Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:31 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Companies do what is in their best interests and the interests of their share holders. And, when you have a market that is dominated by only a very few those companies have greater ability to influence market direction to their benefit.
And that is exactly what I am saying is wrong with this picture. Not that there is anything wrong with companies trying to do what is in their best interest but rather consumers accepting it as the way it has to be. Just because Canikon decide that mirrorless is the way to go doesn't mean we have to accept the end of the crop DSLR. As long as any company still makes a quality one consumers can vote with their dollars.

My beef is with consumers, not companies. The vast majority just buy what they are told to. If 5 years from now most are shooting either FF DSLRs or mirrorless because they have been shown to be the better choices than I have no problem with that. Personally I see no benefit for me from either and I am quite content to shoot older technology so it doesn't really matter.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:38 AM   #22

John - honestly for me, I'm not that concerned. Sure I have my preferences. But the reality is - all the form factors are good enough. I'll survive with whichever technology survives because they will meet my needs. Exactly the same as either blu-ray or HD DVD would have fit my needs. All I care about is competition. I don't care as much about competing technologies as I do about competing companies. Maybe that's where you and I disagree - I just don't see any of these technologies as being that much worse. I like an optical viewfinder, but I don't see the current challenges to EVF and focusing associated with EVF to be insurmountable. The latest cameras seem to do just fine for everything but the most demanding action photography. So, I'm not worried that in another 5 years they won't be capable of replacing OVF.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2014, 10:50 AM   #23

I agree with you 100% on wanting to see competing companies. Which is why I bemoan the fact that in the DSLR world our choices are being limited.

John
Old May 8, 2014, 12:56 AM   #24

Ok, time to eat my words I just bought a refurbed N1 V1 to try out. I really like the sounds of the 2.7x crop factor and if I can focus it with my old glass it may solve my constant 'if only I had a camera with me' problem. Very cool that a 200mm on it would be only a little shorter than my 400 on my APS-C cam. For $250 (with a 10-30mm kit lens for any wider work I might do, unlikely as that is) it seems like a worthwhile experiment. And if it works I'm looking forward to seeing how using my 400/4 on it would compare to the 400 + 1.7 TC on my APS-C since the focal length would be about the same.

John
Old Aug 8, 2014, 11:32 AM   #25

I have been looking online about FF vs APS-C but none (that I found) said anything about the vignetting like you mentioned that occur even on FF lenses. Vignetting with my present APS-C lenses was my main concern (rightfully or wrongfully) when I was comparing FF vs APS-C for my next body, since going FF to me meant also going FF-version lenses (to avoid vignetting) which would add ~$1K+ per lens.

Nearly all FF vs. APS-C sites I saw focused on the high ISO comparisons. But for me who does practically, exclusively HDR, high ISO does not matter. I am always shooting tripod-mounted at the lowest ISO. I'm sure even at the lowest ISO my images would benefit from FF's lower noise, but spending at least $2K more (and passing the cost down to the client) for minimal-to-negligible (if at all) difference didn't make sense to me.

Also, (and this may apply only to me) the wear and tear for HDR shooters is 10x more. So I may as well look for cheap, disposable APS-C bodies. (I've had 2 bodies repaired by Sony over the past 4 years, I suspect because of their "high mileage".) It would really be painful financially and emotionally to have that happen to a $2K FF body.

I may still go FF in the future (*if* I had the extra cash) because it would really be nice to shoot friends' weddings, indoor activities, church events, etc., where there is not enough lighting (as with most places) and I have to get that one shot right just that one time (example: you may now kiss the bride..). So in other words, (and quite ironically) if I go FF it would not be for professional business use but for my own sheer pleasure.

Thank you for the writeup, TCav. I hope google ranks it high so people doing research will find your useful info.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2014, 12:06 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
Thank you for the writeup, TCav. I hope google ranks it high so people doing research will find your useful info.
Thanks very much for your kind words.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote