Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 1, 2014, 5:08 PM   #1

Default my camera died!

so, a while back, my 5D Mk II started giving me "error 30" messages. it's out of warranty - just over 2 years old - so i took it to a highly regarded local camera shop. well, they just called, apparently the shutter needs replacing, and it's gonna set me back almost $600 to get the damned camera fixed!! i really cannot afford this, and if not for the fact that a new camera would cost me a whole lot more, i wouldn't bother. the thing didn't even have 10,000 clicks on it! Canon estimates the life of the 5D2 shutter at 150,000, and mine dies after 8,800? really? needless to say, i am NOT a happy camper!!

Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering...
~ Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2014, 5:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirl033 View Post
so, a while back, my 5D Mk II started giving me "error 30" messages. it's out of warranty - just over 2 years old - so i took it to a highly regarded local camera shop. well, they just called, apparently the shutter needs replacing, and it's gonna set me back almost $600 to get the damned camera fixed!! i really cannot afford this, and if not for the fact that a new camera would cost me a whole lot more, i wouldn't bother. the thing didn't even have 10,000 clicks on it! Canon estimates the life of the 5D2 shutter at 150,000, and mine dies after 8,800? really? needless to say, i am NOT a happy camper!!
Oh, man... I'm really sorry to hear that, Rocky. If it were any of mine, I'd be sick about it. Did you tell Canon the number of clicks? Sometimes, if you howl a lot, they'll make some concessions. Best of luck getting back up and running.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2014, 6:07 PM   #3

I would definitely give Canon the third degree... relentlessly... that's just not acceptable to be failing at that count.
Fingers crossed for a positive outcome...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2014, 7:48 PM   #4

Default Rip

I have a Sony H50 and a Kodak 990 which died. I turned it on and it starts to push lens out and dies.
Neither had too many clicks on them. I really miss the Sony h50, I had a lot of pics which didn't need any PP.
Ah well.
Lisa
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2014, 10:04 PM   #5

I think, if it were me, I would send it to the manufacturer for service, along with a letter expressing my disappointment with the reliability, and the damage to it's reputation this would cause.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2014, 11:57 PM   #6

Rocky, I agree with the consensus that says raise hell with Canon. I would copy and paste your original post to Canon. I would be pissed too, not kidding! As my father-in-law likes to say.. "Don't take any prisoners."

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 8:48 PM   #7

Steve's digicams is a very popular website for camera reviews. 5th popular on google as of now.
Being that your an active forum member who frequently post I think that gives you a little leverage. I would definitely make sure that Canon is made aware that the forum members are watching to see what happens.
Good luck Rocky. I'll be watching to see what happens.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 10:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomitamike View Post
Steve's digicams is a very popular website for camera reviews. 5th popular on google as of now.
Being that your an active forum member who frequently post I think that gives you a little leverage. I would definitely make sure that Canon is made aware that the forum members are watching to see what happens.
Good luck Rocky. I'll be watching to see what happens.
+1 ^^^^!

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2014, 1:14 AM   #9

Contact Canon, they were fixing that problem for free. I'm not sure what they are still doing about it now but give them a call as it can't hurt.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 12:00 PM   #10

Yes give them a call, as you have nothing to lose. Also inform them that the situation is being watched by a large camera community of which you are a member in high standing. Again, nothing to lose.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote