Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:36 AM   #1

Default iphone vs hasselblad

Still trying to improve your photography by buying new gear?
Blaming your existing gear for poor images?

http://petapixel.com/2014/04/21/quic...st-hasselblad/
http://www.photigy.com/iphone-vs-has...ng-new-camera/

It's not the gear, but the knowledge of photography and lighting that is holding you back.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:09 PM   #2

Peter - while there is a lot of truth to the notion that skill and knowledge are the most important factors, the comparison test is a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Let's consider a more realistic test for the family photographer. An indoor birthday party. Shoot the party with an iphone vs entry level DSLR with external/bounced flash. View the results on a 17" monitor just like photos being shared with relatives. See how well the iphone fairs then.

Or, better yet, how 'bout that school play? Skill and knowledge are extremely beneficial but they're not going to overcome the limitations of the smartphone when compared to the results from better equipment.

It still all comes down to the job you need to do and what tools are right for that job. For a party we had for St. Patrick's day in our dimly lit bar, I'd hate to rely on smartphone photos over the bounced flash photos.
When my son takes up soccer again this spring, I doubt I can achieve the same results with my iphone that I can with 300mm 2.8 lens and 5dIII. Although, it is certainly arguable that in good light someone with a t5I and that same lens could get photos close. What is NOT true is that someone with a 75-300 and t5i is going to get results similar.

Bottom line - I doubt many family photographers are taking a lot of studio shots. All the test really confirms is that for studio work - lighting, composition and backdrops are infinitely more important than sensor and even lens (as long as the lens used is at a sweet spot).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2014, 8:32 PM   #3
Dig

If it is true that photography is all about composing and lighting the I suggest all professional photographers sell all their equipment and just buy a smartphone.

Imagine if Ansel Adams had access to a smartphone. Half Dome from Glacial Point would look the same but he would not have had to carry all that equipment with him.

Imagine how great it will be for sports photographers to realize all they need is a smartphone to capture that amazing catch, punch, block, jump, etc.

All war photographers can now carry only the lightweight smartphone to capture the battle field.

All the best
Dig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2014, 8:55 PM   #4

Be kinda hard for that WW2 photographer to find a wall wort when his iphone battery is flat, though.
spacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:40 PM   #5

John,
absolutely, as a pro you use the equipment appropriate to the job, no question! You would not be in business long if you did not.
I'd be in virtual doodoo without having access to a 500 f/4 or my 300 2.8.
But how many family photographers actually know enough to get flash(s) off camera and mix ratios or even to bounce the one on their camera. If it is capable of bounce.

Dig, sports?
http://www.tuaw.com/2013/10/14/sport...the-iphone-5s/

and meet the new waterproof Sony 20.7mp and 4k video smartphone
http://www.sonymobile.com/ca-en/prod...nes/xperia-z2/
Though I'd be more interested in the new Sony 12mp A7S mirror-less myself, it has potential.

No, smartphones are not going to do away with real photo gear any time soon. But their capabilities are getting into the useful and salable range.
Alamy and Getty both accept smartphone images for stock sales now.
http://www.popphoto.com/news/2014/03...rtphone-images
http://www.alamy.com/pressrelease/re...02/19/194.aspx

spacer,
so a wwii photographer would not be able to find a wall-wort for his smartphone but he would somehow be able to charge his dslr ???

A little combat camera history http://www.combatcamera.be/equipment/

I'll dive back into never never land now, only surface here periodically to see it things are still alive.

Last edited by PeterP; Apr 21, 2014 at 11:53 PM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 6:40 AM   #6

One additional note: "Waterproof" is a very misleading term. Do you know just for snorkeling it is recommended you have a watch that is 200m water resistant? Standard watches are often 30m - that's 90 feet. The point is - waterproof cameras aren't really all that waterproof. Good for occasional, short dips in the pool or surf - which is a definite bonus. But, if you truly want waterproof you're better off buying a housing for a camera where seals can be inspected and replaced.

As an aside Peter - I'm not a professional. I used to run a side business like many hobbyists. And, while I agree, many family photographers don't know a lot about how to use their equipment, with a little help and guidance they can understand how to use the gear. I mean, once they know to buy and bounce an external flash it's no more difficult to use on a basic level than the built-in and they get immediately better results. The RIGHT equipment can make a huge difference. Give a tripod to a macro or landscape shooter and a little instruction and suddenly their photos get better.

I think the point is more relevant with regards to people who chase every upgrade of camera body. When I replaced my 1dIII with a 5dIII it didn't make every photo better. The vast majority of photos would be indistinguishable. However, the newer sensor and processing engines provide me a LOT more latitude to recover photos I botched. That's a huge help because I'm not a great photographer - I mess things up. So, having an image file with a lot more latitude for processing saves my butt.

And, try getting this shot indoors where you can't back up with a digicam or smartphone:
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2014, 9:22 PM   #7

PeterP, I don't think he would, at least not easily. That still is one of the beautiful things about the simple light-tight box and emulsion film.
While I don't think I'll be going back to film full-time, I still like to mess around with it from time to time, and I know that I can pick up my Canonet without worrying too much about whether it's charged.
That woulda made a pretty good war camera, I think.
spacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2014, 7:24 PM   #8

I get it.

If you'll be capturing a still image that will only ever be used on-line or in a video, the extra noise from a smartphone shot will be lost in downsampling. Plus, the scene doesn't have a lot of dynamic range anyway. So why bother with a 50MP image from a Hasselblad, or even a 39MP image, when an 8MP image will do.

Wait ...

Was this supposed to be serious?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2014, 11:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I get it.
I hope you do because my take on this is the same as yours. Someone must be trolling

Taking my camera to the baseball/softball games the differences became crystal clear. A mom uses a smartphone to shoot a video that is uploaded to youtube then embedded to her facebook page. Smartphones do a fine job for snaps and vid clips but try getting a shot good enough to print an 8x10.

There are smart phones out now that beat the mp count of my Sony by more than 30%. The parents would come to me to try to get action shots of their kids. The benefits fo my smartphone are ready access and weight savings. The downside is it is a phone

When I first showed up over on the Sony forum JimC and TCav spent considerable effort explaining to me why the sheer mp count is not the be all end all when choosing a camera. Articles like this aggravate me because they mislead people who are already confused. A budding photographer somewhere will read this article and become frustrated when the results are not what were claimed.
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2014, 9:13 AM   #10

Hate to see you get all aggravated and confused Old Boat Guy.
You might like this older comparison video better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZMvJ5qFWlc#t=530

I'd be careful with Sony products for a while that company is in a bit of trouble.
They have already sold off their PC unit and are splitting of their TV unit, basically they are unloading all the high volume low profit consumer electronics portions of their business to try to stay solvent.
Their camera unit is currently in the black and still doing OK.
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303496804579365813295595026
http://business.financialpost.com/20...rnaround-2014/

Last edited by PeterP; May 8, 2014 at 9:23 AM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote