Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 1, 2004, 10:11 PM   #1

Default Pentax's new 4 MP Cameras

I am in awe at the new Pentax S40 and S4i. They look so cool and the features are almost endless for a camera of this category. I love them! I had been thinking about the Canon S400, but I MIGHT change my mind. But I am waiting for reviews of them first (*hint hint Steve*). What do you all think of the 2 new cameras? Pentax has info, how do they match up to the Canon S400?
Jamaica is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2004, 4:34 AM   #2

Haven't got a clue about the cameras but just wanted to say welcome to a fellow poster who hails from Jamaica. I left Jamaica many many moons ago. Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2004, 9:30 AM   #3

Just read the review of the S4. The S4i will likely have the slight vignetting at wide angle and slight corner softness. It is the same camera and lens. The only thing on the S4i that appeals to me is the 1.8 inch LCD. Otherwise the S4 is as good. Most of the added features are gee-haws for my use. The S4 has the super macro, manual focus, interval timer, operates as a voice recorder etc. Some people might find the cradle useful.

The S4 can be had for about $270 delivered after the rebate. The S4i is likely to start out at $100 more.

A little corner vignetting and even corner softness isnít bad. The top pros in the film days went to a lot of trouble in the darkroom to achieve that effect. Nobody ever notices the corners arenít quite as sharp unless they are inspecting for corner softness. Same crowd that shows images 100% so they can be scandalized by the noise Ė yet again.

I ordered a S4 a couple days ago. I donít much like going down 1Mp in my pocket camera but I have accumulated too much stuff I want to always carry like my Palm Tungsten and cellphone. I like the images and features of the S4 just fine.

The S40 just looks like a cheap camera to me. They put the small LCD on it to emphasize the point. You probably have to buy NiMH batteries and charger if you donít already have them Ė standard in entry level cameras. The camera will likely go further on a set of batteries than the S4i though, and spares are cheap once you have the charger.

I donít think any of them are quite as good as the S400. But I chose the camera I currently have over the S400 and am replacing it with the S4. It comes down to size for me. IMO the Minolta G500 is a much better buy than the S400 if you want something in that size range. It has 5Mp, aperture and shutter priority along with manual and even a zone manual focus. It seems to do everything well and is cheaper than the S400. You might notice that Steve has the G500 in the best of 2003 for pocketable cameras but not the S400.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2004, 6:59 PM   #4

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info, I will be reading. But could you tell me where you found the reviews of the S40 and S4i? And why they are not better than the S400/S410? Hello to you also fellow Jamaican.
Jamaica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2004, 7:59 PM   #5

There are no reviews out yet on the S4i and S40. But the S and S4 have the same lens and both had about the same corner softness. And they both vignetted slightly at the widest angle. I would be very surprised if the new ones had eliminated that. It might be worth waiting for the reviews to confirm that. The main Pentax site has a good rundown of the features.

Some people are more bothered by a little corner softness than others. I actually have to look for it as the subject doesnít usually extend to the corners. There is often sky or pavement where you canít tell anyway. It would be a rare picture that would suffer from the corners being a little soft in my experience. But some people are bothered by it. The S400 is sharper in the corners as is the G500 compared to the Pentax S series.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote