Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 11, 2014, 7:22 PM   #1

Default Has anyone bought a camera system on eBay from Japan?

I was browsing the camera listings on eBay recently and they have some incredible deals and excellent prices for compact camera systems. Many of these come from Taiwan or Japan, and the sellers have excellent (98% plus) feedback scores. Where else can I buy a mirrorless camera with TWO lenses for under $500? I am just reluctant to take the plunge, even though the return policy seems quite fair. Has anyone had experience with these vendors?
Thank you.
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:14 PM   #2

The problem with buying a camera from a vendor outside the US is that there's no warranty. It's referred to a 'Gray Market', as in, not quite 'Black Market'.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2014, 9:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The problem with buying a camera from a vendor outside the US is that there's no warranty. It's referred to a 'Gray Market', as in, not quite 'Black Market'.
Too bad that's the case. There's a Fuji X-A1 with two kit lenses for $450 but it's from Japan. And they have them in silver, whereas in the U.S., they only offer the A-X1 in black, brown or blue. It's almost a risk worth taking, when you consider that the Fujinon 50-230mm OIS lens sells for $400.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 1:57 PM   #4

If all goes well, you've saved yourself a big chunk of cash (minus whatever shipping costs might be.)

But that's a big "IF".
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2014, 2:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
If all goes well, you've saved yourself a big chunk of cash (minus whatever shipping costs might be.)

But that's a big "IF".
The eBay vendors selling this kit all have 98% plus feedback scores, so I am confident the products are brand new. But as you said, the warranty will not be valid in the U.S. However, I went to the Fuji website and read their statement about "gray market" cameras. While they will not honor an international warranty in the U.S., they will repair the camera, but "only at current, standard service rates." I presume, however, that if I took insurance out on the kit with Mack or Worth Ave. Group, the repairs would be covered by them. And I checked, and there are no duty fees or tariffs on this item. So the total cost would be $450 with free shipping: Fuji X-A1 + 16-50mm & 50-230mm lens. Since Amazon is selling the X-A1 for $449 with the kit lens (16-50mm), it's basically like getting the 50-230mm lens for free! Oh, what a temptation this is for my Christmas stocking!

Last edited by Justinian; Dec 12, 2014 at 2:13 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 3:21 PM   #6

You also might want to look into this:http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-X-A1-...ords=Fuji+X-A1
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2014, 5:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
You also might want to look into this:http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-X-A1-...ords=Fuji+X-A1
Thanks. I saw this featured on the Adorama website and would have grabbed it if the body was black. I just cannot wrap my head around a blue camera. I also emailed Adorama to ask if they would sell me this kit with a black body, but have not yet received a response.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 5:43 PM   #8

I have never noticed that the body color affected the photographs significantly. YMMV
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2014, 5:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
I have never noticed that the body color affected the photographs significantly. YMMV
LOL. True enough!
Old Jan 20, 2015, 2:21 PM   #10

I admit that I have in the past (Canon 5D) and have had no issues, it certainly is risky business though in terms of warranty and there are a lot of laws that differ. Of course the seller being an out and out scammer is another!
photobro is offline   Reply With Quote