Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 4, 2014, 7:44 PM   #1

Default Recommendation for dvd burning software

Hi everyone

I am looking for software to download online that burns dvds with video/audio downloaded from the internet. I know there are many programs out there however there is one (or possibly more than one now) that I used about 10 years ago. It was freeware back then and it basically stretched out the max time of the dvd beyond 2 hours. Most blank dvds have a 2 hour max written on the discs. However this program (i forget the name) extended that restriction to 3 and sometimes 4 hours. When i burned these dvds 10 years ago about 25% of the time they failed and I had to start over with a new disc however it was worthwhile in the end because I managed to fit more on each disc however the quality suffered on some of the content others were kept at original quality. So long story short my question is do you remember the name of this program or any similar? In case it's not longer a good idea to stretch dvd space and time would you like to recommend your favourite dvd burner (freeware)? Thank you
sandia911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2014, 9:03 PM   #2

One program that I use on occasion, is Freemake Video Converter. There doesn't appear to be a time limit with this program, but if you go over the capacity of the disc in bytes, it will compress the videos in order to fit, somewhat reducing the quality.
Be sure, if you decide to use this program, to watch the installation carefully, to opt out of the included search toolbar, and other possibly unwanted programs.

Last edited by VTphotog; Sep 4, 2014 at 9:05 PM.
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2014, 10:31 PM   #3

thanks )
Old Sep 6, 2014, 9:49 PM   #4

Hey guys i do not have good news to report i downloaded a few programs, AVStoDVD, DVDflick, and ConvertXtoDVD (which wasn't freeware so i uninstalled it). The first two programs encoded and authored the dvd files (Video_ts, Audio_ts) but didn't continue to burn it to the disc. It left that up to me so I just burned the 2 folders as data using windows. Of course it plays on my laptop but since the point of all of this was to watch it on television my task has failed as neither disc is playable. It shows disc error on the TV. My question is this an issue of compatibility on my player or a software issue? I used all default settings and my dvd player plays other dvds I have burned in the past using programs I have long since forgotten the names of but these recent programs have produced discs that don't work.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 10:10 PM   #5

Try Majorgeeks.com for tons of free and share ware programs. There is a tab for CD/DVD/Blu-Ray .
DVDflick is one that should suit your needs.

Last edited by VTphotog; Sep 6, 2014 at 10:11 PM. Reason: typo
Old Sep 6, 2014, 11:44 PM   #6

DVDflick doesn't play on my DVDplayer but another program Sothink Movie DVD maker worked
Old Sep 8, 2014, 8:29 AM   #7

I have used DVDflick, DVD Fab, Nero (free version) and others, using DVD+, DVD-, single and dual layer. All created DVDs playable on my and others' players, including LG,Panasonic,Craig, and Phillips.
It sounds as if either your player is a bit sensitive, or the media you are using are. (or a combination) Possibly, there is a problem with your computer or DVD burner?
Old Sep 8, 2014, 11:30 AM   #8

well i already made 2 dvds on Sothink and it worked however when i tried to make another DVD it didn't work, none of the other programs worked at all