Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 21, 2014, 2:52 AM   #1

Default EXIF Data

I am not sure the reason but the EXIF data is not present in my images?

My OS is now Win 7 64bit if that matters.

I have seen comments where the EXIF was missing. Is this a OS issue?
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2014, 5:34 AM   #2

I have a new Windows 8 laptop, but I just checked my wife's Windows 7.

When I opened a photo in the Windows Live Photo Gallery, I just pressed alt+enter and the exif data came right up, the same as my old Vista. When I right clicked, it came up as properties first.

My Windows 8 won't do that. It's been a nightmare to make sense of.

Last edited by BBbuilder467; Feb 21, 2014 at 5:38 AM.
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 6:20 AM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Boat Guy View Post

I have seen comments where the EXIF was missing. Is this a OS issue?
If you mean the images you're posting here, they're probably just too large (either dimensions or file size) and the forums software is stripping it out.

When you use the Manage Attachments feature (paperclip icon) to insert images, you'll see the maximum allowed sizes on the page you use to browse and upload images.

The longest side should be no longer than 1024 pixels, and the file size should be no larger than 253.9KB.

Most of the time, if you downsize images so that they're within the allowed dimensions (longest side of 1024 pixels or shorter), and use a JPEG compression (Quality) setting of around 80 percent (or around 8 on a 1 to 10 scale) with the image editor you're using, you'll be within the allowed file size, too.

If you exceed the maximum allowed size (for either dimensions or file size), the forums software will still try to let you attach them. But, it will resize and recompress the images, and also remove any Exif metadata in them.

Here's a screen showing the maximum sizes that you'll see when attaching images here. It's best to stick within those sizes (file size no larger than 253.9KB, longest dimension of 1024 pixels or shorter) to prevent the forums software from modifying your images and stripping out any EXIF info in them.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 6:21 AM   #4

Quote:
How are you checking for the EXIF data?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 7:34 AM   #5
Administrator

I think he's probably referring to recent photos he's posted here. For example, the ones in this thread:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/sp...-softball.html

I can tell that the forums software did see the photos as being too large (either the dimensions or file size were over the allowed limits), and did recompress the images (and when that happens, the Exif does get stripped out).

When I see "CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62)...", in the jpeg comments section of the image metadata, that's indicative of the images being resized and recompressed by the library our forums software uses for that purpose (and his posted photos in that thread contain that jpeg comment, meaning that they were too large for the allowed limits and were reprocessed by our forums software).
Old Feb 21, 2014, 9:07 AM   #6

That makes sense. When Old Boat Guy said ...
Quote:
... and went on to say ...

Quote:
... I thought he was referring to the inability to see the EXIF data in images on his computer.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 11:53 AM   #7

Thank you for the replies.

I did resize using irfanview but noticed one of the images was indeed to large. The four shots came in at 496 kb (to large) 94, 65, and 134kb respectively.

Using XP and Firefox I never noticed an issue. Using an EXIF viewer for Firefox under Win 7 I now go to the critiques thread and out of the first ten threads I can see the EXIF info for one out of the ten images.

Sorry for not being clear in what I was trying to say TCav. I am not having any issues retrieving data on my system. For whatever reason I am not able to see the data when posted to a public forum.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 11:57 AM   #8
Administrator

It's not just the file size, as if the dimensions are too large (longest side is more than 1024 pixels), that will also cause the forums to resize and recompress your images (stripping out the Exif at the same time).

So, you have to make sure the longest side is no more than 1024 pixels, *and* the file size is no larger than 253.9KB to prevent the images from being reprocessed by the forums software.

IOW, you could have an image size of 1025x600 pixels with a file size of only 100KB, and that image is still going to be reprocessed by the forums software (because the longest side was 1025 pixels, and that's longer than the 1024 pixels allowed here).
Old Feb 21, 2014, 12:53 PM   #9

Thank you Jim. I never noticed before so have most likely made the same mistake from day one.

I will start paying closer attention and see if the issue corrects itself.