Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 19, 2014, 2:43 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
I wasn't referring just to the "What camera should I buy?" forum. This sort of thing pops up everywhere. The initial question asked can be in in P&S forums where someone is just trying to get non-blurred shots of kids and pets, or in General discussion where someone asks about indoor lighting problems. The answers may start out with discussion of technique, lighting, etc., but seem to mostly degenerate to being arguments over gear.
brian
Absolutely. the identification of a problem is usually visual evidence of an issue, i.e. blurry/grainy/offcolor/over and under exposed photo.

These issues should come to light in either the processing forum, beginners forum, or critique forum.

But the problem is people nowdays really expect technology to do it for them. The problem couldn't possibly be my lack of education in a vast area of photography, it must be my gear, I need a more expensive camera.

its a fundamental change in the masses, need for instant results & instant gratification with minimal effort. This is the fake sense of reward people expect.

I even found it with facebook. im standing waiting for a bus, check FB, coffee break, check FB, its 11:47am, check FB, I just woke up, check FB. It gives you a sense of " ive done something, I got that thing sorted now", without you actually doing anything. like feeling full after eating a bar of candy, you feel full but you got no real nutritional value from the bar.
schmintan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2014, 6:48 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmintan View Post
Absolutely. the identification of a problem is usually visual evidence of an issue, i.e. blurry/grainy/offcolor/over and under exposed photo.

But the problem is people nowdays really expect technology to do it for them. The problem couldn't possibly be my lack of education in a vast area of photography, it must be my gear, I need a more expensive camera.
My question would be: how does your observation translate to a reduction in posting here at Steves's? One of the other participants in this discussion hypothesized that people leave because of the opposite - they are asking for help and being told the only way to improve is to buy $3,000 cameras. It seems like you are suggesting people actually want a "new gear to solve my problem" response.

I'm just trying to make the connection between your statement and how that relates to lower turnout here at Steve's.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2014, 8:57 PM   #23
Dig

Interesting conversation. Based on many of the comments I decided to visit some other forums I visit occasionally and they seemed very active. Lots of posts with interesting interactions.
Dig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2014, 9:38 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig View Post
Interesting conversation. Based on many of the comments I decided to visit some other forums I visit occasionally and they seemed very active. Lots of posts with interesting interactions.
Out of curiosity are these other forums more brand specific? I'm just wondering if what we are seeing is that more and more people are set in the brand they use and so tend to congregate now in more single brand forums, such as Pentaxforum.com for example. No idea if this idea has any weight behind it, just something I thought of as I read your post.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2014, 1:17 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
Out of curiosity are these other forums more brand specific? I'm just wondering if what we are seeing is that more and more people are set in the brand they use and so tend to congregate now in more single brand forums, such as Pentaxforum.com for example. No idea if this idea has any weight behind it, just something I thought of as I read your post.

John
I don't think you are alone in that thought. There are a few groups of people here that congregate according to the brand of camera they use. The Pentax forum is one that could exist on its own, without the rest of us. They even have their own photo contest, requiring Pentax ownership. Many of the Pentax shooters rarely venture outside their forum to look or comment on other peoples work The Panasonic forum is another rather tight knit group, but the 4/3 forum have them beat. As a Sony user, I feel like an outcast at times. The Canon and Nikon forums don't fare much better. As long as we have this kind of division, nothing will change. To me, I have seen Steve's go from a thriving photographic site to a gear- oriented one. These are just my opinions, but I feel I may have abundant company.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2014, 7:07 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwild View Post
I don't think you are alone in that thought. There are a few groups of people here that congregate according to the brand of camera they use. The Pentax forum is one that could exist on its own, without the rest of us. They even have their own photo contest, requiring Pentax ownership. Many of the Pentax shooters rarely venture outside their forum to look or comment on other peoples work The Panasonic forum is another rather tight knit group, but the 4/3 forum have them beat. As a Sony user, I feel like an outcast at times. The Canon and Nikon forums don't fare much better. As long as we have this kind of division, nothing will change. To me, I have seen Steve's go from a thriving photographic site to a gear- oriented one. These are just my opinions, but I feel I may have abundant company.
Personally, I try to use the different topic forums (Wildlife, Close-ups, etc.) to post my images in. I find there's more than enough division in those alone, let alone all the brands. It really shouldn't matter what brand one uses, only that he/she is a photographer that is actively shooting. If a viewer wants to know camera brand, he/she can look at the profile or ask the poster. There IS, however, a need for separate brand forums. That being brand-specific question, reviews, comments, solutions to problems, accessories.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2014, 9:05 AM   #27
Dig

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post

John
Actually one of the sites is more computer oriented but one of the forums on the board has developed many threads about cameras. Should I buy this or that? Photography photo threads, etc. in the midst of computer questions.

The other site is more general with forums about cameras as well as places to post photos.

What I noticed about both of these is the activity is still very high. If someone posts a photo there is a lot of commentary posted after. There are a lot of beautiful shots from seasoned veterans as well as beginners.

I guess my point is it is not as simple as saying all sites are is less active when that may not be the truth. There may be other things in play as to why this site is less active.
Dig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2014, 12:00 PM   #28

It's a shame there isn't more activity here. Having to resort to another forum for an answer to a question I had made me realize how much better it is here. Talk about a lot of snitty blowhards....

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:59 AM   #29

I guess there's a lot of people reading and 'tooting' to see whats going on.... just because they don't post daily say's they aren't there.

I only post occasionally but always reading and learning, tootin and saying now't in the process.

Dave
davy is offline   Reply With Quote