Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 20, 2002, 8:33 PM   #1

Default emailing jpgs

Has anyone else noticed how difficult it has gotten to mail large images/files? Partly this is a response to the virus protection overlays added by ISPs.

Recently, I went shooting, and INSISTED to my friends, Hey, no problem, let me shoot, I'll just email you the pix.

Half of their isps stripped off all attachments. The other half had a 5 meg limit--I had to send a few at a time instead of a zip file (6 megs). Some of them are computer illiterate--unzipping and navigating to the files wasn't for them either.

I ultimately gave up and uploaded a Shutterfly album and sent them a link for shared albums.

This all seemed like a lot more effort than it should have.....
monsieurms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2002, 9:25 PM   #2

The time, expense, and sheer damage well written attack and intrusion mechanisms on organizations is something any administrative or IT person should go through once in order to learn how bad things can become.

If sharing large files on a regular basis a webspace for $20-50 a month split would work or using 5mb per attachment is a good starting point.

I have also had mail bounced and it is a pain, but you already wrote about part of the reason.
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2002, 9:45 PM   #3
NHL

I even have problem E_mailing to myself between home/office (@ 20M limit), and I have broadband! This is why I use the microdrive for transfers!

However if one use IrfanView, DIVU, or similar program to resize all pictures first then the files are significantly smaller before Emailings... PBase is also a good place for uploading full res. pictures...(and it also accepts zipped concatenated pictures file)

[Edited on 8-21-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2002, 10:11 PM   #4

I consider it to be really sort of rude to send full size shots unless they've been requested as such.

Really need to resize to 4x6 or 5x7's before sending. You fill up mail boxes. If your receipent has a slow or a work connection, it can take forever or create problems for them at work. I had someone mail me 9-10 shots that took 48 minutes to download (19200 is the fastest I can connect, DSL & Cable Modem are not even an option). At the time I was waiting on an important work email that I needed to respond to ASAP. Talk about foot tapping.

If your friends and family want full size, send a CD or at least let them ask, in which case you know it's OK. They have both the connection and the server space to handle it -or- they're OK with the download time. An alternative is to post them on a gallery site and then they can view & download (I think they can download) from there on their time frame.

ar
A Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2002, 10:40 PM   #5

I agree - large, unrequested files of any kind can be a pain. For all kinds of reasons.

Since there can be problems with e-mail attachements, I think the best way to send pictures is to put them up on a web site and e-mail the URL. Even with the e-mail itself, there can be problems unless you stick to simple ASCII.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2002, 9:33 AM   #6
lg

Default My two cents worth...

I'd recommend sending 800x600 pics in JPEG format, compressed to 50%. This will get the filesize down to below 50K. This setting gives good screen resolution and shouldn't cause much problems with mail attachments. If your recipients want to print them out, then just send large files for the ones they want.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2002, 4:44 PM   #7

For the record, these were requested files. I understand why some difficulties occur (re: viruses) but it seems to me to be too broad a solution to simply ban all jpgs. Why not ban all *.doc files, which are more susceptible? And everything else? My ISP won't even let you send an HTML file! And then *.zip gets stripped off, too....I do think the utility of the internet gets harmed if one takes the position, and it's coming pretty close, that attachments are simply forbidden. People need to be educated: 1. Have a virus scanner 2. Keep it auto-updated 3. Do not open any unexpected attachments without emailing the sender. SImply forbidding all attachments goes a bit too far.
monsieurms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2002, 7:47 PM   #8
NHL

PowerPoint presentations are large too, if not bigger than jpegs... Just boycott ISP that's proprietary, or filtered. They'll learned soon enough... However, there's two separate problems:

1. Dial-up ISP speed - can be solved easily by cable, DSL or satellite anywhere the other two doesn't go.
2. Storage limit - this is where all ISPs are pretty skimpy on still!!! Sites like Pbase solve this 2nd problem... ie send just the link and the receivers download whatever they want, just like this forum.

[Edited on 8-22-2002 by NHL]
Old Aug 22, 2002, 7:34 AM   #9

Default Size of Files on PBASE

I was not able to upload a "large fine " JPEG file to PBASE without first decreasing the size by at least 50%. The original file was 3072 x 2048, or approximately 2.5 Mbyte. Once resized was < 100 k. "Slug" the moderator of the site said he preferred smaller files to conserve bandwidth, but didn't know why the site would't accept the larger file. He also said PBASE could automatically resize large files. When I want to give someone the full image for reprinting, if they can't receive it via email attatchment, I'm having to send it via snail mail, burned onto a CD
Barbados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2002, 4:50 AM   #10
NHL

I have downloaded 8-12Mb zipped files to PBase with no problem. The Minolta pictures were run through DIVU first to get the color right, so the file sizes are some what reduced, but so far PBase accepted evrything I have thrown at it. Slow dial-up or your ISP sometime times-out and giving you error messages as well...

http://www.pbase.com/image/4092209