

If you are emailing the images, I hope all of the folks you are sending them to have a better connection than I do. At 26.4Kbps I really don't like large attachments. Nor would the folks with a web based email system like having a big chunk of their 3-5M storage used up in one whack.

IMHO, it is *MUCH* better to build a little web site and email the URL. With a couple of different image sizes/compressions, you can accomodate folks with slow connections and not overflow anyone's in box. Also, some email systems strip off attachements.

Of course none of that applies if you are emailing them to be printed.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote