Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 25, 2004, 8:41 AM   #1
Nor

Default Fuji s5000 v Canon A70

Buying this camera on behalf of my father. Thankfully he's bitten the bullet and accepted joining the digital age Its basically a camera for a pick up and shoot man, nothing that requires technical knowlege to take a piccy (but perhaps the ability to be abit more creative and manually set stuff somewhere down the line)

The Canon A70 is perfect for what he wants. It does everything and is exactly whats needed. However, its coming down to aesthetics. I think he'd rather look like is more pro than he is and the Fuji s5000 would achieve that I think. With the SLR lookalikey chasis etc I think he'd feel more comfortable shooting with it.

Its basically about 40 more expensive though and the extra cost of the type of memory it takes over CF would have to be taken into account aswell. My question was is the s5000 a superior camera than the A70 for general use and would it be an option to scrimp a little and go for the S3000, although its not quite as pro looking as the s5000.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Nor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2004, 5:25 AM   #2

Between the Fuji and the Canon, the Canon A70 would be the one I would pick. The Fuji S5000 is basically a fake SLR or SLR wannabe because the CCD type in it is only a 1/2.7", something that point and shoot cameras use. Real SLR type/class cameras use at least a 2/3" size CCD or more.

Nikon just released the 3700 and one of the new features it has is 640X480 video at 30 fps continuous with sound.
yubtseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2004, 7:16 AM   #3
Nor

Believe it or not its the fake SLR aesthetics that are the attractive feature

I've read all the reviews, saw a few negative things said against it aswell as alot of positives. Guess what I'm hoping someone with abit more knowlege than me will tell me, is the S5000 a better camera than the A70.
Old Feb 26, 2004, 8:19 AM   #4
hst

Default 5000 has a 10X zoom

I don't have either camera. I have shot some pictures with the A70 and thy looked good. Quite a few reviews however talk about the issue with Red Eye. It can be removed with software but its kind of a pain having to post process a bunch of pictures if you doing point and shoot.

The 5000 has a 10X zoom which would get you much closer in a variety of settings. I have seen some images that really impressed me with the 5000. Users really seem to like it. You might want to go to the Fuji section of the forum and post some specific questions on it and then go to the Canon forum and do the same. Users seem to give you a good idea on what features they liked.
hst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2004, 10:50 AM   #5

My son has the S5000 and it takes very good pictures. The 10X zoom is very good. I have not used the A70.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2004, 12:01 PM   #6

I'll be honest, between the two, I'd go with the A70.

The Fuji certainly LOOKS nicer, and that zoom is nice, too. But darn it, if it doesn't just compress the hell out of it's images. When you're viewing them at higher sizes, you can really see the noise and artifacts in them, and the menu system doesn't allow the compression (quality) choices the A70 does.

That being said, if your Dad is not planning on making prints that are larger than 5x7, these Fuji quirks really won't show up that much, and it might still be the better choice. If however, he's planning on doing lots of 8x10 prints, they're going to show up. Actually, while the A70 does better 8x10 prints, if he's going to want to do many enlargements, you might want to consider a higher res camera such as the A80.

So really it boils down to print size. If he's just wanting online/email and small print images, since he likes the look and feel of the Fuji, go for it. But if he wants large prints, reconsider.

Greg
atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2004, 4:15 PM   #7
Nor

Thanks very much for all your replies.

I have to say the reviews of the s5000 and the reports of the aggressive compression did worry me. For the most part my dad would be doing 5 x 7's. However, he would like the scope for bigger prints (most of the pictures will end up becoming prints, not just sitting on the PC). I'm sure he'd be pretty annoyed if he found the great picture he wanted printed big had artifacts and noise.

At the end of the day I think the camera aesthetics will have to take a back seat to the final product. After all thats what the camera will be judged on, not pose value. I think we may even consider using the s5000 budget to up the spec to an a80, just to be sure that if we did want to 'go big' the resolution would be there to support it.

Thanks again for all your replies, its a hard decision picking from one of many but it does help alot when people chip in with their opinions. Cheers.