Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:44 AM   #1
JR1

Default New Sigma 150-600

Didn't know where else to post this

Picked up the new lens today.

Now I am NOT a writer so it will not be a review you will be used to, sorry.

Just looking at the box may give you some idea of just how HEAVY this lens is, it has handles.

To describe the lens as large and heavy would be like describing the QE2 as a large boat, it is MASSIVE and HEAVY, it may not look like it next to the Siggy150-500 but believe me that tells you NOTHING, it is one massive lens.

150-600 on the left, old 150-500 on the right.

The staff in London Camera Exchange, Plymouth said, Sigma knew the box wouldn't fit any bags in shops so they gave it handles, believe me you need them.

It is truly a great piece of kit.

It comes with a protective cover fro the front, the front of the hood is also rubber to help prevent damage

Looking at the front also doesn't really show you a lot of difference but the front element is much larger on the new lens.

When it comes to images I will be shooting some later but not with both lenses as that is pointless, comparing one with the other outside of a lab.

The overall finish blows the 150-500 and 120-400 away, et exudes quality, BUT and this is a massive BUT.

I have five tripods, used indoors, out, on site etc when using two/three cameras say at a wedding for vid, two are Carbon, and one a light weight Manfrotto.

I have tried them all, and the MINIMUM I have found sturdy/safe for rigidity are my Manfrotto 055CF and Giottos MTL9271B.

The Manfrotto 055XPROB with the 150-500 "just" took it (in my opinion) but allows too much vibration.

This lens needs a Gimbal, no question, would I use a Monopod, at a push, would I hand hold, well I am used to handheld, do it all the time, but believe me when I say the weight is exceedingly restrictive, it will hand hold, I am assuming that most people who get this lens at 1,600 will be either using it for work, or sports, or birding, where a support is a requirement, but if you dare to hand hold for any time, you will pay for it later when you need the paracetamol and whisky.

Is it a status symbol, come on, be honest, the majority of us like to have the best or to show what we have, tvs, cars, bikes, cameras, believe me I didn't even get out of LCE before three people wanted to try it, so, yep it ticks that box. IT DOES TURN HEADS.

New on the left

Larger hood on the left

https://www.facebook.com/JRSPhotography.co.uk
JR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2014, 5:22 PM   #2

Looking at the lens mount in pic 2 kinda signifies the size of this beast..!!!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2014, 8:49 AM   #3
JR1

I can not stress the weight and size enough

UV Filter The one on the right is from the 150-500

The only people that supply the 105mm filter are Sigma 110
Attached Images

https://www.facebook.com/JRSPhotography.co.uk
JR1 is offline   Reply With Quote