Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 11, 2014, 2:59 PM   #1

Default What Camera Should I Buy is the busiest forum on the site!

Just browsing the site, I noticed that the "what camera should i buy" forum is the busiest on the site, by quite a bit and that says a lot about "photographers" now days.

It looks like people spend more time researching their next bit of gear and lusting after equipment, instead of just getting out and taking photos.

Im not talking from a high horse here, I do the exact same thing, but recently i started taking a lot of photos with the only camera i always have, my camera phone, and have started learning that yea, good gear is great to have and helps , but ultimately what matters is getting out and taking photos.

So I would like to know what are peoples view on the fact that we (photographers) spend more time looking at gear than out taking photos?

Ive put some examples of my camera phone images up on my latest blog post for anyone interested in having a look.
schmintan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2014, 3:52 PM   #2

G'day mate

Without considering things too deeply, there's 2 possibilities here -

1, the OP is too lazy to do their own investigative work and decision making for whatever becomes their final shortlist, or
2, there's a huge amount of $$ out there and some OPs just have too much to go around, and so keep spending ... !

I find that I look at fewer & fewer posts of that nature, as it seems to me that too many OPs are after option-1 ... maybe I'm becoming cynical in my old age

Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2014, 9:47 PM   #3

I would have to add that there is a third possibility, and that is that cameras in a given category have become very similar in features, and that deciding among them based on specifications is quite difficult. It seems that a lot of posters are looking for advice from those who have hands on experience, after narrowing down their choices as far as they can go.
When that is the case, I usually don't have much to say, not owning all the cameras mentioned. (or any of them, mostly)
brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2014, 3:12 AM   #4

Some fair points there guys.

But, IMO one would assume that once you get a camera, you take lots of pictures.

Lets just imagine you post 10 individual threads researching a camera ( not posts, full threads that can have many posts ).

Now the person has a camera, lets imagine they take 1 worthwhile photo per week, not a lot of photos really. They post this one photo in the relevant forum.
thats 10 posts about buying a camera vs 52 posts of actual pictures taken with the camera.
Wouldn't this make other forms end up a lot bigger as one camera can spur a lot of posts through its pictures?

( there are a lot of hypothetical here, like assuming people post any worthwhile photos).

But even considering this , the "what camera..." forum is still much bigger. To me that says that people buy a camera, but as it doesn't take the photos in their head, they "obviously" need better gear, another gadget etc to take that perfect photo. There is no real time spent learning how to use the camera, its intricacies, its quirks, and most importantly, taking lots of shots with it, getting out there and actually using it!
Old Aug 12, 2014, 5:53 AM   #5

My perception is that many members post questions in the What Camera Should I Buy? forum, and once they buy a camera, they don't come back for a couple of years until they want to replace that camera with something newer. That would, all by itself, explain the apparent popularity of that forum.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2014, 5:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
My perception is that many members post questions in the What Camera Should I Buy? forum, and once they buy a camera, they don't come back for a couple of years until they want to replace that camera with something newer. That would, all by itself, explain the apparent popularity of that forum.
Even with that, I would assume that as a camera can take many picutres, which could be posted in relevant forums, even wtih a massive drop off rate of users after they buy a camera, combined remaining users would still post many more photos.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 6:17 AM   #7

I'm with TCAV on this - I think the novelty of being involved in photography discussion forums has worn off for a lot of people. For some, the hobby of photography, like any hobby, has been put on the shelf. For others, they still take photos but the discussions have all become stale and the posting of photos for people to say "nice shot" to has become stale as well. So, they move along.

It's similar in other things. I belong to a couple of Audio Visual forums - I'm active every 4 years or so when I need a new piece of gear and want to get some specific questions answered. I then enjoy my purchases for years but don't feel the need to get on to A/V forums and discuss said gear constantly.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2014, 7:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmintan View Post
Even with that, I would assume that as a camera can take many picutres, which could be posted in relevant forums, even wtih a massive drop off rate of users after they buy a camera, combined remaining users would still post many more photos.
Go down to the bottom of the Forums home page, to the What's Going On? section. Down there, you will find something like what I see now:

Currently Active Users: 479 (8 members and 471 guests)

Less than 2% of the people using the forums are members that have logged in. (I put it that way because I suspect that a few of the guests are members that just haven't logged in.)

Go down a little farther and you'll see something like this:

Threads: 208,712, Posts: 1,368,678, Members: 161,931

With 161,931 members starting 208,712 threads, that's less that 1.3 threads per member. Personally, I've created 172 threads, which means that either I'm a bandwidth hog or the vast majority of members don't start threads.

With 161,931 members posting 1,368,678 times, that's fewer that 8.5 posts per member. I've created almost 13,000 posts. Again, either I'm a bandwidth hog or the vast majority of members don't post very often. Even you post almost 50 times more often than the average member.

So if you're looking for a "massive drop off rate", I think we've found it: Most members, in fact, the vast majority of members don't post very often. ... fewer than 8.5 times.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2014, 9:21 PM   #9

It would be interesting to find out how many of the 'members' are in fact, spammers who have registered in order to post once, and then were banned, or moved on, never to be heard from again. I have seen quite a bit of this myself, and imagine the moderators are nearly overwhelmed at times.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote