Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 17, 2014, 5:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
I recently had something similar happen to me where the person posted in the Critique forum and asked for a critique. I gave my critique in what I thought was constructive format, even showed how I would process the image. What I got for a response was, "Well, to each his own. I guess I'm a snapshot person." I don't understand. If you're a "snapshot person" and you KNOW it's snapshot quality, don't WANT to go to the next level... why bother?! I'm no McNally or Kelby, but I think, like you, have gathered my fair share of knowledge and have improved enough to at least offer to help someone when asked. Sooooo... I just post my stuff, take the occasional "That's nice" and move on. You can bet I won't be offering help anymore unless it's something I'm not going to regret - which is a rarity anymore.
I was not offended by your post, just admitting my lack of passion, and knowledge.
I learned the difference between a snapshot and a posed, composed and PP'ed photograph. Soooo... I just keep to myself
I would love to have the resources and the time to take beautiful photo's but there are more pressing priorities in my life.
The next level will still be there for me if I ever get the time and money to enjoy it.
I still will look and admire...to myself.

Last edited by Ektachrome; Jun 17, 2014 at 6:19 AM.
Ektachrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2014, 10:04 AM   #12

This is a very interesting thread and it is things like this that keep me coming back here. The exchange between Gary and Ektachrome highlights one of the problems with forums, the lack of anything other than written words. In real life the exchange would likely have gone much better because of all the social cues, body language, tone of voice etc, that are lacking in a medium such as this. I know I have found certain things said here really annoying (and pointed that out) but may not have in real life. With little to go on we are left to mentally create the other and what we create may have nothing to do with who the real person is.

That said, as others have pointed out, digital is an old medium now so it seems natural that interest would wane some and that many of the regulars would drift away. I still like to visit regularly but find little to comment on anymore. Kinda sad but inevitable, when only a few posters are left how many times can you tell them 'great shots' before it feels hollow?

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2014, 10:33 AM   #13

As was previously stated, everything is going "social media". I *intensely* dislike Facebook, don't like Twitter much either. Google+ seems a little more my style. It's not a gossip center. One of the things I like is the feedback. People don't have to say a word if they don't want to... just "plus" the post. Getting invited to post in certain Communities is certainly verification that you're doing things right or well on your way. And, like here, if you find someone annoying, mute him/her. It works very well for me.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3

Last edited by gjtoth; Jun 17, 2014 at 11:26 AM.
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2014, 10:50 AM   #14

It seems that there is also a change in the types of advice given to newcomers asking questions. A while back, the advice was more in the practical vein, with answers involving technique and lighting. Lately, it has become much more gear oriented, with answers to questions such as "How can I take pictures of my kitten, who moves around so much, without getting blurry shots?" turning into: "You have to buy the latest 50MP Sonicanikon full frame with the gyro stabilized F .02 ultra coated self supporting lens. It should only cost you about $35,000 and you can also take baby pictures with it."
Original poster is never heard from again.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2014, 11:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
It seems that there is also a change in the types of advice given to newcomers asking questions. A while back, the advice was more in the practical vein, with answers involving technique and lighting. Lately, it has become much more gear oriented, with answers to questions such as "How can I take pictures of my kitten, who moves around so much, without getting blurry shots?" turning into: "You have to buy the latest 50MP Sonicanikon full frame with the gyro stabilized F .02 ultra coated self supporting lens. It should only cost you about $35,000 and you can also take baby pictures with it."

brian
Ha! funny cause its true. DSLR's are cheaper than ever and in such a commercialized society everyone has to have everything they want now!

I have spent months trying to convince my cousin who is 11 that he does not need a 600 euro DSLR, and to learn how to use his little pocket camera. I brought him on outings where i just brought my camera phone or pocket camera, encouraging him to learn about lighting, composition aperture & shutter speed.

After months of work, and thinking i succeeded i get a mail just yesterday saying he has gotten X amount of cash for his birthday and which of these two DSLR's should he get.

He still doesnt know what aperture is, focal length, ISO etc and how they all relate. But he wants to take photos like he sees on flickr, so throwing money at the issue is the solution. Cut to a scene of another DSLR gathering dust in the back of a press in 6 months time.

And worse, he has no inclination to actually learn. the camera will sort out all that silly detail. not like when i was learning i came here to ask questions, got good advice started out with 3 mp Casio point and shoot for a good 3 years, eventually moved to a panasonic bridge (FZ7) that lasted me 4 years, and only then did i get a DSLR, because i had learned the limitation of my bridging camera (crap above iso 200 giving unusable photos due to noise, severe purple fringing in telephoto, no hot shoe etc etc)

Kids today eh! (old man rant over!)
schmintan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2014, 11:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post

brian
Wait... yer saying I didn't need to buy that Sonicanikon with the gyrostabilized lens? Damn.

I agree with you, Brian. The questions asked are pretty much the same thing. People don't want to "go through all the trouble" of learning or even doing a search on the forum when they can just have someone else do their thinking for them. And, so... they follow the yellow brick road thinking the most expensive equipment will make them better photogs. I chased that rabbit for a while. Not just with camera equipment... with computers, guitars, and a myriad of other things during my life. Then, after reading some posts (actually post upon post many times over!), I realized that a GOOD photographer can take make a GOOD photograph with a Hello Kitty camera (and, I actually saw that done on Youtube).
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2014, 4:58 AM   #17

My S95 can go just about anywhere and does the job for me. Lighting, composure, focus are the things I try concentrate on.
Also a good dose of luck once in a while helps too.
Back in the day I traveled Alaska for two weeks with 2 Minolta 35 mm bodies, 3 heavy chunks of glass, tripod and a case of film, and a giant bag to haul it all around.
My recent trip to Hawaii I bought my S 95 with a polarizing filter and two batteries, and was happy with the pictures too

I have seen some really amazing photos on this and other sites and it's pretty easy to tell the difference between a point and shoot snapper and a DSLR pp'ed shooter.
But the gap is closing pretty fast.
I learned a long time ago it's not the Arrow its the Indian, and the best camera is the one you use.

@ jelow1966 you hit the nail on the head
Best regards to all, and to all it's time for work

Ektachrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2014, 9:00 AM   #18

Yes, but now you need the gps enabled self guiding Patriot Smart Arrow with 95 mirv heads, the center 5 of which have double precision!

Sorry couldn't resist.
Thread is hitting on some bang on points.

I've felt that photo students who actually want to learn, should have the option of beginning with something like a digital version of the old Pentax K1000.
An inexpensive camera with a sensor and 0 built in automation, no dial to flip and let the camera do the thinking for them.
For some reason I doubt it would sell well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ektachrome View Post
I learned a long time ago it's not the Arrow its the Indian
Old Jun 18, 2014, 9:45 AM   #19

I think it's disingenuous to lump everything into the "what camera should I buy" discussions. That's one subforum here at Steve's. So, I really don't think participation in the site as a whole is down because people are getting bad advice on what camera to buy. Gear specific forum participation is down as is genre specific participation. Again, not just here in my experience but on other forums as well.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2014, 11:43 AM   #20

I wasn't referring just to the "What camera should I buy?" forum. This sort of thing pops up everywhere. The initial question asked can be in in P&S forums where someone is just trying to get non-blurred shots of kids and pets, or in General discussion where someone asks about indoor lighting problems. The answers may start out with discussion of technique, lighting, etc., but seem to mostly degenerate to being arguments over gear.
brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote