Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 24, 2014, 3:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
The SurePost and Econo ship (maybe just a name change) are cost saving measures by UPS. The driver drops off a lot of packages in one place instead of driving around to deliver to each house. Saves time and fuel. UPS pays the USPS a fraction of what they get. UPS makes money, USPS loses money, and the taxpayers absorb the losses.
In other words, corporate welfare.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2014, 3:21 PM   #12
Administrator

IRT my problems with "UPS SurePost", my last package was supposed to have 2 Day delivery (and it took 9 days to reach me).

It was ordered on May 7th from Amazon (using the Amazon Prime 2 day shipping) and was supposed to be delivered on May 9th (two days later).

When I didn't see it on Friday, May 9; I figured that they had a problem and I'd have it either Saturday May 10 or Monday May 12. No such luck. So, I went into the tracking info for it on May 13th when it still had not arrived, and it showed it on track for delivery on time (May 9, even though I was requesting the tracking info days later on May 13).

Gotta love that irony (tracking system still projecting on time delivery days after it was supposed to have been delivered). Here's a crop from a May 13 e-mail update I requested (showing it should be delivered on time on May 9). :-)

Tracking numbers removed to protect the guilty:

Cute (tracking showing package should be delivered on time on May 9, 2014, from an update I requested on May 13, 2014 showing it had not been delivered yet). So, yep, the UPS package tracking notifications need some work.

But, then again, they may have [wrongly] assumed that USPS had delivered it on time and they just had not received notifications back yet.

Here's what going to the "shipping info" section on the UPS tracking site showed once it was finally delivered (not until May 16th, 9 days after I ordered it, and 7 days late):

So, where in the world was that package between May 8th (when UPS says it was transferred to USPS here in Savannah) and May 16th (when USPS finally delivered it to me)?

I had a similar problem the last time a vendor shipped to me via "UPS SurePost" (only the last shipment took even longer to reach me).

It's speculation on my part, but I suspect my package was sitting in a bin at USPS waiting to be processed, and they have some kind of procedure issue with how they handle packages delivered to them from UPS.

Again, that's speculation, but even when using just USPS (versus any kind of UPS handoff to them), I've seen very long delivery times with items I've sent using USPS Priority Mail (for example, 8 days for a Priority Mail envelope to go from Savannah to Ohio when they only estimated 2 or 3 days).

I've seen that kind of thing *MORE THAN ONCE* using USPS (with no other carriers involved).

On the other hand, UPS ground delivery to me (from a variety of locations) has always been very fast.

So, I suspect that USPS is the culprit when I see these long delays in delivery based on past experience with them; as according to UPS tracking, the package was transferred to USPS here the day after I placed my order (transferred to USPS in Savannah on May 8th, and it wasn't "Received" and delivered to me until May 16th, leading to my speculation that it was just sitting in a bin somewhere at USPS here in Savannah for 8 days waiting to be processed).

Again, this was not the first time I've seen those types of issues when USPS is involved in package delivery.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2014, 7:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
So, where in the world was that package between May 8th (when UPS says it was transferred to USPS here in Savannah) and May 16th (when USPS finally delivered it to me)?
I am in the city now but we still have contracted rural carriers. I was told that the hand off packages were last priority. Once the regular USPS items were loaded then any left over room would be used for the other packages. No room? Better luck tomorrow. If I am lucky I get a card in the box telling me I have a package a the post office.

I have to be very careful when I order tool bits and blades. UPS Ground can mean different things to different vendors.
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2014, 12:47 PM   #14
Administrator

I'd like to know more about how that process works and if the carrier is the one responsible for "receiving" the packages already delivered to the local post office by UPS in that kind of case.

IOW, I'm wondering if our specific ("regular") postal carrier is the culprit. For example, only a few weeks ago I heard a knock at the door, and when I opened it saw a package at my doorstep with the USPS delivery vehicle out front at our mailbox (getting ready to drive away).

I quickly looked at the package and saw the it was not even for me. It was not even for anyone on my street (or even in the same subdivision for that matter). Instead, it was for someone living on a totally different street with only the address number (not the street name) matching where we live.

I very quickly walked (or more like jogged) down to the USPS vehicle before it went to the next house on my street and showed the postal carrier the package and what the issue was (not even the correct street name). For that matter, the street names were not even close in any way to each other (very short street name where the package was supposed to be delivered, much longer street name where I live, with nothing in common as far as spelling or pronunciation.

The postal carrier apologized with a comment that it was just "an honest mistake, no harm done", then drove to the next house on my block for further mail delivery.

I'm sure there are many very good USPS employees. But, the carrier we have does not appear to be the "sharpest knife in the drawer" (and/or is just careless about making sure mail and packages get to the intended recipients).
Old May 25, 2014, 7:28 PM   #15

I have had some great rural letter carriers but the current one is not in that category.

As I understand how this is supposed to work if I choose the economy shipping through UPS. UPS will handle the shipping from pick up at the senders to delivery to my local post office. Once the post office has the package it is just luck of the draw. Here is a good example. I bought a new range for the house and ended up with a number of coupons for accessories. Pizza rock, broiler pans. Just the basic stuff. I received a final notice in my mail box one day and called the post office to mention I had never received a first notice. Our postmistress told me the boxes had been in the back for more than three weeks.
Old May 25, 2014, 8:26 PM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Boat Guy View Post
...As I understand how this is supposed to work if I choose the economy shipping through UPS. UPS will handle the shipping from pick up at the senders to delivery to my local post office. Once the post office has the package it is just luck of the draw...
This wasn't your typical "economy shipping" with open ended delivery times.

This was using Amazon Prime 2 day delivery shipping (a feature you get if you pay the annual Amazon Prime membership fee for "Prime Eligible" items). Apparently, they've got some type of Service Level Agreement with UPS for that type of delivery for smaller packages, and UPS must have an agreement with USPS for that type of process to work.

IOW, Amazon and UPS Tracking were projecting On Time Delivery on May 9, 2014 (the advertised 2 day delivery time frame), for an item ordered on May 7, 2014; and UPS did their part (according to their tracking), and transferred the package to USPS here in Savannah, GA (where I live) on May 8th, for expected "on time" delivery to me on May 9th.

But, apparently, it sat somewhere for 8 days (May 8, 2014 when UPS transferred it to USPS here in Savannah, until May 16, 2014 when it was finally "received" and delivered to me by USPS). See the crops from screen captures of the tracking updates above in my previous post.

So, perhaps someone at USPS didn't get the word about those types of Service Level Agreements (which I would expect to be in place between UPS and USPS for Amazon to advertise 2 day delivery when using those types of delivery services via UPS); and/or one of the USPS employees just treats all packages handed off to them from UPS the same way because they just don't care (or know) about following proper procedure for a given shipment type.

That's speculation, but regardless of where the fault is, I'm not happy about it (since this was not the first time I've had similar or worse issues with deliveries when USPS is the carrier performing the final delivery). But, it may not even have anything to do with the hand off, as I've seen estimated times for delivery of USPS Priority mail to be off by a number of days in the past, too (where no other carrier like UPS was even involved).

I'm sure all delivery companies have issues from time to time, and the area you live in (or the specific employees being used) probably makes a big difference in the quality of service you receive. But, I'd rank USPS dead last (by far) when comparing them to other services (UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc.) from my experience with them in this area.
Old May 26, 2014, 5:38 AM   #17

TCav, The package is not here yet. The USPS website still has the same status which is "Pick up information recieved.". I called B&H and they tell me that the product has been shipped. At this point, I believe that B&H has shipped the item but the added "advantage" of Priority shipping is not there. The USPS site service is a bit questionable. The product has a 10 day delivery window which puts it in this week. It would be really nice to be able to track it though. Next time, if they do have UPS or FedEx, I will take that option.
kleanchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2014, 9:36 AM   #18

Call your local post office and ask how these shipments are handled in your area. JimC pointed out above the tracking info and delays that can happen once the USPS has your package.

Good luck

I think you are correct Jim. I have to watch the UPS side of the tracking info to determine when something hits the postal system or it can sit until returned. I have also had them come to me with the next days mail.