Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 11, 2014, 11:45 AM   #1

Default Help " whats happened

Hi, I need help here because nothing like this has happened to me before.
I have recently bought a replacement for my Pana FZ7 , the FZ200. I have been playing with it this week and put the photos from it into My Pictures via P/elements. After looking at the pics, in my stupidity I decided to see what the shutter count was(I realize now that bridge cameras don't have shutter counts). Anyway I went onto a site "shuttercount.com uploaded a photo, the reply was " camera was not recognized" I then downloaded Opanda ,opened my photo with it, no shutter count recorded. This is where it went wrong. I opened 2My Pictures" and every folder in is empty except for some docs I had scanned. I had over 8000 photo's storered in My Pics. So does anyone have any idea where they have disappeared to?
Fortunately I have them all stored on an external H.drive also they are still in photo elements. I suppose they can be copied back from my ext H D into my pics but where the hell have they gone and why?? hanks for any help.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2014, 11:53 AM   #2

I don't know what OS you are running but the first thing to try is a search using one of the img numbers. That should show you where they have gone if they are still on the HD. Also, is there a chance they were marked 'hidden' by accident? Beyond that I'd say the easiest will be to just copy them from the external HD Hope this helps some.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2014, 12:07 PM   #3

Thanks John ,but I need more abc type of info I think. I went into P/E and went under >file >get photo's then I typed in the P 100092 file name and it was there in a separate folder but when I looked in M Pics all folders were empty.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
Old May 11, 2014, 9:44 PM   #4

When you go to the folder in which the pic was found, do you see the rest of them also?
I had a very similar thing happen several years ago, and never did figure out why, but the pics weren't lost, just misplaced by a software glitch.
If you locate the files, and are unable to open them for viewing or editing, it is likely you came across some type of malware which may have encrypted them. Usually, though, if that is the case, you should get an email or popup telling you that you have to pay to recover the files. (you don't)

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2014, 5:33 AM   #5

This is where it is a bit weird, I have a folder (like most people called My Pictures.
When I down loaded the pics from my FZ200 I created a separate subfolder "FZ200" in a folder called " camera testing shots " the photo I opened with opanda was in that FZ200 folder as was the one I uploaded into shuttercount.com. When I went back into my pics all my folders were empty except the FZ 200 subfolder which was still intact? I have since done a search of my whole pc using an old photo's details but it was not found. I have not had an email selling me back my photo so far but as I also have them all stored on an external hard drive I wouldn't pay any thing.
I muffed up copying them from my ex H.D yesterday, not being very PC literate I copied My Pics from my Ex H D into my pc my pics, so now I have all my pics back but in a folder called my pics inside my My Pics folder ,dohh!!
So today I will delete all folders from my My Pics folder then transfer all my folders from my ex H D into my PCs my pics folder.
My excuse is I'm 78 and pcs are still like parts of the Amazon jungle to me.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
Old May 12, 2014, 6:05 PM   #6

G'day DS

I suggest you immediately stop trying to copy images from backup to the main hard drive ... try to undo the problem first

Possible solution 1 of 2 [#2 to follow]

Every Windows folder has a small index file called Thumbs.DB - and I think that it has been corrupted by the Opanda stuff

Try this:-
My Computer > Organise > Folder Options > View
"Hidden files & folders ...

* Click "Show hidden files etc"
* Untick "Hide protected operating system files" [you will get a warning, ignore it at the moment]

* Open My Pictures
This will show you what's in the folder including operating system [hidden] stuff
* Delete Thumbs.DB
[you can repeat the open / delete Thumbs.DB in any folder you think is faulty]

* Close folders, incl My Pictures

* Open My Pictures ... and Windows will recreate the Thumbs.DB from whatever images it finds

See how you go with this one
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2014, 6:39 PM   #7

G'day DS

Possible solution 2 of 2

It is possible that the unwanted software has deleted the connection between the JPG files themselves & your usual photo editing software

Try this ...

Start > Default Programs > Associate a file type with a program
Go down list to locate JPG ... JPEG ... etc

If the program shown on the RHS is -not- your desired program...
* Click "Change Program"

from the next screen, select "Browse"

Windows will open the Programs area of the computer and you need to locate your program. For this text, let's assume it is PS Elements

Find the Adobe folder > DBL click to open it
Find PS Elements folder > Dbl click to open it
Find "Adobe Photoshop Elements [version number?] > DBL click

you will return to the Windows "Choose Program" screen > Click OKay

and your preferred program name should be alongside JPG

Repeat for JPEG, maybe TIFF if you edit & save in TIFF format

Hope that one way or another this helps you ~ if not, then I feel that you're up for a major tidy up of the My Pictures 'department' ... put on the kettle and get the muffins out
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014, 10:03 AM   #8

Thanks very much Phil. I appreciate all the effort you have made on my behalf. I'm sure you are right that they are still on my pc although I did do a search of my hidden files plus my whole pc which drew blanks.
Unfortunately yesterday I copied all my 8000+ pics over from my ext H D .First I deleted every folder from my " My Pictures" folder even though they were almost all empty, so it was completely blank. Then copied and pasted them all over, it took over an hour to complete.
My P C is over 8 years old so everything is slow but I still have plenty of space on my hard drive.
What I am going to do is get another ext HD as another back up.
I hope you replies are kept somewhere for others who will probably get this problem at some time.
Thanks again everyone who replied
John
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod