Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 31, 2014, 12:28 PM   #1

Default Lumix FZ150 Digital Zoom knowhow

HI All

I have been using my Lumix FZ150 for a while now and am pretty happy. One thing still bugs me though. I cannot figure out in what mode I can actually use the digital zoom!! I won't work in P A M S iA... so far the only time I managed to use it was in Custom mode and after the shot it immediately turns itself off. I realise there are quality issues with digital zoom but it's there to use if I know how. I have also seen in the manual something called Ez zoom not sure what that is.
Any help or advice will be gratefully received.
Thanks
Anniemaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2014, 6:10 PM   #2

G'day Annie

After you have popped into the main menu and turned Digital Zoom 'on' you can use it in any of the P A S M modes. On the EVF screen you will see the horizontal 'tram-lines' with a blue section on the RHS ... this is the digital zoom zone

I would not suggest using more than 1/4 ~ 1/3 of this blue zone, as after this there is so much magnification of the image that it becomes quite blurry

Here's a rather poor image of it ...

showing the somewhat impossible 113x maximum zoom

Hope this helps
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2014, 9:58 AM   #3

Hi Ozzy Traveller
Thanks for the reply. I tried as you suggested, but with my camera in iA mode, select Menu, scroll down to page 4 in the menu selections and the Digital Zoom listing is faded out, and when I try to scroll down to it the highlight bar jumps right over it, so I can't even get onto it to select it. Likewise all the other Modes.

Thanks for trying to help though, I appreciate that. Perhaps I should contact Panasonic and get them to explain it.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 10:17 AM   #4

Hi Again Ozzy Traveller
Tried phoning Panasonics customer help line, or should I say unhelpful line. Basically she referred me to the manual page 124 where the modes are listed that I can use the digital zoom in. But I have tried those modes and still have the same problem, non ability to select digital zoom. So I come back to the helpful people of the forum for and ideas what to do next.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 10:37 AM   #5

HI Ozzy
Back again, I've figured it out YiPEE! Thought I'd let you know. The problem is shooting in RAW. Apparently you cannot use the Digital Zoom if you shoot in RAW, if I got back to jpeg suddenly it kicks in.
Many Many thanks again for the help.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 5:53 PM   #6

G'day Annie

Okay - at least you have found something useful

Other useful things might be:-
iA may be okay for a 'real beginner' start - but you will find "P" Program will become more useful. In 'auto' mode everything is preset by the camera maker to 'dummy' mode ~ to check, press the menu button and chack the number of option screens available. In "P" [or "A" or "S" or "M"] mode, the menu options explode to cover 1001 more settings and shooting choices

As to shooting in RAW - I don't recommend you go down that path - use JPG [I do for 100% of my stuff] - use JPG as it will give you easily usable / viewable / printable images immediately

Hope this helps
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote