Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 21, 2014, 5:15 AM   #1

Default B&H Slow shipping or USPS issue?

I ordered a few items B&H website. The ordering process is fast and easy, however the shipping seems to be very slow. Now I have a USPS tracking number which continuosly say "Pick up information recieved."

I paid USPS Priority Mail for this order. Who should I blame Slow shipping from B&H or USPS? This is the second time I am experiencing such a delay. When you pay the extra money for Priority Mail, one would expect better service.

Very frustrated and just venting.
kleanchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2014, 6:46 AM   #2

Have you not received your order in the time you'd expect a USPS Priority Mail package to arrive?

I once ordered something from Adorama, and since I didn't need it right away, I opted for the free shipping which only guaranteed delivery within 10 days. I live in the Washington, DC area, and UPS Ground shipping is overnight, so I didn't expect "Free Shipping" to take too long.

After one day, the tracking info showed that my package had left Brooklyn and was in New Jersey. It stayed in NJ for a couple of days, and on the fourth day it arrived in Philadelphia. No further updates were available until the eighth day, when it appeared in Martinsburg, WV, where someone put a stamp on it and dropped it in a mailbox. I got it the next day.

As entertaining as that episode was, I don't choose "Free Shipping" anymore.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2014, 2:11 AM   #3

It looks like "Priority Shipping" is the new "Free Shipping". Same quality of service at a higher price.
kleanchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2014, 10:12 AM   #4

OTOH, I recently received a USPS order from Amazon which arrived two days earlier than the estimated delivery date. Three days from Denver isn't bad at all.
A lot of it seems to depend on which distribution center your package goes through, and that is also the case with the package companies.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2014, 3:07 PM   #5

Basically, USPS Priority Mail is the same as First Class Mail, that is 1-3 days delivery within the lower 48 states, with the exception that there is insurance and the potential for useful tracking info, though that hasn't been my experience.

For real tracking info, consider UPS or FedEx instead.

BTW, have you received your package yet?
Old May 23, 2014, 10:14 AM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
OTOH, I recently received a USPS order from Amazon which arrived two days earlier than the estimated delivery date. Three days from Denver isn't bad at all.
A lot of it seems to depend on which distribution center your package goes through, and that is also the case with the package companies.
I've had issues with delivery from Amazon each time they've used the system where UPS is the carrier and it gets delivered by USPS. That delivery type is known as "UPS SurePost"

For example, I ordered a protective case for my wife's phone on May 7, 2014 that was supposed to have free 2 day shipping (since it was "Amazon Prime" eligible and I have that service), with the original tracking info from UPS showing it should have on time delivery after it shipped (projected delivery date of May 9).

UPS tracking shows the package transferred to USPS the next day (May 8, 2014). Yet, if I look at the separate tracking number for USPS, it shows it wasn't processed until May 16th (even though it shows shipping info received on May 8), and it was finally delivered that day (on May 16).

IOW, what was supposed to be 2 day delivery took 9 days. I probably would have received it in a few days via standard UPS Ground. But, because I used the free "2 Day" delivery from Amazon Prime, and they used the UPS SurePost method (where it gets handed off to USPS), something went wrong and we had to wait much longer for delivery.

I suspect the issue is with USPS versus UPS (although that's speculation), since UPS ground shipping to me is usually very good.

The last 2 times that shipping method was used (UPS SurePost handing off the product to USPS for final delivery), I've had problems with long shipping times.

I've seen similar issues with USPS alone. For example, I've seen it take 8 days for a USPS Priority Mail envelope (using their Envelope) to reach someone, even though they estimated something like 2 day delivery to the location it was being sent to.

At other times, USPS delivery has been great. But, it's very inconsistent for sure.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2014, 11:15 AM   #7

I have had items delivered that way (UPS to USPS), from other places, and called 'econo-ship', but again, haven't had any difficulties.
The only time I get missed deliveries is from Fed-Ex. The drivers change frequently, and I think they must use some type of mapping software via their cell phones rather than GPS, because they often seem unable to find my house, and the only reason I can think of is that I am in a cell 'dead zone'.
I usually prefer USPS shipping, since I have a PO box, and packages get stored in a heated building, rather than left outside in the weather.
Old May 23, 2014, 1:41 PM   #8

I can only say that "Free Shipping" is worth every penny.
Old May 24, 2014, 1:35 PM   #9

I have never really had any problems with free shipping if it's from UPS since pretty much everything takes at least a week from the East coast anyway. Last free USPS is another story however. Was supposed to be here on the 13th, got it the 19th. My last Adorama order came SurePost and I honestly have no idea what the point of it was in this case. From following the tracking info it was simply dropped off at the post office a half mile from our house. Granted, it is more secure than the usual method of just putting the package on the ground behind our fence (I sure hope they are opening the gate and not dropping it over a 6' fence!) but I have never had a problem with that method. Unless some tweaker is watching the UPS truck no one would ever know it's there. Sometimes the faster delivery speed is worth it but for the most part I order things knowing I'll be waiting a week to get it.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2014, 2:22 PM   #10

The SurePost and Econo ship (maybe just a name change) are cost saving measures by UPS. The driver drops off a lot of packages in one place instead of driving around to deliver to each house. Saves time and fuel. UPS pays the USPS a fraction of what they get. UPS makes money, USPS loses money, and the taxpayers absorb the losses.